Two Iosif Stalin 2s (IS-2) - Russian Heavy Tank - 1/48 Tamiya & 1/72 Italeri *Finished* and in the Gallery + now with Vignette base!

Intoduction taken from TANKS ENCYCLOPEDIA

A new standard in hell: The IS-2

1943 onwards - Heavy tank - 3,854 built

As the escalation between German and Russian engineers reached a new point with the introduction on the German side of the Panther and Tiger, plus the knowledge that something bigger was brewing, the IS-2 was pressed into service as soon as its main armament was ready. With partly sloped, 120 mm thick frontal armour and moreover, a new massive 122 mm main gun, the new heavy tank seemed to be just the trump card Stalin needed to wash over any armoured opposition on the Eastern Front. Or so it seemed on paper. In reality some shortcuts were taken to meet the expectations that will prove real issues in the long run, starting with the gun itself which was slow to reload and with bulky two-pieces naval ammunition that consumed the available room in the turret you can read more here at TANKS ENCYCLOPEDIA

This was a great looking tank and both the Tamiya and Italeri versions should make up into good looking models. The Italeri version was very kindly donated by Sgt.Squarehead and I'm intending to build it as part of this GB and then design a scene for it in the Vignette GB which starts on the 25th June.

First here's a photo of the box of the Tamiya Version which I will be starting first at the weekend:

26404848393_f11042b346_c.jpg

I'm also intending to use these with the Tamiya version:

26734812830_002ba1ba90_c.jpg

Then from the 25th of June onwards, to coincide with the Vignette GB, I will be building this one as well:

26734824550_31e67d0cb7_c.jpg

I am really looking forward to the weekend when I can get started on the Tamiya kit.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 10

Nice choice Stix,this GB has come around quick,those Tamiya 1/48 kit's really look superb my eldest has the Tiger with the metal hull on the go at

the moment,I was quite fancying an armour subject for this GB maybe the T-34 in one of its forms.

• Like 1

Nice choice Stix,this GB has come around quick,those Tamiya 1/48 kit's really look superb my eldest has the Tiger with the metal hull on the go at

the moment,I was quite fancying an armour subject for this GB maybe the T-34 in one of its forms.

The Tamiya 1/48 kits are usually a real joy to build and really well detailed........and definitely go for some armour! Probably going to be a lot of aircraft builds in this GB!

Looking forward to seeing what you decide to make.

Kind regards,

Stix

Pretty sure I sent you some references for this one, but if I didn't, I will.....Let me know. :coolio:

You certainly did, thank you, and I've been getting more stuff off the interweb too! :thumbsup:

Wow, you're quick out the blocks on this GB Stix. I like your choice of subject. I'm still trying to make my mind up :shutup: what to build!! Cheers Greg

Yeah I've really been looking forward to this GB (to be fair I look forward to all of them equally! - I wouldn't join up if I didn't think I'd have a great time!)

What sort of possible kits do you have in mind?

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi John. Thank you for the info about the kit. Shame about the figure. I was planning to use it but I'll wait and see now.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi John. Thank you for the info about the kit. Shame about the figure. I was planning to use it but I'll wait and see now.

Kind regards,

Stix

I felt the detail was a bit "Soft" compared to the rest of the kit. Perhaps in the hands of a better figure painter than me it could work.

Beware the carpet monster and the handles on the turret. I had to scratch a few from plastic rod after they went ping.

• Like 1

I felt the detail was a bit "Soft" compared to the rest of the kit. Perhaps in the hands of a better figure painter than me it could work.

Beware the carpet monster and the handles on the turret. I had to scratch a few from plastic rod after they went ping.

Thank you for the additional information. I must admit I haven't really had chance to look at the detail of the kit in detail yet but I will do some investigation when I get chance. I'll try to be extra careful with the handles too - I know these sorts of things can be a bit fiddly! On a 1/35 AFV Club Centurion, that I built at the end of last year, there were a few rows of tiny handles which did test my patience! :fight: Thank you for the heads-up!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you for the additional information. I must admit I haven't really had chance to look at the detail of the kit in detail yet but I will do some investigation when I get chance. I'll try to be extra careful with the handles too - I know these sorts of things can be a bit fiddly! On a 1/35 AFV Club Centurion, that I built at the end of last year, there were a few rows of tiny handles which did test my patience! :fight: Thank you for the heads-up!

Kind regards,

Stix

I Built the AFV Club Israeli Centurion. It was a challenge:

36DE3EE8-2C72-40FA-978C-9A9CE9C8F2FA-182

Found my Build!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935301-late-entrant-tamiya-148-js-2/

• Like 4

Your Centurion looks great John! And I know what you mean about a challenge. AFV's kit was definitely 'interesting' in places! This was mine:

24223987166_65cf460221_c.jpg

And thank you for the link to your excellent JS-2. Very nicely done - I will use your build thread as one of my references! :cheers:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 5

Yeah I've really been looking forward to this GB (to be fair I look forward to all of them equally! - I wouldn't join up if I didn't think I'd have a great time!)

