GWR 37XX 'City of Truro' - Dapol OO

I built this for the Made in Britain GB which ended recently. I wanted to do something different from the aircraft that I normally build and, whilst I am sure that the railway aficionados will be able to point out all my mistakes, I am pleased with end result and had a lot of fun in the process. I thought I would share my efforts here, I hope that you like it

I used the Dapol kit and modified it to the best of my abilities by removing the moulded handrails and replacing them with Alan Gibson parts, I also added Smiths connectors, Mainly Trains lamp brackets , vac pipe, and door darts, along with Modelmaster nameplates and numbers The paint came from Phoenix Precision and the lining and stylised GWR are from the Presfix/Methfix range sourced through the HMRS.

The tender had the moulded coal removed and, after adding sides and a floor using sheet plastic, was refilled with some scale coal at the end of the build. I also replaced the handrails, brake columns (Mainly Trains) connectors and vac pipe on this too.

Here is alink to the build for those who may be interested. GWR City of Truro

Thanks for looking and apologies to those who have seen this in the Made in Britain GB.

DSC00691_zps7hpee9ds.jpg

DSC00688_zpshrmwlccy.jpg

DSC00689_zpszyaclt8b.jpg

DSC00690_zpsbehtceqn.jpg

DSC00684_zpsinhgnnir.jpg

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Wow this is lovely, fantastic paint work/finish. Congratulations on a superb model. I have been doing one of these for a while now with the branchlines chassis/motorising kit and am very pleased with it. It is actually quite a nice kit to build.

All the best
Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for all of your kind comments gents.

Steve,

The credit for enabling me to source most of the extras should go to Karl (Bordfunker). He pointed me in the right direction to start with, and from that initial lead I was able to find other parts that I felt would improve the model. It has been quite a while since I made any railway models and I am pleased with the way this one turned out. Next up for the same treatment is another Swindon engine - Kitmasters, Evening Star, but that won't be for a little while.

Glad that the source list has proved useful, and thanks for your interest.

Very Impressive! You'd never know it was from the Dapol kit! Looks more like its scratch built from brass . . .

I recently built the Prairie tank kit, nowhere as good as yours! Maybe one day XD

https://www.facebook.com/modelminutes/photos/pcb.1548423198796893/1548422955463584/?type=3&theater

Thanks for your comment MM. This was the first bit of railway modelling that I have done in 35+ years and that was when I packed an N gauge layout away, so it made a pleasant change.

The Prairie tank looks great, and I like the addition of the crew.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks absolutely lovely. I think I'll read through the build log now.

Cheers Rob, I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Hope that you enjoy reading through the build thread.