Fokker D.I & D.II double build, Merlin, 1:72....Finished!

I know, I have more than enough to be getting on with, but the E.III is waiting for bits to dry, the RE8 is awaiting the postie....and I have too much spare time.
I also just bought the Windsock Special on the Fokker D.I to D.IV with the aim of starting this so here we go...can we say "sucker for punishment"?
Here's what I have to start with:

35698465435_eabc20f1cc_c.jpg

The wing detail is actually very nice, but they are way too thick so it would have to be sanded off anyway...add to that they are the wrong length and I think the best option is scratchbuild new ones....

34889168703_7e9b7f45a3_c.jpg

The fuselages are vaguely fuselage-shaped lumps of plastic, almost solid on the inside, different lengths, and way too narrow....

34857686804_84ec729860_c.jpg

34857700644_d3312f845e_c.jpg

34889175683_c3185a7701_c.jpg

Then there's a bag of metal bits and a sprue with some more lumps of plastic on it. I'm not sure what most of it is...possibly wheels, tail surfaces etc. There is a cowling, which could be usable....

35529717212_46567ab02d_c.jpg

So, what it all boils down to, is basically a scratchbuild, combined with some plastic sculpting!! What a terrible waste of good plastic, there really ought to be a law against this sort of thing... I'll be using a spare Roden engine, modified, for the D.I.

Add to that the fact that the drawings in the Windsock Special aren't consistent...the fuselages measure differently on the profiles and plan views, and the wingspans are different on the head-on views and plan views. Some of the drawings have the correct wingspan and wrong fuselage length, or vice-versa, and some have the wrong wingspan on all views (I'm taking my measurements from those supplied in the back of this same publication, so one of them has to be wrong)........I really thought Windsock put a little more care into their drawings but this is not the first time I've had this issue.

I copied the various views at different magnifications and made a complete set of correctly sized drawings....now I could begin!

I have made a start on the D.I fuselage. First job was to find a reference point. The underside of the fuselage matched the plans pretty well so that was my starting point. I took one half and got the underside matching nicely, then removed the plastic lump that represents the engine and corrected the nose profile. When that was done I moved back to the cockpit and upper decking until the profile matched all around.

34889175113_b253d23c5a_c.jpg

35311525960_75fced9d75_c.jpg

Next step was to tape the 2 halves together and match them, and when that was done I took the Dremel to them and started to hollow out the insides. I didn't go too far as I know there is some reshaping still to do and I want to leave enough so that I don't sand through.....

Finally for today, I added 1mm plastic strip to the joining edges of both halves to widen the fuselage to the correct width. Correct, that is, for the front...the rear is actually ok, but it's easier to widen all of it, then sand the back end - there's plenty of plastic!

34857756434_680512d90b_c.jpg

That is where it stands as of this evening. This will be put aside to finish my other 2 when I get the bits I need, but it should keep me out of trouble in the meantime.

Thanks for looking,

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 13

Ah Merlin. The look just as bad as I remember them from way back when.

You are a brave man! But at the end your modelling skills will have been expanded and probably your use of the vernacular Anglo-Saxon!

Have at it and have fun :thumbsup:

:popcorn: and :drink: ready...

Christian, exiled to the armpit of the universe

• Like 1

My God! That moulding looks like as accurate as one of this dodgy police photofits: 'Can you identify this aircraft?'

A tip of the chapeau to you for sir attempting to rectify these embalmed relics from the Pharaoh's tomb. I shall watch you take your punishment with compassion.

Tony

Good lord... I've seen some horrible things in my time, but that makes a wine-coloured Novoexport D520 look like a state of the art Tamigawa. I have a Merlin kit in the stash - just one mind you, a Spitfire XII. Every time I go near it though my palms itch, I hear voices and an invisible hand steering me away. I'm not sure why this happens.

Good luck to you and I hope you have a suitably large stash of single-malt scotch at hand. Personally I'd recommend a Lagavulin for this one - the peat notes will take your mind off drinking the liquid poly as an act of penance

Chris

• Like 1

LOL, thanks everyone for the encouragement. Chris, that's a fine plan, I'll make sure I have the necessary supplies to hand!

Yes, these are awful, but they're pretty much all there is in this scale for these aircraft. It may well be easier to scratchbuild the whole thing, but I paid for the kit and I'm not going to throw it away...yes, my mother was a Scot! (I love Aberdeen!)

I've got the D.I fuselage to a point I'm happy with for now, it still needs a little tweaking and I'll remove the rear turtle deck fairing and replace it with a piece of plastic sheet sanded to shape (as I will on the D.II also). That will also take care of the rear cockpit edge.

