Z10 Prototype HobbyBoss 1/72

Thank you.

I thought it was an interesting chopper as I saw an announcement for the kit on Amazon. The type never came to attention to me before.

I bought it and did some research then. I realized that the model represents the prototype who is not that well documented.

There are very few (about 3 to 5) pictures of the Prototype. The colour scheme printed in the manual better fits the mass production/serial type (Thunderbolt).

The provided canopy better fits Thunderbolt than the prototype.

The Thunderbolt is looking a bit more serious because it has an at least better looking exhaust system, convex side windows and is painted in flat/satin black.

In the meantime Hobbyboss has evolved the Kit into the Thunderbolt variant. I was too early.

http://www.hobbyboss.com/index.php?g=home&m=product&a=show&id=1210&l=en

I wanted to build it OOB but I had to correct a couple of things (push-rods handles steps) because they looked to odd to me.

Overall I'm fine with the kit and it is a nice build.

The Canopy looks a little blurry because the colour stop is already applied.

Edited by Stephan

>>You work really fast.

Unfortunately I don't work that fast. It took me a while to get there and the parts were already sanded as I started the airbrushing, which is the only thing I could do in between the posts. :whistle:

But thank you very much for your encouragement :)

Is it possible to post a preview picture?

Like a small picture and if you click it, the one with the higher resolution pops up.

• 2 weeks later...

The finished main rotor assembly

100_5004R.jpg

For whatever reason the fuselage of the prototypes were painted in a gloss finish.

I mixed a dark grey with blue and black. You can see that on the gear and the rotor hub.

This is the first time that I am using acrylic paint on a model and I do have my problems with it.

I do see all my nightmares about glossy finishes come true.

At my first attempt I used the airbrush with very low pressure (below 1bar) and had a good shiny finish,

but I had problems keeping the surface clean and always had some lint on it. Besides I don't have a carpet in my mancave and no idea where that all comes from.

I am now happy with using a brush to apply the varnish. If I have a lint (is lint the correct word here?) I simply brush it over the edge of the part.

It also worked well with the rotor blades which have a silk tone finish.

I thought about building a spray box with filtered ventilation.

How are you all dealing with that?

Edited by Stephan
  • Like 1

Tried to make the clamping straps a little smaller cause they seemed to broad in the first run on the left leg. Reached my workmanship limitations with this size.

100_5036R.jpg

Edited by Stephan
  • Like 6

The finished main rotor assembly

For whatever reason the fuselage of the prototypes were painted in a gloss finish.

I mixed a dark grey with blue and black. You can see that on the gear and the rotor hub.

This is the first time that I am using acrylic paint on a model and I do have my problems with it.

I do see all my nightmares about glossy finishes come true.

At my first attempt I used the airbrush with very low pressure (below 1bar) and had a good shiny finish,

but I had problems keeping the surface clean and always had some lint on it. Besides I don't have a carpet in my mancave and no idea where that all comes from.

I am now happy with using a brush to apply the varnish. If I have a lint (is lint the correct word here?) I simply brush it over the edge of the part.

It also worked well with the rotor blades which have a silk tone finish.

I thought about building a spray box with filtered ventilation.

How are you all dealing with that?

Hi Stephan. Looks great. The lint or dust in paintwork is a recurring problem for me. I spray in a small room in the house, and use acrylics most of the time. When the paint has dried I gently sand the paint with various grades of micromesh. This gets rid of any dust or lint which has settled in the paint. I usually brush on my gloss varnishbefore applying the decals, then spray the final varnish coat of Matt or stain varnish.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Tom.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I cut away the IFF Antennas because it seemed easier to make new ones and paint them before installation.

100_5086R.jpg

100_5087CR.jpg

seems a little to dark but I guess the gloss varnish will lighten it up like it did on the other parts.

Gun turret and belly antenna mount are already painted green, so it was needed to mask them.

The wires in the background will be used for the long range antenna on the port side.

Next thing I need to do is getting some micromesh ...

Edited by Stephan
switch to postimg.org
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I haven't had much time for modelling in the last weeks but now I have some little progress.

Painting reveals a nasty scar on the nose.

100_5165R.jpg

This Picture shows also the ugly onmolded wipers, which have been replaced with etched parts in the Thunderbolt version.

