Airfix BR Mogul

Picked this up in York a few weeks ago when I was up seeing the Scotsman, and well I just had to start building it didn't I. I started by hacking off most of the handrail detail and replaced with 10 amp fusewire, which I also used to add the drain cock pipes. I've also started adding little details here and there from sheet, such as the open cab top vents and some wood boards for the floor. Also in the process of thinning down the steps, as they're well oversized.

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

And getting the black laid down. The masking tape was a little on the strong side and pulled up a little of the green here and there, but it's easily covered with a brush. Boy does that lifecolor paint brush nicely!

Once it's cured a bit I'll get a gloss coat down and start the detail painting.

IMG_0655.jpg

• Like 3

Cracking on with the details, it's getting there. Probably need a few touchups after, it's been a while since I wielded a brush in anger.

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

Edited by Oddball
  • Like 5

Amazing how a couple of little additions can make all the difference. The brake hangers have been added with stays and linkages made from plastic rod. I also added the sanding conduits from the usual fuse wire. And just looking at the picture I realise I need to raise the middle pair up a little. Typical!

IMG_0679.jpg

And the decalling is a nightmare. The sheet is pretty nicely printed, decent colour and register, but the decals kept breaking up and just generally being a pain in the hoop. It wasn't till I had a closer look that I realised only about a fifth of the decals have carrier film. And so I re-discovered my microscale liquid decal film, bought nearly 10 years ago and never used until now. I knew being a hoarder would pay off eventually. :lol: With proper carrier film they're much better behaved. It really cleans all the crud off my brushes too, they're cleaner than they have been in years!

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...