34889168023_72a447f794_c.jpg

As I'd got that sorted, I started on the D.II fuselage today. I thought I'd started with the worst of the 2, but then I laid the parts on the plan:

35659314606_d6181cc57f_c.jpg

WHAT???? It's not even close! It looks as though these weren't injection moulded, they were poured!
I spent a while trying to work out the best way to correct it, and decided to start with the rear end, sanding both the upper and lower edges to fit to the plans.... I removed the turtledeck to aid with getting the angles right.... first one done...

35698469915_275d42122d_c.jpg

I then taped the 2 halves together at the front and rear and sanded the middle of the back end to match, then taped at the front and middle, and sanded the rear. I now had 2 reasonably correct rear ends, so I cut the front off.
The first one was sanded to match the plan - did I mention there is plenty of plastic?

34857667594_f4f715c022_c.jpg

The other side was sanded to match and the 2 were then glued back onto the corrected rear ends.....
35529751292_e8aefaf876_c.jpg

Much better!

Once that is properly dry I'll fill the joins with sprue melted in plastic weld to make it as strong as possible and allow further thinning, then add the same spacers on the joining edges as I did on the D.I.

Thanks for watching!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 11

So there is a model lurking inside the model just waiting to be released!

A whole new dimension to modelling :winkgrin:

Looking really good, crack on!

Christian, exiled to the dark place

• Like 1

Not my bag but i am interested on how to make a purse out of a sow's ear. `i would question trading standards to confirm if you could actually describe that as a kit ;-)

Good luck.

I admire the effort you are putting into these models and am sure you will end up with some fine results but working on two Merlin kits at once? I know you said you are a sucker for punishment but this is pure masochism! :banghead:

Martin

• Like 2

I admire the effort you are putting into these models and am sure you will end up with some fine results but working on two Merlin kits at once? I know you said you are a sucker for punishment but this is pure masochism! :banghead:

Martin

Or sadomasochism. After all we are joining in... :fool::whistle:

Christian, exiled to the dark place

Thank you all kindly for your encouraging (or otherwise!) words! Yes, this is barely even worthy of the title "kit".....
I have been busy on these two excuses for fuselages most of today, doing nothing but sanding the outsides to fine tune the shape, and dremmeling the insides so I can actually put some sort of detail in them - basically "removing everything that wasn't Fokker" - there was a LOT of that!
After all that work, I now finally have a couple of usable fuselages!

34889174313_22bff7fdd3_c.jpg

and a quick check that the engine will fit...

34889167323_6e09ebeff4_c.jpg

So after 3 days I'm finally at the point that I would be at upon opening the box of a decent kit! (except I haven't any usable wings yet......)
Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 9

Don't tell anyone but if you put a pair of pants on your head and stick a fuselage up each nostril, every one will think you have gone round the bend and let you off building these monstrosities.

Martin

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I love it when artists draw a plan/blue print as a pretty picture rather than an accurate guide. but your efforts are paying off. Those lumps of plastic are indeed taking shape. Bravo sir. :D

At least the kits didn't come with, ahem. "Free" paint too. ;)

Good luck with the rest.

John.

Good luck with this one Limeypilot. Personally I would have, as others suggested, relegated this to the insulation pile in the attic. I wouldn't have the skills to attempt the work you are undertaking. Good to see a craftsman at work..

Thanks all, I will NOT let these beat me! :banghead:

On 5/13/2016 at 10:16 PM, martin hale said:

Don't tell anyone but if you put a pair of pants on your head and stick a fuselage up each nostril, every one will think you have gone round the bend and let you off building these monstrosities.

Martin

Martin, everyone thinks that now anyway, I don't need to stuff them up my nose! (and how do you know I don't have a pair of pants on my head.... :wacko: )

Anyway, I have been busy outside for most of today, but did get the small cowling fairings removed from the front of the D.II (they were the wrong shape....surprise!) and painted the interiors ready for some framework...
34889173643_b96663c7f2_c.jpg

They aren't perfectly smooth but very little will be seen so they should be ok.
I also took care of any exterior filling and sanding needed on both aircraft, so apart from some minor work when I join the halves, all the major exterior alterations are done.

Ian
Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 3

Before starting up a new mold in the injection press, the operators generally run what they call a "purge patty" - it helps check that everything is working as it says on the tin.

Anyone see a Fokker in this ?

VlAXDh7.jpg

You may have been quicker starting with one of these !

• Like 2

Wow, It reminds the hardened lava of the volcano.

Yup, very similar to the pahoehoe texture that can be found on Basaltic flows.

This build is looking good!

Christian

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to recall building a Merlin "kit" at some point but I'll be dashed if I could tell you which one.

I think someone asked me to build it for them...

Mercifully, both they and the model have been blotted from my memory.

I'd wish you luck but you've brought this upon yourself.

Still, in all it IS starting to look like an aeroplane so I suppose there is some hope after all.

Hals und beinbruch!

Q