Removing Halfords Primer on clear parts?

Deadman Disciple

Im just removed the masking tape off the nacelle domes on my JJ'Prise, but ive got a little paint bleed on the raised parts ive sprayed in halfords primer & white.

Ive tried both IPA & white spirit with a cotton bud, but they havent worked.

I need something that will remove the primer & that wont hurt the clear nacelle dome parts.

Cheers in advance,

Wayne.

Edited by Deadman Disciple

An ammonia cleaner (as opposed to a cleaner 'with ammonia') might work; it's good for removing acrylic paint which is resistant to solvent cleaner, and won't harm the plastic. I found this one in a local hardware store for a couple of quid:

KleenOff.jpg

I use Revell paint remover (the e-mail colour bottles) to remove paint from clear parts - the main reason I bought it was that it was good on clear parts. It might work on Halfords Primer too.

Hth

Tom

As the company I work for sells chemicals, I asked the chemical section supervisor if she had a spare drop of ammonia, but unfortunatley she didnt have any.

She gave me some IPA last year in a 100ml bottle (as she had some spare)

Then she told me that she had some spare chloroform & that its stronger than ammonia & bubbles up paint on contact, but she isnt sure if it will hurt the clear plastic.

My wife says some nail varnish remover might do the trick & if she remembers she'el pick some up from any of the chemists in town.

Try WD40, you'd be surprised at what it can do....and it actually shines canopies to boot.

A

Hmm,

I have some at home under the sink somewhere.

Looking at that link you put up & googleing "can WD40 remove car primer" the results that the crappy PC at work will actually let me into, that sounds promising.

I assume using a cotton bud dipped in neat WD40 & then a damp cloth dipped in soapy water to clean after will be fine?

Cheers,

Wayne

Hmm,

I have some at home under the sink somewhere.

Looking at that link you put up & googleing "can WD40 remove car primer" the results that the crappy PC at work will actually let me into, that sounds promising.

I assume using a cotton bud dipped in neat WD40 & then a damp cloth dipped in soapy water to clean after will be fine?

Cheers,

Wayne

That will work, microbrushes are better as you can control the spread...test on a small area, first. Remove with a good detergent i.e washing up liquid,

A

Sadly, the WD40 didnt work.

It removed a little of white on top of the primer, but the primer still remains.

However, you were right about the shine it leaves behind.

I put the nacelles together last night & TBH the domes dont look too bad, as most of the primer is in the far edges of the dome & the inner sidewalls of the nacelles have disguised them a little.

The chemical supervisor is going to bottle me a little of the chloroform up & I will test a little of that on a scrap piece of the clear sprue first.

Thanks again guys, for all your help.

Wayne.

My last suggestion is Mr Levelling Thinner, this stuff is near miraculous but though something tells me it could eat a canopy although I just tried some on a piece of clear Airfix F-51 sprue and it didn't even leave a mark, just removed some Mr Color overspray that the wd40 shined up a treat. Oh, and it smells nices and makes you think warm fuzzy thoughts after 5 mins of inhaling...

A

Success......

The Chloroform I got from work worked a treat.

I sprayed a empty part of the clear sprue in the halfords primer, left it to dry.

Then dipping a cotton bud in the chloroform & slowly rubbed the sprue & the primer came off after a few seconds.

So far it does not look if the clear plastic has been attacked, been dry for 3 hours.

The trick is, once the primer is off, leave it to dry, dont wipe it off as cleaning it off with another tip or paper towelling will turn the clear part cloudy.

Although, I might test some WD40/soapy water on the chloroform while its wet, to see if the cloudyness can be removed.

Also use a facemask & rubber gloves & if you plan to use the gloves again, rinse with soapy water.

As a tip, when you mask, coat the edges with Klear. It will stop any bleed, and save you the hassle of trying to clean it up afterwards.

Hmm, i never would have thought about doing that with Klear.

I'll try that next time.

Cheers,

Wayne.

As a tip, when you mask, coat the edges with Klear. It will stop any bleed, and save you the hassle of trying to clean it up afterwards.

Really? That sounds like a plan; I'll give it a shot t'next time out -just apply masking, and brush some Klear on the edges of the tape, yes? :shocked:

(My next attempted canopy is the tiny blister of clear plastic on a 1/144 Stratojet that bootneck kindly supplied, so getting the 'frame' masked up right 'n' tight for painting is crucial!)