Airfix 1/12 Bentley Blower

Very nice work indeed! Check the car you're wanting to model had the chassis plate. I read a long time ago (and my memory is cr@p) and I'm probably wrong, but I'm sure only one car had it...one of Birkin's I think!?

OK, been back through the thread and realised you are doing a Birkin car. Will have to find more info on it.

Edited by vontrips

That chassis is looking really good. Nice to see the added bolt heads along the top of the frame at the front and rear ends...

Ian

Thanks guys.

I'm trying to add as much detail as i possibly can, which is why the updates are pretty slow.

I came across a few photos of cars with the chassis plates. And the pattern of the chassis plates also varied. My build will be based on car no.9 which is what Amalgam's model represents. From some reference photos I obtained online, the floor is with the diamond threadplate, but Amalgam had the entire floor covered with wood. I also have photos which shows that the threadplate moulded on by Airfix is the correct size. Decisions, decisions.

Regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I think the chassis plates are another opened can of worms! I'm no Bentley expert but have assumed the plates were used on the short wheelbase chassis. Why, I'm not sure! Did they cut and shut them? Was it support for the joint?

In my Bentley book there is a cutaway illustration of a short wheelbase Birkin car with the plates. The author suggests it's one of two Birkin short chassis cars; either UU5872 or UR6571!

So, you have it right as the number 9 car (UU5872). :)

Edited by vontrips

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been taking my time with this build. Immensely frustrating and enjoyable at the same time. It's frustrating because of the number of parts Airfix left out, but enjoyable at the same time as it allows a lot of additional details to be added.

A lot of parts in the pics are just put in place without being glued on. It's just for some test fitting.

001%202.jpg

001%203.jpg

001%204.jpg

001%205.jpg

001%201.jpg

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 9

Hi Jeremy - glad to see progress on this; it's a stunning build. Lots of groovy widgets and things. I have one in the stash and have been tempted to build a chassis only version if only to show it at this beautiful stage ..... very well done.

She's looking great!

I wrote to Beaulieu Motor Museum last week in a final effort for more detail. I'll let you know if I get anything....

Ian

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. SInce my war zone of a workspace doesn't allow good WIP photos. I will add some notes to the photos. I'll be glad to answer any questions. I used quite alot of ally tubes in my build. I bought a pack of aluminium tube assortment from Micromark, and they have been absolutely invaluable in this build. Though i usually work in the metric system and the tubes come in imperial units, they work fine with metric drills.

DSC_0454-1.jpg

DSC_0455-1.jpg

DSC_0457-1.jpg

Regards,

Jeremy

Looking good bud,just finished this kit myself.Dont know if your interested but I have a copy of supercar mag that features this car and has a big fold out section showing all the braking rods etc etc? Your welcome to it if you want to cover shipping?

• Like 1

Looking great! The cam-shaft nose cap should be rounded off though, it's not square at the end. The funnel shaped part you show in post 10 should then be attached to the end cap at an angle - it's the gear drive for the tachometer.

Also don't forget the other half of the water pump plumbing, which Airfix don't supply in the kit. They give you the outlet to the crankcase, but not the inlet from the rad. It should join the radiator at the bottom left corner. Unfortunately I don't have any clear pics of it, and have had to use a number of pics which just show glimpses of it from different angles.

You might find some good reference pics here. there are none of Blowers, but a lot of 3 litres which shared a lot of features.

http://www.mckenzieguppy.co.uk/flickr-photos

Ian

Thought the drove the dynamo?

The dynamo drive is the part that goes on the rear of the camshaft, with the 2 discs in it, and passes through the bulkhead straight into the dynamo, which is mounted behind the bulkhead - right where the number 2 is on this pic...

FreshPaint-8-2015.03.10-09.08.58.jpg

You can see 2 of the 3 dynamo mounting bolts at the 12 and 8 o'clock positions relative to the drive shaft.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Some updates. The chassis has been given a semi gloss coat, to prepare it for some slight weathering. I'll only be doing some basic washes.

I would also like to highlight the fantastic suspensions designed by Ian (Limeypilot). They fit perfectly with only minor surgery needed on the kit parts.

20160904_193957.jpg

20160904_194017.jpg

20160904_194024.jpg

20160904_194039.jpg

20160904_194049.jpg

For the inside, most of the parts are scratch built to replace the moulded kit parts. I'll be doing some washes and fading to break up the monotonous look. The moulded on hex threadplates were removed, and wood veneers were glued on and stained. The 'hammer' looking thingy was scratch build to replace the one that came with the kit.

20160904_194117.jpg

20160904_194147.jpg

Any feedback is much appreciated. Sorry about the poor quality of the pics.

Regards,

Jeremy

Edited by Jnkm13
  • Like 1

Lespaul,

Thanks for the kind offer, but i'll pass on your generous gesture. I've spent too much time on this kit, so i'm pushing myself to finish this kit without adding more details.

Perhaps Ian (Limeypilot) might be interested.

Regards,

Jeremy

Lespaul,

Thanks for the kind offer, but i'll pass on your generous gesture. I've spent too much time on this kit, so i'm pushing myself to finish this kit without adding more details.

Perhaps Ian (Limeypilot) might be interested.

Regards,

Jeremy

Nice thought, thanks. I already have the referances I need for the braking system though, so it won't be necessary.

Ian