Photo etch cutters

GordonM

Having dabbled with PE, I'm not finding cutting using a knife satisfactory, either the parts ping off or bend. I've looked at the Tamiya PE Scissors and also the Xuron side cutters. Can anybody suggest which is better? It appears the Tamiya would fit into tiny spaces easier, but the Xuron look easier to line up along a fret. Any advice or opinions gratefully received please!

Gordon,

The important thing about cutting PE is to take several 'cuts' at it rather than trying to get through first time, Second important thing is to cut on an unyeilding surface (the reverse side of a piece of laminate flooring is very good) and finally, put the PE on some sellotape, from which you have de activated most of the 'stickiness'. You could throw more money at PE cutters, that's for sure!

I bought a pair of embroidery scissors for about £4 from boyes. The cutting blades are short and very sharp whilst the handles longer so you get a decent amount of cutting force. As well as PE they also work a treat on Flightpath etched nickel silver, which is much tougher.

Hth,

Tom.

I've used various types of scissors to cut p.e. and I find the best scissors for me are the ones from Wilkinsons. They are the small ones with bright orange handles and I have even cut new and intricate shapes from left-over p.e. sheet.

Mike

In a rare moment of reckless spending, I bought some of the Xuron cutters and haven't regretted it since! They cut through etch like a hot knife through butter and make working with etch much less frustrating, with virtually no time spent hunting for parts that have befallen the carpet monster. After cutting and trimming parts from the etch frame, there is almost no need for clean up of tag scars they cut so cleanly. They would be more appealing if they were a few quid cheaper, but if you can splash the cash then they are my weapon of choice.

Mark.

• Like 1

Cheers guys for the advice, I've spent a whole £4 on a pair of side cutters from Hobbycraft to see how they go. I'm not sure they'll last years, but for the moment it will be interesting to see how they perform.

Cheers guys for the advice, I've spent a whole £4 on a pair of side cutters from Hobbycraft to see how they go. I'm not sure they'll last years, but for the moment it will be interesting to see how they perform.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiskars-Needlework-Scissors-12-5-cm/dp/B0001P08LA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1463647004&sr=8-4&keywords=fiskars+scissors

You can cut into the fret and these and then around the part, hard up against the edge of the part [the tags staying on the fret]. That way the cut is clean and leaves little or no cleaning up to do prior to assembly.

David Parkins

Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

• 9 months later...

superdrug nail scissors have worked well for me, although I did have to buy the missus a new pair to stop her moaning when she had to search the man cave for them.