What sort of possible kits do you have in mind?

Kind regards,

Stix

I'm thinking an armour subject, as I'm in the throws of completing a Tamiya Hanomag half track, and have quite enjoyed it. Theres a 1/48 Pz IVH in the stash that could be a contender, which I recently got a set of Tamiya Zimmerit for. I also have various aircraft that will fit the bill. IF I get enough time I may do a tank and a plane, cheers Greg :bye:

• Like 1

I'm thinking an armour subject, as I'm in the throws of completing a Tamiya Hanomag half track, and have quite enjoyed it. Theres a 1/48 Pz IVH in the stash that could be a contender, which I recently got a set of Tamiya Zimmerit for. I also have various aircraft that will fit the bill. IF I get enough time I may do a tank and a plane, cheers Greg :bye:

Ooh I like the idea of the Pz IVH! And with Zimmerit! The problem for me, if you decide to built it, will be that I'll probably want to get one!! I'd be interested to see that build. Don't forget the Vignette GB is coming up as well so the IVH might fit the base size. Just a thought......

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

These look like they will look very cool stix, I will try and keep track (, you don't have to say it! I know I am hilarious) of these......

Rob

:rofl: ..................now get your :coat:

Also, and my knowledge of tanks is poor, but I am sure there is one of these parked outside the army surplus on the Hereford road...

Rob

There is a Russian tank there but I think it's a T-34/85. I managed to find some photos online. :coolio:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Smooth, I have always been told it was a t 38 (I was supposed to put 34), but this has not tallied with pictures I have seen.... But saying that I have never really checked.

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

Looking forward to this one Stix :popcorn::popcorn:

Hi Nigel. Yes I've been looking forward to getting this GB's builds underway and I managed to get some work started this morning.

First off some sprue photos -

The Tamiya kit:

27049533162_a9eea9ed91_c.jpg

Detail views - I have to say; Tamiya's 1/48 kits do have excellent detail:

26870208910_76d7190289_c.jpg

27111193876_f0e38d8bc7_c.jpg

27075961711_f2b6a04bf9_c.jpg

26540298213_88d2a29cdd_c.jpg

Poly-caps, weights and decals:

27049543552_7be2823b49_c.jpg

The Hauler photo-etch - not sure if I'll use it all:

26540292073_f023b1ec59_c.jpg

An information sheet about the IS-2:

27075935211_ddf326305f_c.jpg

The instructions:

27144319715_d9424c9051_c.jpg

27075669651_e945cd6d02_c.jpg

Possibly the version I'll make it as:

26869944400_1b6835055e_c.jpg

26540022023_5a6baf245d_c.jpg

The Italeri 1/72 version:

26869939550_9e5508f7ee_c.jpg

Some detail views:

26538558544_ed0ae212b2_c.jpg

27144361385_2d216d8458_c.jpg

27049231052_2b5c2ca662_c.jpg

26538547054_6d2553c45c_c.jpg

Decals:

27049225942_1472c9fa78_c.jpg

Instructions:

26540021013_e65acc9984_c.jpg

26540020113_d65084ea06_c.jpg

Possible schemes for the Italeri kit - not sure which I'll use yet - it may depend on what I decide to do for the base for the Vignette GB:

27075683731_e4b0a51d21_c.jpg

This is what I started with when I began work on the 1/48 Tamiya version - weights added first:

26538535764_76f47615c3_c.jpg

27110885806_c1f7a077d8_c.jpg

This is a later version of the Tamiya 1/48 range because it comes with these weights rather than a metal hull. This means there is much more detail on the hull sides - which is a good thing.

Hulls sides and ends glued in place:

27110869096_e948eebfdc_c.jpg

The instructions suggest the spare tracks should be added early on but I'm going add them after the main hull painting is complete.

Well it's a start. More later I hope.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

Minor afternoon update:

I have started painting the lower hull and wheels but the paint is so close a match to the plastic colour that it's not worth a photo just yet. I'm going to do some weathering tomorrow so I'll take a couple of photos after that.

I also decided to try out some of the PE. The spare tracks are held in place on the real tanks on the front and rear of the lower hull with small rectangular sections of metal which are bolted in place. Tamiya do have these molded onto the spare tracks but Hauler provide some replacements:

26544436364_914656fe99_c.jpg

The rectangular section and bolt head are separate pieces and very small!! They were a little fiddly to do but there aren't too many required. Tamiya's version is pretty good really but I bought the PE so I'll use it.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 5

Cheers Ozzy. It's been a nice and relaxing build so far! Most enjoyable. The fit of these Tamiya kits is brilliant.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Nice progress.

I think the Tamiya figure is ok...

IS-2%20finished%20Jan%2021st%201%201%20o

It's a great kit it just needs a touch of Surfacer on the turret weld seams and hull front weld seam to blend in the join lines.

Look forward to seeing more progress.

Plasto

• Like 3