Airfix 1/12 Bentley Blower

Thanks Sam!

I'll take note on your hinge method. Here's how the bottom looks like.

20161121_181854.jpg

Here are some updates.

These braces or whatever they are called are made from ally strips, brass tube and rods. The chassis cross member in white is scratch built and is crucial as it's where the braces anchor to. 

20161121_181809.jpg

Attachment points for the tail lights are also made from ally sheet.

20161121_181753.jpg

2 small holes were cut into the body to allow the braces to go through. These were present in the cars that had this type of braces.

20161121_182217.jpg

By the way, most things are just put in place for the photographs and will be glued in place later.

Regards,

Jeremy

Edited by Jnkm13
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

The miniature piano hinge can be purchased in the UK here:   http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Item/Piano-hinge-304mm-long-Pk2/ITM4646

I have just bought some for a Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza I am building and the service from them was pretty fast.

Chris

I'll second that; a great company to buy from. They have some unusual and useful stuff in there like thin mirror plastic, vacforming plastic sheet etc.

Hi guys,

Here's a little update.

The instrument panel is painted flat aluminium, but it somehow looks shiny in the picture. Rivets added to the dial faces and micro size ball bearings used for knobs and switches.

20161214_215118.jpg

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sharknose156 said:

Very nice dashboard and rivets addition. makes a huge difference in realism. 

Will you reprint the dials faces ? 

Hi Sam,

Any reason to reprint the dials faces? Any problem with the ones supplied by Airfix?

I have not gotten round to polishing the supplied clear parts. They have quite bad sink holes and will require quite a lot of polishing work.Once this is done, the dial faces go on backwards.

Regards,

Jeremy

have not checked. Will check my box and get back.

Another way if you don't wish to re-design them as i did for the Mef. , is also to take a photo of the real dials, and re-size it, that's another technique.

Cheers to you

Sam

The dials have been added. They are added to the back of the transparent plastic. I'll leave them for a few days to properly dry, then will paint the back black. There were 2 separate pieces of transparent plastic that made up the dial 'glasses'. They required quite a lot of polishing due to the sink marks.

20161219_214634.jpg

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hi Ian,

I've be plugging along slowly. Quite a number of small details added, but these details will most likely go unnoticed.

20170208_145003.jpg

20170208_145009.jpg

20170208_145230.jpg

20170208_145306.jpg

20170208_145251.jpg

20170208_145238.jpg

I'll do some weathering on the fabric body to tone down the colour and the give it a flat coat.

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4

In answer to the question about the brass pipe, my guess is its the fuel line, the normally apirated 4.5 and 3 litre cars had an "autovac" mounted high on the front of the bulkhead, allowing the fuel to flow to the carbs from the reservoir by gravity, the blower seems to have it positioned lower behind the bulkhead, not a problem as the carbs are much lower at the front of the car. I reckon that the pipe crosses over to the left in between the front of the engine and the radiator and then drops, through the front crossmember to the carbs on the blower.

• Like 1

I've been trying to find the answer to that myself. I think it's an oil line as they are on both sides of the block. There was a hand pump on the dash to pump extra oil into the engine from the small reservoir tank behind the bulkhead and I think these 2 lines ran to the front main bearing area on the crankcase. There is definitely a junction in the lines right next to the distributors and the line then dips down over the front of the crankcase...where it goes is one of my unanswered  questions I'm afraid. The fuel lines run along the inside of the left chassis rail to about the radiator, when they swing inwards and run behind the carbs. But how and where they are routed from the auxiliary tank is another question I've been unable to answer. I think they go straight down from the tank and either through the lower front of the firewall or through the floor...

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

I think you are probably right, it doesnt look like it is a fuel line, I have found a picture of the bulkhead and the pipe appears to exit quite low down, whereas the fuel pump is mounted high behind where the autovac normally sits !

First image shows a 3 litre with Autovac (tin like thing on bulkhead), second one is the blower picture I found, still dont know what that damn pipe does though.

CIMG0656_zpsilrqfyfy.jpgBentley-Blower-07_zpsgrsxemmy.jpg

• Like 1