GAZ AS-1, Unimodel 1/48 airfield starter *Finished*

I spotted this on one of the model shop websites, and thought that with two kits that it was something of a bargain ...

GPW_AS1_000.jpg

The kit contains a truck (GAZ-AS1) and a Yak-1b.

The Yak-1b is the Modelsvit / South Front kit, which I'll put to one side for now - I've been tempted to the dark side, by that truck. (If I recall correctly, I did build a trusk once, years ago, the Italeri Opel Blitz.) While there is a Normadie-Nieman decal option in the box, it is not the one shown on the lid.

I've been trying to research the GAZ-AS1, and it seems that the chassis is the GAZ-MM, possibly the earlier GAZ-AA. There was another version built the AS2 on the GAZ-AAA chassis, which was very similar but had six wheels rather than 4.

Having found some scale drawings of the truck, I will have to modify the truck bed and omit a few parts.

A couple of queries I have about markings:

• I'm not sure if all Russian trucks carried markings - some had what looks like registration details on the cab doors, and on the back flap(?). These are not clear in all photos.
  • The kit has instructions for one version (A-3-18-56) as shown on the box top.
    There are decals for other vehicles on the sheet, including some French roundels (Normandie-Niemen?) that I'd like to know more about.

Gaz_AS_Decals.jpg
Edited by Robert Stuart
  • Like 4

A few images of starter trucks in action ...

12.jpg

GAZ-AS1. Note, no numbers or codes on the cab door.

470a66d6c75563ce00a83dc4fe6c9028.jpg

Starter truck with biplane. Note shaft below the crossed support rods

1504071231062060013147619.jpg

GAZ-AS2 starting a LaGG-3

889c53820637.c5wynzgmc7ww8k4c4ss8k484c.e

Starter truck behind an I-16

post-297-0-46617100-1361110033.jpg

GAZ-AS2 with Il-2. Note the spare wheel on the mud-guard.

Edited by Robert Stuart
  • Like 3

This looks like a cool build. Starter trucks are very interesting, I've always wanted to build an RAF Model T Ford Huck's Starter at some point.

Edited by paul_c
  • Like 1

Yes, Model T based starter would be good too, it would be a fun build. IIRC Airfix magazine had a conversion from their car kit.

Strangely enough, this truck is a Ford design - based on the Model A car which replaced the Model T car.

Ford developed the Model AA lorry on the Model A chassis, which the Russians then built under licence as the GAZ AA.

The GAZ MM (which I believe is the base for this build) was their AA lorry with a more powerful engine

According to Wikipedia, theres a British connection too, the Ford AA was the first vehicle off the Dagenham production line

• Like 1

Please be very careful of the vinyl tyres in this kit.....They may well eat your wheel-hubs! :shutup:

My two UM SU-85Ms were left with nasty scarring from contact with the hideously caustic wheel-rim tyres UM insanely chose to include in the kit.....Scroll to the bottom of this page for images (not mine):

http://henk.fox3000.com/um.htm

Might be worth leaving one of the tyres in contact with some sprue from the kit for a week or so.....It should be obvious if there's a problem by then. :shrug:

Pretty sure several sets of aftermarket wheels are available for this kit, possibly including some with tyre chains if you fancy something a bit chillier than the usual. :nerd:

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up Sgt. I'll run the test as you suggest.

I found two AM kits that might be useful for this build:

Both kits are by Hauler, I may have to go direct to source, both seem to have 2-3 week waits at other online shops.

Tyre chains would be cool, but they are for the 6x4 model :(

Edited by Robert Stuart
  • Like 1

The first thing in the destructions is ... assembling the wheels. Obviously, given Sgt Squarehead's advice (above), that's a no, or maybe, "not today".

Well, I wasn't going to add them at this stage anyway.

There are two main colours for this green for the cab and truck bed, and black for the chassis. Maybe with some winter white thrown in for a bit of light relief.

Anyway, there are some usable painting groups assemble before I start splashing around.

Here's a start

The cokpit at the back - doesn't EVERYTHING starts with the 'pit around here?

I have no idea what the brass is for, it will be added and left empty. Theres no battery, so it couldn't be that ... could it?

GPW_AS1_005.jpg

Oh. I keep comming across little problems that prove this isn't a Tamygawa kit, but that it should be treated as a short run model.

• The instructions call for one type of tow hook, and another is supplied.

