Humbrol Matt Cote

Starfighter

Hi guys,Forgive me if this subject has been discussed before, but I'm after a little advice. I have just sprayed the first matt coat, using the Humbrol product, on my 1/24 hurricane, and seem to be getting a very slight "Frosting" on one or two areas, and wondered if any of you might have any tips on why this might be happening ?

I'm using a brand new bottle of Matte cote, thinned with a brand new bottle of white spirit, and sprayed through my Badger 200 airbrush. I've not had this problem before, so is there something I'm not doing right ?

In all probability I shall finish the model with a satin coat anyway, but the matt makes a good base for weathering powders, etc. but I'm just wondering why I seem to get this effect, as it's never happened before.

Any advice would be gratefully received. I should state that I only use enamels, as I can't get on with acrylics ( Better the devil you know and all that !) :cheers:

• Like 1

The 'frosting' or white bloom effect is almost invariably caused by insufficient mixing. The white is the raw matting agent.

Damp, humidity & excessive temperature also have a negative effect, but I've used Humbrol Matt Coat for years without problems - as long as I've stirred it well!

• 3 weeks later...

Today I heard via my local model shop that a major stockist and trade supplier are now refusing to stock and sell Humbrol Matt varnish until they sort out this clouding and white bloom effect.

They have had no end of retailers returning this varnish.

So maybe there really is a problem with it, and it is not just us modellers.

The quality of all humbrol products has fallen dramatically, if they are not careful no one will buy it anymore. There are a lot of alternative paints out there now.

I have bought all 3 of the acrylic clears here in Australia and both the matt and semi matt have had the white frosting problem no matter how much you shake/stir them..the gloss I've had no problem with..the other two are basically unusable and total waste of money..

Leslie