New Tamiya 1/48 Grumman F-14 (A, Late A, D) Tomcat

Robert

I confess to being slightly puzzled here. The AMK F-14 will feature wings with everything hanging. Why then would anybody who wants this feature go to the expense of a Tamiya kit together with the added expense of aftermarket frippery when all they need to do is buy the AMK kit in the first place?. Is this merely a case of Tamiya snobbery or something else? Funny people modellers!.Have I missed something?:hmmm:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

26 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

I confess to being slightly puzzled here. The AMK F-14 will feature wings with everything hanging. Why then would anybody who wants this feature go to the expense of a Tamiya kit together with the added expense of aftermarket frippery when all they need to do is buy the AMK kit in the first place?. Is this merely a case of Tamiya snobbery or something else? Funny people modellers!.Have I missed something?:hmmm:

Allan

AMK have not yet released their F-14, and, the first iteration out of the door will be the F-14D. So plenty of time for AM companies to fill the gap. Additionally, the AMK kit may be more complex than the Tamiya one, so builders may not want the slog. All supposition as the AMK kit is still in CAD stage.  :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Parabat said:

AMK have not yet released their F-14, and, the first iteration out of the door will be the F-14D. So plenty of time for AM companies to fill the gap. Additionally, the AMK kit may be more complex than the Tamiya one, so builders may not want the slog. All supposition as the AMK kit is still in CAD stage.  :thumbsup2:

Fair comment!:thumbsup:

Allan 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parabat said:

... the AMK kit is still in CAD stage.... 

Which is a reason in itself for modellers to buy the Tamiya kit as that is already available and many modellers have a tendency to want to have a kit NOW rather than wait for an arguably better alternative....

Robert

21 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Allan

A 1/48 F-14 is a big mama when built up, even with the wings in their common 'oversweep' guise.

To add to the above replies, it's nothing to do with us lot being funny or even supposed Tamiya snobbery, it's just a simple case of the aftermarket folks catering for aftermarket tastes. If you want down 'n dirty wings, KASL will give you that option if you don't feel like doing the conversion yourself. It's just the hobby. We all know at some point the aftermarket folks will pile out detail sets, etc. for the AMK kit(s), regardless of OOB quality and they will sell well.

Now... where's that 1/48 F-16D Mr T?

• Like 2

On 07/01/2017 at 6:45 AM, Parabat said:

All supposition as the AMK kit is still in CAD stage.  :thumbsup2:

But is it?! Posts in the last day or so suggest it will be out sooner than you may think.

• Like 1

65 EUR for a set of wings...plus shipping from Japan and possibly VAT on import! Not really...:-)  Lets see what AMK will bring...if that kit ever materialises! So far apart from some CAD nothing has been seen. Maybe just another hot air bubble?

cheers

Uwe

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:55 AM, RobertF said:

Which is a reason in itself for modellers to buy the Tamiya kit as that is already available and many modellers have a tendency to want to have a kit NOW rather than wait for an arguably better alternative....

Robert

Better than the Tamiya F-14? I have an AMK MiG-31 but haven't built it so I can't speak to the quality and/or ease of build other than what I've seen online and in magazines. I have however built the Tamiya F-14 and I can honestly say that it's the best jet kit I've ever built . All the superlatives that have been written about it are true, for the AMK kit to be "an arguably better alternative" it will have to be superb in execution.   

Stephen, I think you missed the main point I was trying to make: availablity of a kit is an important factor of its own, regardless of the promises of quality of any future kit.

And perhaps I used "arguably" in a wrong way (sorry, not a native speaker), but I was trying to say that AMK's F-14 will not necessarily be a better kit than Tamiya's. We'll have to wait and see.

Robert

On 07/01/2017 at 7:55 AM, RobertF said:

Robert

...which is all the more puzzling as the majority of modellers will then go and put the box on the shelf/in the stash! There certainly is a case for lack of availability of products from smaller/newer manufacturers where you can "miss the boat" when you wait to long and better buy it when you see it (and want it), but certainly not with Tamiya...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think Eduard/Brassin are having a go at this too, be interesting to see whose is best (and more importantly whose fits best?).....the cockpit of the Tamiya kit always seemed to me to be its weak point, looked a bit basic.

Edited by hopkp

Hasn't resin come such along way recently? (Last 5 years or so) 

AM resin cockpits to me always seemed like just the kit parts reworked by someone into masters, bit rough around the edges and looked 'handmade'

Now all the bits (especially eduards Brassin for example) are millimetre perfect and look like the masters have been CNC machined or 3D printed. (Going off of those drawings?)

This is a good thing obviously, just noting the advances in technology etc. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
5 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Rumours say a F-14D boxing should be announced in May at the 57th Shizuoka Hobby Show 2018.

Tamiya Magazine talking about an incoming Tamiya... a little more than a rumour I believe 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1