GPW_AS1_004_01.jpg

Either could be used, indeed, the best drawing I found shows no tow hook.
  • More annoying, the rear leaf springs have location pegs to fit location holes. These are shown in the instructions, but never made it to the kit.
  • Like 1

So the kit may eat itself in places and the instructions don't always match with what's provided............sounds like fun! :popcorn:

Good luck! Looks like an interesting project despite the issues!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Talking 1/72, Hasegawa also do a Hucks starter on an Isuzu chassis, which could also be used as pieces for an RAF example. I do have another UM moulding with a GAZ truck and an I-153, so I wonder just how many options of these there are around.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

I've got the UM 1/72 version.....It's on the the AAA six wheel chassis:

umd321.jpg

I believe the 1/72 AA based kit Graham is referring to is from Military Wheels rather than UM:

MLW7236.jpg

http://henk.fox3000.com/MilitaryWheels.htm

I believe the truck parts are completely different to those from UM.....The wheels certainly are. :nerd:

PS - My sympathies about the missing and mislabeled parts.....UM & Mirage Hobby seem to be having a competition to see who can be the most random in what they actually include in their boxes. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Dug it out - it is under the MW or Military Wheels label, number 7236, and is the GAZ AA-based AS-1. Presumably the same tooling? Hannants only has the standard trucks and a bowser under the UM label, and nothing under MW.

The sprue layout is completely different and the MW kit has all plastic wheels.....QED it's a different tool. :nerd:

UM were formerly known as SKIF.....They have now split into two parts, UM & UMMT:

http://henk.fox3000.com/ummt.htm

MW are an odd bunch.....Their kits do not always contain the same plastic. Their T-34 conversions have been known to include Eastern Express parts or very similar but differently laid out sprues with parts of subtly different dimensions from an unknown manufacturer. See the MW pages at Henk of Holland & OTW! for more info:

http://henk.fox3000.com/MilitaryWheels.htm

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/kitlists/mwmodelskits.htm

• Like 1

I don't know, you go away for the week-end and you wind up at the bottom of page two ...

Anyway, pogress of sorts.

Tyres

I'm still running a test of those vinyl tyres. From browsing around, the problem isn't unique to UM, but has been encountered with several brands, even Tamiya!

The solution seems to be to use a protective layer of acrylic paintbetween the tyre and the plastic. This thread seems to cover it ... http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=85846&p=1

As a fall back, I've ordered some resin wheels, but hope not to need them ...

The build

I've started working on the truck bed. So far as I can tell from the drawings, the AS1 had a short truck bed, so, the first move was to lop a bit off

GPW_AS1_006.jpg

Shortened truck bed - you can also see I've made a start on the power feed for the starter.

GPW_AS1_007.jpg

Additional prep for the truck, opening up the gaps between the planks. Whether this weathering will survive paint I don't know yet.

• Like 5

I do like that.....Very nicely done. :thumbsup:

TBH I'd use the resin wheels.....You've already paid for 'em, a barrier protection only works for so long and vinyl tyres always crack and crumble eventually anyway. :coolio:

• Like 1

I think the resin wheels are way nicer then the kit ones as the kit rims don't look quit right even. What I do for wood grain is to take a really coarse sanding stick or even sand paper and rake it along the boards, you can work up a nice grain that way, then paint the parts in the base color, then I give them a wash in a light wood color and wich brings out the grain, after which I add strategic chipping in said color. Looks like you're getting off to a good start :)

• Like 1

GPW_AS1_008.jpg

Razor saw it is then, simply because I started gluing up the truck, and wouldn't get a sanding block into that space.

Cab, power tower (?) and truck bed are placed on the chassis in this image, Painting starts soon ...

Edited by Robert Stuart
  • Like 3

Busy GB or whay? Go away for a week-end, and your thread is half way down page 2? This must be popular :)

Progress, of sorts

The wheels arrived Friday, but I could only get them primed today.

GPW_AS1_009.jpg

I've started painting the chassis, cab and truck bed ...

GPW_AS1_010.jpg

GPW_AS1_011.jpg

The 'cargo' is the exhaust pipes.

I wont paint the whole engine. The bonnet really has to be built closed so the engine will be invisible when the vehicle is on it's feet.

There is enough starter detail there that, if the bonnet was replaced (with brass, say) it could be open, but ... maybe that's a build for somebody else.

• Like 4

I'll try to get a photo where I haven't messed about with the colours - I had great fun this afternoon adding black & white stains and washes to the mud-guards and especially to that truck bed.

• Like 1