Another new 3D printer...

Hutch

I posted this in 'chat' a couple of days ago but as nobody has commented I thought I'd post it here as well.

We have just ordered one of these (10" version) for my DT dept at school which arrived yesterday. It's certainly got potential as it came with an example chess piece from the company with virtually NO 'strata' visible on the outer surface. If I can get a good photo of the rook (including an internal spiral staircase) I'll upload it.

The videos on the website show some amazing prints and we are very excited about its potential. Especially as the machine cost in the hundreds and not thousands.....

Will let you know how it goes and the 'modelling' possibilities....

Hutch

http://www.photocentric3d.com/

• Like 4

Hi Hutch

please do post some images, would love to see how this goes as I reckon 3D Printing could be a large part of our hobby in years to come. My wife has just "invested" in a Crickut pattern cutter that works with paper, fabric, vinyl (hello home made masks!) and even plastic (hello multiple copies of flat components e.g. bulheads, formers, deck boards etc) so with that to handle the flat stuff, I just need to convince her she needs a 3D Printer.....

Cheers

DC

• Like 1

I'll be interested in seeing how this performs. I am looking at making some bits and bobs as well and sending them to Shapeways to get printed. My school is too tight to buy a 3d printers, but they are perfectly happy to buy Apple Macs. Looks promising tho :)

DaveCromie, my gf had a Cricut and her old man has bought one as well. I had the same idea as you did, I tried a few masks, but at the scale I work at (1/144) the paper just tore. I will have to look into this one further. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Sorry for not posting anything yet but as our laser cutter gave up the ghost on friday and we are in the midst of GCSE, AS and A2 exams the new 3D printer has taken a back seat for the moment. Hopefully something will happen by the end of the week.......

Hutch

I'll be interested in seeing how this performs. I am looking at making some bits and bobs as well and sending them to Shapeways to get printed. My school is too tight to buy a 3d printers, but they are perfectly happy to buy Apple Macs. Looks promising tho :)

I had some of my dept budget left over as we head for the end of the school year so I took the plunge and bought this machine. We have another 3D printer that we have had for 4 years (works on the 'hot glue gun' principle) but is beginning to lose its accuracy so it was just about time to invest. This machine is certainly interesting and if the example piece (print layer size 25 microns) is anything to go by we might have a winner, not only for the classroom but maybe for the modelling room as well. Watch this space....

As for Apple Macs...... don't get me started :frantic:

Hutch

• Like 1

Hi Hutch

thanks for keeping us up to date, fingers crossed for better news in the near future!

Hi Dazz

1/144 I can hardly see that small!!!! Even big planes look tiny in that scale! I work mainly in 1/72 but 1/48 is looming large in my future!

DC

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had some of my dept budget left over as we head for the end of the school year so I took the plunge and bought this machine. We have another 3D printer that we have had for 4 years (works on the 'hot glue gun' principle) but is beginning to lose its accuracy so it was just about time to invest. This machine is certainly interesting and if the example piece (print layer size 25 microns) is anything to go by we might have a winner, not only for the classroom but maybe for the modelling room as well. Watch this space....

As for Apple Macs...... don't get me started :frantic:

Hutch

Hi Hutch

thanks for keeping us up to date, fingers crossed for better news in the near future!

Hi Dazz

1/144 I can hardly see that small!!!! Even big planes look tiny in that scale! I work mainly in 1/72 but 1/48 is looming large in my future!

DC

Hey Hutch,

Have you had any success with this?

I was just reading on the Shapeways blog that most often than not, a 3D scan of an object doesn't have any copyright holdings. Was an interesting read to say the least.

I have decided what my first project for this will be, designing a 1/144 BL775 bomb, as afar as I am aware none exist at all in 1/144 scale. Kinda shocking really.

Dave, 1/144 isn't that bad, it's great on shelf space! lol You can get away with missing a lot of the details due to the size of it. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Dave, 1/144 isn't that bad, it's great on shelf space! lol You can get away with missing a lot of the details due to the size of it. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

LOL! Fortunately shelf space isn't an issue for me ....yet. Missing details due to "scale" however would be a great way to hide my finger fumbling efforts!

DC

• 3 months later...

A colleague of mine recently bought Kossel Mini kit

https://www.think3dprint3d.com/Kossel-Mini-3dPrinter-Kit

With 30 micron (0.03 mm) resolution, reasonable footprint and price of £540 I'm starting to think that perhaps it's time to start thinking about getting one of these toys.

I have seen the results of its work - that is definitely something that can be used for our needs.

• Like 1