Hi,

Over the past few weeks I've put this little collection of 1/72 scale 1930's fighters of the RAF together.

They are a mixed bag of Airfix and Matchbox kits, some old, and some new.

I must admit, they have all been a pleasure to build. Some of the kit decals couldn't be rescued owing to their +40 years age, but on the whole they went on ok. Additional decals came from friends half-used sheets. Thank you John and Chris.

These aircraft certainly add a little colour to the display shelf.

I have a couple more to build, but so far the collection includes:

Airfix - Demon, Bulldog, Gladiator, and a Gauntlet (converted from a Gladiator)

Matchbox - Siskin, and Fury.

I am in great admiration of those who can add the bracing wires.... you will see that I didn't. Life's too short, and well beyond my skill! ;-)

DSCF1872.jpg

DSCF1871.jpg

DSCF1873.jpg

DSCF1868.jpg

DSCF1867.jpg

DSCF1870.jpg

DSCF1859.jpg

DSCF1866.jpg

DSCF1863.jpg

Thanks for looking,

• Like 33

A really great collection of biplanes David. Seeing them together is most evocative of a particular era in British aviation. Glad to have seen this - I hope there's more coming! :thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 1

Hello,David - I think that rigging would scare me too but that doesn't detract from the fact that you have built a collection of beautifully built and finished biplanes.Pure nostalgia,;) All the best,Paul.

Are you aware that your gauntlet is missing some interplane struts on each side? the Gauntlet was a two bay aircraft. This was changed to single bay on the Gladiator.

Selwyn

Are you aware that your gauntlet is missing some interplane struts on each side? the Gauntlet was a two bay aircraft. This was changed to single bay on the Gladiator.

Selwyn

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Now I look at some reference photos, you are absolutely right - missing struts! Easily remedied, but I'm not sure how I missed these.

Mods to the Gladiator kit to convert it to a Gauntlet included:

Reshaped lower leading edge root.

Reshaped lower trailing edge root.

Reshaped upper trailing edge centre.

Removed/reshaped cockpit rear fairing.

Struts added to the undercarriage.

Enlarged opening to the engine cowling.

Removed wing guns.

It will need a windshield and gun sight when I find something suitable.

...and the missing interplane struts.

As a 75 year old, I too am "challenged " when it comes to rigging having tried many methods. I have found what is to me an acceptable "representative" method and I too model in 1 / 72 nd scale. I buy the thinnest piano wire (I forget the size) that is stocked in the local model shop and by trial and error, cut it to a fraction over length over length and while gripped in a pair of long nosed pliars, it can be "sprung" into position and retained with a tiny drop of Super glue applied with a tooth pick. If you get the lengths right, it results in a perfectly straight bracing wire and no more saggy stretched sprue rigging. Although I know the rivet counters would say the wire is too thick and I don't bother with rigging cabanes, I find it acceptable too me and it avoids that "sparse" look of no rigging. The most complex jobs I have done using this method are a couple of Matchbox Stranraers. Try it, you will be amazed how easy it is. When I work out how, I will post some pics.

Trev.

• Like 1

Lovely builds of a colourful era. Nice collection, what's next?

Next will be some Fleet Air Arm types from the 30's.

I have an unmade Matchbox Fury, that I will be converting into a Nimrod.

New tool Airfix Swordfish.

An old Airfix Demon that I will convert to an Osprey if possible.

They're lovely. I've contemplated backdating a Gladiator to a Gauntlet over the years, now I know it's doable.

Yes I think the new-tool Gladiator can be converted to a Gauntlet... Just don't forget the extra wing struts like I did! ;)

The hardest part to convert is the rear cockpit fairing. You need to add some material inside before you can file the shape to the correct profile, but without destroying the subtle detail of the fabric.

Are the Bulldog and Gauntlet from 5 and 19 Sqns respectively?

Hi Joseph,

Siskin is 29sqn

Bulldog is 41sqn

Fury is 43sqn

Demon is 604sqn

Gladiator is 73sqn

Gauntlet is 19sqn

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 1

Oh Yes !!!

It looks OK for me.

(except for the rigging, but I did not realise any)

Your Gauntlet looks very convincing for me.

Great work you did there. Polo.

:mike:

Very nice David. seeing how you've done those makes me feel a lot less wary about attempting some planes from this era. I do like your Gauntlet, 'specially with the extra struts,(I hadn't noticed) I'm keen on a couple of the reissued AZ ones but having seen this, I'm beginning to wonder. I've a copy of an Airfix mag article converting the old Glad to one of these. maybe I should try with a new one, it looks just right to my eye.:thumbsup:

Steve.

That's brilliant, now it really does look like a Gauntlet and you didn't use some fancy resin conversion that cost more than the kit did to do it, Well done David.

Trev.

That's brilliant, now it really does look like a Gauntlet and you didn't use some fancy resin conversion that cost more than the kit did to do it, Well done David.

Trev.

Thanks trev,

At least it looks more like a Gauntlet than a Gladiator now. There are probably more things that could be modified if you chose to, but there is certainly scope in this new-tool Airfix Gladiator kit to convert it easily.