Alclad polished aluminum ?

DDELK

Gloss black is necessary only if you are spraying Chrome. All other Alclad shades look good over primer. Or you might try other gloss colors as a base to vary the effect.

I maybe wrong here . I think Alclad covers better and faster over black base .. Thats the only advantage, but not necessary. As Space Ranger says , its necessary for chrome look

That maybe my not seeing so go eye these days

Rick

I don't need the chrome look. I'm painting a F-86D Sabre. It's going to have the NMF. I like the look of the polished aluminum

This is what I would do

I would spray the plane with a black base .. I use Tamiya black with 10 percent Tamiya clear and X20A thinner . Let Dry and polish the black smooth . Then spray Alclad .

Rick

003_5.jpg005_9.jpg

• Like 5

Dave. all the "hi shine" colours, of which polished aluminum is one, need to be sprayed over a gloss black base. This can be either Alclad's own or another gloss black base

Hope this helps

Bruce

Definitely gloss black base.

Doesn't have to be Alclad's own brand, could just be any black paint with an acrylic or lacquer gloss coat. Needs to be very smooth though.

Edited by Alan P

I was disappointed with Alclads black gloss primer, didn't dry properly and stayed pretty tacky. I've went back to using Tamiya's gloss black.

I was disappointed with Alclads black gloss primer, didn't dry properly and stayed pretty tacky. I've went back to using Tamiya's gloss black.

I had similar experience but I gave it another try and guess what - I started to loving it!

• Like 1

HIGH SHINE ALCLAD FINISHES

ALC-105 POLISHED ALUMINIUM

ALC-107 CHROME FOR PLASTIC

ALC-109 POLISHED BRASS

ALC-114 CHROME FOR LEXAN

ALC-115 STAINLESS STEEL

ALC-118 GOLD TITANIUM

ALC-119 AIRFRAME ALUMINIUM

ALC-122 MIRRORED GOLD FOR LEXAN

Apply one of these primers before using High Shine ALCLAD:

ALCLAD GLOSS BLACK BASE ALC-304/305

ALCLAD CLEAR BASE ALC-303

(Other hobby enamel paints are suitable-it is advisable to conduct a test on scrap plastic)

PREPARATION AND SPRAYING

The surfaces to be painted must be thoroughly clean and free from dust,grease,oil and finger marks.

Apply the correct primer for the type of Alclad being used.

ALCLAD should be sprayed at 12-15psi. Spray from a distance of 2-3 inches from the surface being painted using a narrow to medium width spray fan. Use the airbrush like a paint brush-aim to cover the model in a methodical manner.

Buffing is not necessary-tonal variation can be made by polishing selected panels with Micromesh.

REGULAR ALCLAD can be masked over and painted. Decal solutions ... are not recommended for HIGH SHINE ALCLAD

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps. I'm going to be using gloss black base soon, and came across this thread in a search.

If I'm reading it right, is it best to put a clear lacquer over the black base?

I'm going to be using alclad polished aluminium, if that helps.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1

Hi chaps. I'm going to be using gloss black base soon, and came across this thread in a search.

If I'm reading it right, is it best to put a clear lacquer over the black base?

I'm going to be using alclad polished aluminium, if that helps.

Matt

HIGH SHINE ALCLAD FINISHES

ALC-105 POLISHED ALUMINIUM

Apply one of these primers before using High Shine ALCLAD:

ALCLAD GLOSS BLACK BASE ALC-304/305

ALCLAD CLEAR BASE ALC-303

(Other hobby enamel paints are suitable-it is advisable to conduct a test on scrap plastic)

PREPARATION AND SPRAYING

The surfaces to be painted must be thoroughly clean and free from dust,grease,oil and finger marks.

Apply the correct primer for the type of Alclad being used.

This was the results I ended up with, as I was the one to start this thread. I was pretty pleased with the results, as it was only my second attempt at using alclad. I've still got a long way to go before s get it mastered down but in the meantime I can't complain to much..C9669F86-8C81-4781-8547-68B836E6E9F4_zps

• Like 1

This was the results I ended up with, as I was the one to start this thread. I was pretty pleased with the results, as it was only my second attempt at using alclad. I've still got a long way to go before s get it mastered down but in the meantime I can't complain to much.

This was the results I ended up with, as I was the one to start this thread. I was pretty pleased with the results, as it was only my second attempt at using alclad. I've still got a long way to go before s get it mastered down but in the meantime I can't complain to much..C9669F86-8C81-4781-8547-68B836E6E9F4_zps

looks great

Rick

Looks great

Is it okay to use Alclad Black primer and then Alclad Clear for Polished Aluminium,

or should I use Humbrol Gloss Black over the primer?

I ask because I have painted Alclad Black Primer and then realised it's a matt base.

This is what I would do

I would spray the plane with a black base .. I use Tamiya black with 10 percent Tamiya clear and X20A thinner . Let Dry and polish the black smooth . Then spray Alclad .

Rick

003_5.jpg005_9.jpg

Nice Mustang but it's name appears to be missing some letters!

Regards the topic - I've had no bother with Alcald Gloss Black Base and use it prior to using Alclad Aluminium, that works fine for me but I find the shiny Alclads don't work too well for me.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1