New Tool Eduard 1/48 BF-109 G6 Late

Proceeding nicely!

Just a reminder to fill/remove that shallow v shaped join on the underside that Eduard put in where the wing assembly joins the fuselage. It doesn't appear on the real thing.

Regards,

The wing to fuselage join on the underside? You'd think that they would put it on a natural panel line.

This is really starting to become a task. Why would they make these parts not fall on panel lines, then not specify in the instructions what to fill? Thanks for the information gentleman. I'll get to work on it tomorrow.

• Like 2

The wing to fuselage join on the underside? You'd think that they would put it on a natural panel line.

You would think so wouldn't you? Such are the mysteries of model production! It makes us practice our skills!

Regards,

Texan,

Those are the gun troughs, they were a single piece of pressed metal and fitted into the larger cowlings. This is another of those concessions manufacturers have to make for the limitations of injection moulding and the desire to make moulds "multi purpose" for different versions.

Regards,

Thanks for all the help everyone. I filled the seam on the fuselage/ wing join. I checked my references again and they all show that the line should remain around the gun trough.

I think I've got it ready to prime now. Hopefully I didn't overlook anything else. Thanks again for everyone's assistance.

Yes Paulo. The G-2 and G-4 had a smooth area around the guns. The G-6 and later has the line.

Got the model primed and the yellow areas painted. Going to let it dry overnight before masking and starting the next color, RLM 76.

image_zpsmnoylayj.jpeg

• Like 2

Here's a new-to-me technique I got from the Ammo Mig Encyclopedia of Aircraft. I masked the ribs of the rudder and shaded with heavily thinned Tamiya Smoke. Normally, this is done in the weathering stage, but I figured it would be hard to mask and get to with the elevators attached. I think it looks pretty good for a first attempt. It adds a nice contrast.

image_zpsehcc2uox.jpeg

Edited by Texan76
  • Like 3

Here everything is masked for the RLM 75.

image_zps54eyvrwv.jpeg

I love Panzer Putty. It makes camo work so much easier. Here is a before and after shot using the putty.

image_zpsy8gaye4n.jpeg

image_zpsqet6pumy.jpeg

Progress so far:

image_zpsqlgj2skr.jpeg

image_zpshk43gh19.jpeg

Next up is the mottling, which is scaring me. Have never done it before. I have read up on it, so hopefully I can pull it off.

• Like 4

Before the mottling, I decided to paint on the crosses instead of using the decals. This my first ever attempt at this, and I think they came out ok. Hopefully will try and do the mottling tomorrow.

image_zpsqjh0t10d.jpeg

image_zpsd9uvmwiq.jpeg

image_zpsqfey1gxw.jpeg

• Like 7

Started the weathering process today. I tried a little oil dot weathering on the wings and upper surfaces. It's very hard to see the result in the photos, as it a very subtle effect and the camera didn't pick it up well.

image_zpsoufzx3fu.jpeg

image_zps06jmuzle.jpeg

image_zpsk8bdnhom.jpeg

• Like 8

Hi Texan this is looking really good. One question though, what or how does the dot weathering work with the oils? Never seen it before (I'm a relative newbie back to the modelling world)

Hi Texan this is looking really good. One question though, what or how does the dot weathering work with the oils? Never seen it before (I'm a relative newbie back to the modelling world)

This was my first time doing it. It came out OK, but it is one of those things that I think takes a little practice to nail down. I have seen articles that the author used this technique and achieved a very realistic dirty look. I chose to tone it down to a more subtle degree, because I wasn't trying to achieve a heavily degraded and neglected look, but rather a slightly dirty sheen.

• Like 1