After following Toms advise cleaning surface mishaps with a micromesh and adding another layer of paint at these areas I am at the point to apply the glossy finish. 

100_5179R.jpg

Test fit the Landing Gear. Couldn't resist to paint some details at this stage.

Edited by Stephan
switch to postimg.org
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The serial number provided by the decal sheet didn't match my reference picture so I used the Xtradecal X72158 sheet to create mine.

The 1 got its missing nose from a part of a 7.

100_5223R.jpg

Applying the decals a day after going to the Biffy Clyro concert in Hamburg wasn't the best idea I've ever had ...

still a little bit shaky but somehow I managed to get all the ones seen on my ref. picture in place. 

100_5245CR.jpg

Thanks for watching

Edited by Stephan
switch to postimg.org

• 2 months later...

For the second layer of clear coat I mixed the Vallejo gloss varnish in a ratio of 1:3 parts with water. That worked much better for me.

Before painting I put the movable window parts in place with liquid mask to avoid getting colour inside of the cockpit.

It turned out to be difficult to take the window apart after painting and I broke a little piece of the frame.

100_5272C.jpg

Edited by Stephan
switch to postimg.org
  • Like 1

Looks good to me. I tend to use diluted PVA glue to temporarily fix windows/canopies for painting. It's much easier to get off afterwards and any excess scan be scraped away with a scalpel.

Cheers,

Tom.

Hello Tom your hint is very welcome here. As I opened the window on the other side the masking peeled of a part oft the paint :worry:.

I will definitely use your method on my next chopper. PVA is the white glue for wood isn't it?

Cheers,

Stephan

• Like 1

Yes, it is the wood glue. You only need a little applied with a cocktail stick in strategic places to hold in in place.

Looking forward to seeing your next helicopter build.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That's very nice work.

I'm pleased you didn't follow HB's recommendation to paint it Tyre Black when it's plainly a very dark blue. Similarly they specify the same Tyre Black for the Fierce Thunderbolt when it's a very dark green. I was going to convert my prototype but I ended up getting the second kit and building both. The registration of the national insignia in my prototype was rather poor. My Chinese military-political contact said the decal printer will probably end up in a 're-education facility' (:>).

They appear to be accurate and well-researched models - done by the HB A-team as distinct from some of their kits. I was inspired because I saw a couple fly over HK.

Z-10 in foreground, mostly complete WZ-10 at back with box of parts in between

IMG_5086_zpsmhr5mfsc.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for your kind words.

Nice to see that someone is working on the same subject.

Ed I think you matched the colour pretty good and made a nice model on your own.

I agree with you that HB has done a good job on making these models, but the painting instructions are absolutely wrong and some of the decals only fits thunderbolt.

The cannon is also wrong. The prototype had no housing and the muzzle break looks totally different.

The artwork on the box is showing a nearly correct Prototype indeed.

I'm a little uncertain about the PNVS. On the pictures I saw there is some kind of a supply cable with what looks to me like a retainer spring. I see that you have done some modifications to the mounting. Do you have seen any detailed pictures from the backside of the PNVS?

I had a weak moment where I couldn't keep my fingers at bay and so I did what you did and bought the WZ-10 too.

And to make the family complete I also bought the little sister Z-9.

There is another one coming up  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1070105-dreammodel-dm-720002-pla-army-z-9wa

100_5324R.jpg

But to be honest. I like the French Marine design much more.

cheers Stephan

Edited by Stephan
switch to postimg.org

Rebuilding the OADS "Omnidirectional Air Data Sensor"

First I'm drinking a wine. That leaves me with a good amount of aluminium material.

Then I cut off a small stripe and band that over the needle that I fixed in the wooden stick.

100_5325.jpg100_5327CR.jpg

Next thing to use is a jumper wire from a reel that needs to be honed down from both sides and rasp a little "v" in the middle where to fold.

100_5334R.jpg100_5336R.jpg

Because I had broken my foot last year, I have plenty of these thrombosis injectors who make pretty good Pitot tubes. 

Cut and sanded and put together so you get the idea. I used CA applied with a wire to put the parts together.

100_5328R.jpg100_5338R.jpg

And that's the result

100_5330CR.jpg100_5326R.jpg

Cheers Stephan

Edited by Stephan
switch to postimg.org
  • Like 3