Beagle Basset Decals

Andy Robbins

Did anyone (for example Modeldecal) do any sheets for the Basset? My kitstarters arrived today, and in the spirit of the reissues, Airfix have replicated the original 1968 decals that are missing loads of stencils. Given that Modeldecal would often include 'extras' on their sheets, I'm just wondering if the Basset was added to any of them?

Andy

I don't think Modeldecal ever did a Basset - in fact I can't think of any aftermarket Basset decals.

Unless somebody knows different?

(And just after I posted this my two Bassets arrived from Airfix - I see what you mean about the kit decals but they are so much better than those in the original issue).

Same here. Took delivery of mine today and the transfers are limited to say the least. On the upside no stencil fatigue to be incurred and they are at least good quality as I would imagine any in the original off evilbay would be unuseable.

I was going to post a plea for decals! Not only is it the original 1968 issue, but the fonts are wrong for the RAF serials

The only aftermarket decals for the Basset were a set for the Royal Flight aircraft by 26 in their AirDecal range (7205) as part of a Royal Flight set, but they are out of stock/production now. I have a set from the second Airfix release I must dig out.

http://www.26decals.com/epages/62035508.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62035508/Products/ADTS7205

I did email them when the Kitstarter was confirmed suggesting there might be scope for a re-issue or new set with Transport Command, Royal Flight and ETPS options on it, so who knows. Alternatively, there is a scope for some other enterprising decal producer!

Edited by Dave Fleming

Some basset inspriration. Other than stencils and badges, most can be done from standard roundel/serial sets if you have them.

ETPS scheme 1

basset-i.jpg

ETPS Scheme 2
Beagle_B-206_Basset_CC2,_UK_-_Air_Force_

Later carried Qinetiq logos as well

Royal Flight

13871755835_7a03913fe7_b.jpg

RAF Post 1968 (No transport Command)

42891_800.jpg

Need to check if any ever carried 'Air Support Command' or 'Strike Comand' titles, at least one title-less aircraft (XS777) was used as support for the BBMF

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

It's the stencils that worry me. A lot of them are sourcable, but the real pain are the chop lines around the Windows, etc, as well as yellow step/ no step lines. Someone ought to do a generic set of dotted lines and corners in various colours and sizes. Are you listening, Fantasy Printshop or Mike Grant.....

As Dave says, there are the AirDecal "Royal Flight" decals, but they don't help so far as stencilling/detailing parts are concerned.

With the Airfix KitStarter model now distributed, I hope that some or other enterprising producer will use the opportunity to help out.

The Airfix KitStarter Basset - as was advertised - has the original instruction sheet showing the lower part of the aircraft as being finished in silver, whereas in fact the version depicted should - I understand - be light grey.

Don

Edited by aircraftkit
  • Like 1

Mine arrived today too. The plastic seems quite clean though a little flash on the props. As far as I know there was very little stencilling on the airframe except for those in the kit decals and fire panels on the engines and the chop lines mentioned above. I have a couple publications with beagles so I'll have a closer look at the pics.

For what its worth, I think the re was some stroy going around about the RAF Basstes in that the props were too long and thye scraped the ground so they had to be altered. I don't know the full accurate facts but thats the gist of it.

And as for Royal Navy ones they never had any. But if you want a what if one its up to you.

And the decals, well yes they are quite superb, roundels in register... wow!. When compared to the original printing they are great but it is a shame the fonts for the serials were not corrected. But there are others on the market like the Modeldecal sets if you can find them or a trawl through Hannants range of decals. There are lots there that will be perfect!

Not an expert so stand to be corrected but I think you're right about the props. I think that it was due to the extra weight when ferrying the V crews around when they were fully loaded with kit. Apparently it did affect performance. I've been scouting around for more source references.