Airfix 1/48 BAC TSR-2, XR222.

Airfix 1/48 BAC TSR-2, XR222.

Background:

The British Aircraft Corporation TSR-2 was a cancelled Cold War strike and reconnaissance aircraft developed by the British Aircraft Corporation (BAC) for the Royal Air Force
(RAF) in the late 1950s and early 1960s. The TSR-2 was designed to penetrate a well-defended forward battle area at low altitudes and very high speeds, and then attack high-
value targets in the rear with nuclear or conventional weapons. Another intended combat role was to provide high-altitude, high-speed stand-off, side-looking, radar and
photographic imagery and signals intelligence, reconnaissance. Some of the most advanced aviation technology of the period was incorporated in order to make it the highest-
performing aircraft in the world in its projected missions. Only one airframe flew and test flights and weight rise during design indicated that the aircraft would be unableto
meet its original stringent design specifications. The design specifications had been reduced as the results of flight testing.

The TSR-2 was the victim of ever-rising costs and inter-service squabbling over Britain's future defence needs, which led to the controversial decision to scrap the programme
in 1965. With the election of a new government, the TSR-2 was cancelled due to rising costs, in favour of purchasing an adapted version of the General Dynamics F-111, a
decision that itself was later rescinded as costs and development times increased. The replacements included the Blackburn Buccaneer and McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II, both
of which had previously been considered and rejected early in the TSR-2 procurement process. Eventually, the smaller swing-wing Panavia Tornado was developed and adopted by a
European consortium to fulfil broadly similar requirements to the TSR-2.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAC_TSR-2

"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR-2 got just the first three right ..."

Sir Sydney Camm, 1965.

Kit and Aftermarket:

DSCF3478.JPG

DSCF3479.JPG

DSCF3482.JPG

DSCF3483.JPG

DSCF3484.JPG

DSCF3485.JPG

DSCF3486.JPG

DSCF3487.JPG

DSCF3488.JPG

DSCF3490.JPG

Update One
A pretty standard start on the cockpit as expected. The details were removed as per Eduard's instructions and some dry fitting of the aftermarket seats is recommended to get the cockpit sides thinned down for them to fit properly.
DSCF3510.JPG
Then all the PE for the cockpit side walls was added.
DSCF3514.JPG
The front coaming was sanded so it had some flat areas as the kit part is rounded. Then once everything was cleaned up, a coat of badgers black primer applied.
DSCF3516.JPG
Then the grey parts were sprayed with Tamiya's XF-54, dark sea grey.
DSCF3521.JPG
Now this is where things get a bit wobbly....
I did take photos of the rest of the build up to being ready primer. Somehow the photos went walkabout so you'll have use your imagination for the rest of the cockpit, PE
fitting and main assembly of the fuselage etc.
So basically we jump to having everything ready for primer.
DSCF3817.JPG
DSCF3821.JPG
DSCF3825.JPG
  • Like 18

Got one of these in the stash with the big ed set, so I'll follow with interest. A nice start, and middle bit. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

Update Two

I had some undesired finishes on the smaller parts I primed with the grey Stynylrez.

So with the main fuselage and control surfaces I used black Stynylrez. The black has given a really nice finish.

This will also allow me to try out thin coats of the main colour to get a similar effect as if I had pre-shaded.

DSCF3845.JPG

• Like 4

I really love the fact that that the TSR-2 is so well known and so popular despite the fact that it was cancelled and never saw service.

Great start. I'm surprised by your choice of a dark primer though. I would have gone for a lighter colour if I was planning a light final coat. Would that be wrong?

• Like 1

Excellent. Looking forward to seeing your paint job.

She does look good in black though. Like something just out of the skunk works.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update Three

Moving on, the main painting has been completed.

This was done using Tamiyas XF-2 White which thinned heavily with Mr Color Thinners.

I put down several thin layers of paint and the concentrated on the centres of panels which gave a similar effect to pre-shading.

The painting in the undercarriage bays was done with Tamiya NATO black and Citadel Foundation Paint - Macharius Solar Orange.

The paintwork was carefully rubbed down and cleaned and then sealed with Alclad Aqua gloss.

DSCF4168.JPG

DSCF4171.JPG

Next up will be the decals and then some light weathering.

• Like 11

I trust you're a "WHIF" of '222?

She never flew and so didn't get as dirty as '219 did in her short flying career and as such,a clean TSR shows very little

in the way of panel lines.

She had a cosmetic restoration in the 80's and a complete restoration in 2004/2005,though she is missing many internal

and cockpit components.

Cockpit colours were actually BS381c 632 Dark Admiralty Grey

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Update Five

Weathering was achieved by using a mix of black and grime clay wash, thinned with vallejo airbrush thinner and applied as a pin wash.

Once dry, everything was given a matt varnish.

DSCF4194.JPG

DSCF4198.JPG

Final assembly has been completed and the finished aircraft is here:

• Like 3