Norway 1940 marine camo?

JWM

Hi,

It seems that Norway marine machines (floatplanes) were all around NMF before the WWII.

However - they (some of them?) apparently were overpainted from top just before the war or already during it like this He 115 in photo in link below, which was likely photographed already after escaping to Scotland

http://www.forgottenairfields.com/united-kingdom/scotland/highlands-and-western-isles/alness-s898.html

It looks like fast "in-field" (or rathe "in fiord") painting from top - very temptating for modelling...:)

Hover MF11 is also presented with something which looks like hastitly added camo, have a look here:

http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/sww2/mf11/mf11-c1.jpg

Anybody knows something more sure about used colours?

What about other machines - for instance Douglas DT?

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Most aircraft of the Norwegian Naval Air Service were fabric covered and consequently not natural metal. The General colour was "pansergrå" (Panzer Grey) - a light grey. There is a confusion about the He 115s though, as there are references to both Aluminium and RLM 02.

There are of course no documentation on the in field camouflage colours. These were most probably variations of green and brown.

Nils

• Like 1

Hi Jerzy,

There are two pictures of the M.F. II F.328 on page 15 of;

Kjaeraas, A., 200?(3?), Profiles in Norway Nr. 2, Hover M.F. II, Konsult, Andebu, Norway, ISBN 82-92542-01-9, pp. 31.

The first photograph shows the starboard side of this particular airframe from the 4 O'clock position and misses the fin and rudder out. The second is more distant, but shows the full starboard side and upper wing top surface. Also included in this image is Heinkel He. 115, F.52.

the text for the photographs states that the camouflage was applied on the evening of 09/04/1940 and that both were taken on the 27/04/1940. It also states that both took off to fly to The Shetlands, (01/05/1940), but that F.328 disappeared en route.

There are a number of plates that show all Norwegian airframes in a pale light grey, apart from F.328 which is camouflaged with a colour similar to RLM 02 and a dark olive green, in addition to the grey mentioned above. It does state in the accompanying text that these colours are a best guess.

HTH!

Christian, exiled to the armpit of the globe.

Edited for syntax.....grrrrr

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 1

Many thanks for answers. The interesting painting scheme on MF 11 I have found in net looks like theis (below) and it is 346. It seems likely, that this machine is photographed in Finland since 346 escaped there :

mf11_fin_1%201_zpsdyngcxhk.jpg

And the He 115 on this photo indeed does not have NMF underside - likely it is RLM 2

he%20115%20%20norway%201423_zpsw6rtxknc.

About Douglas DT - since no machine survived 9.04.1940 as I rather guess from this Norway's page

http://www.forsvaretsmuseer.no/Marinemuseet/Sjoeforsvaret-organisasjon-og-drift/MARINENS-FLYVEVAAPEN-1912-1944/Flyene-i-Marinens-flygevaapen/DOUGLAS-DT.2B-DT.2C-1925-1940

They remained gray overall (and Cyclon engine)?

I am seriously temptated to do both of them... So any more comments are warmly welcome!

Cheers

J-W

Hi Jerzy,

from the same book mentioned above, the entry for F.346 states, (P.10);

"Stationed at Hafrsfjord by Stavanger under the command of 2. Flyavdeling on 18/04/1940. Flew to Finland after Norwegian capitulation on 08/06/1940 and later used by Finns".

On P.31 there are two pictures of NK-173, (ex-F.346), dated to 08/1942 showing a standard Finnish scheme.

I have my suspicions about the photograph above being taken in Finland. My suspicion is that, looking at the buildings and topography, it was taken in Norway.

There does seem to be a RLM 02-like colour that illustrators like to use. I would like to understand what the supporting evidence is...

Christian, exiled to the dark continent.

Indeed = you are right - the houses and especially harbour looks like during low tide and in Finland (and in general - in Baltic) tides changes are almost not noticable .

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I am thinking more and more seriously on doing MF11 in "in fjord" applied war time camo. Likely the "346" from photo in one of my previous post or the "8" from this profile:

https://aviarmor.net/aww2/aircraft/norge/hover_mf11.htm

The colour scheme looks similar to that of He-115, but it is also different in important part.  The original "Panzer grau" seems to be left around number (but "8" looks like only remains of bigger number, like "428" for instance, is it???) and we have light grey-green (British interior green?) with dark fresh blueish green on large spots and small patches as well. There is no third one green olive-green on top. Any expert's comment on this? More info?

Regards

J-W

• 8 months later...

Just to info if somone can be interested. The Hover MF 11 No.  F346 from photo mentioned above was photographed in Scotland , ca 20 km from Aberdeen). This info is in two Norwegian books which I have just bought. It would suggests, that F346 escaped to UK, not Finland. Text is in Norwegian, it will take me a while to read it. Now only photo captions I translated.  Another correction from those books is that comouflaged MF11 "8" is F428, but "8" is overpainted by white colour large spot, with only thinny original grey  left around. Third is that Douglases DT2 were equipped with A.S. Panther engine and 4-blades props (not Cyclone) as I was suspecting.

Cheers

J-W

15 hours ago, Vingtor said:

Hi,

Just curious, which books are you referring to?

Nls

Of course, I should give reference at once. But I was a bit lazy - the computer is downstairs and books were uptstairs in my house :)

So this is

1. "Marines flygevapen 1912-1944" by Bjorn Hafsten &Tom Arheim, TankeStreken 2003. This is description of photo on p. 151, the exact location is Stonehaven, 20 km from Aberdeen, 25 April 1940. Now I came to doubts about so early date - so perhaps this is just a visit, no evecuation?

2. A booklet Norsk Flyging 1912-2012, photo on page 27 described only "Mf 11 in Scotland"

Cheers

J-W