Is there a way to make a 1/144 Comet 2?

Is there a simple way to make a Comet 2 in 1/144?

I have a resin Comet 1 and a couple of Airfix Comet 4s and thought some combination would work but it looks to me as though the wing root/engine area is not the same as either the Comet 1 or the Comet 4. Is that so?

Thanks for any advice or information.

David

Pretty much. On the Comet 2 the jet pipes were splayed out a few degrees to reduce acoustic fatigue in the rear fuselage. On later Comets, the rear wing and jet pipe were extended. I have toyed with the idea of taking the inner rear wing on the Airfix kit, and reducing/ adapting it to fit either the resin wings or the F-RSIN kit. The 2 was also slightly longer than the 1.

You can build the 1 in Military markings, two were used by the RAE, including the surviving airframe as XM823

http://www.airteamimages.com/de-havilland-comet_XM823_united-kingdom---royal-air-force_73566.html

Thanks, Dave. Yes, an RAF Comet 1 is my fallback position but I was kind of hoping to make one of the ELINT Comet 2Rs used by 51 Squadron one day.

David

Pretty much. On the Comet 2 the jet pipes were splayed out a few degrees to reduce acoustic fatigue in the rear fuselage.

I'm assuming a Comet 3 (Malaysia-Singapore Airlines 1968 ) but ( as a kid I hasten to add ) I went back to the loo and, to this day, I have never heard as much noise as I did then. I actually thought we were about to crash. One could not hear oneself think in the rear of those planes - but I am still so jolly grateful I got to fly in a Comet.

I forgot that I flew in a couple. One was BOAC Comet 4C back in 1963 - London-Rome-Khartoum-Nairobi-Salisbury. Later I flew in a DanAir one to Spain.

David

I'm assuming a Comet 3 (Malaysia-Singapore Airlines 1968 ) but ( as a kid I hasten to add ) I went back to the loo and, to this day, I have never heard as much noise as I did then. I actually thought we were about to crash. One could not hear oneself think in the rear of those planes - but I am still so jolly grateful I got to fly in a Comet.

And to think Olivia de Havilland was amazed at the silence of the Comet 1 - it just goes to show how noisy piston engine airliners must have been inside!

The one and only Comet 3, G-ANLO/XP915, never saw airline service although, IIRC, she was originally painted in BOAC colours. She spent a lot of her working life at Thurleigh and paved the way for the Comet 4, sadly no one.thought it worth preserving this historically-significant aeroplane.........

• Like 1

The one and only Comet 3, G-ANLO/XP915, never saw airline service although, IIRC, she was originally painted in BOAC colours. She spent a lot of her working life at Thurleigh and paved the way for the Comet 4, sadly no one.thought it worth preserving this historically-significant aeroplane.........

Nose section last in the fire section at St Mawgan, having previously been used for static trial fittings of the Nimrod AEW.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always wanted to build a RAF Comet 2, as I flew in XK699 from Lyneham as an ATC cadet. This Comet later got preserved on Lyneham's gate and now just the nose survives at the Old Sarum museum. Alas, it has been frustrating that no one has ever made a Comet 2 kit, not even a conversion kit to be used with exisiting kits.

Even the Comet 3 had a conversion kit from the 4B (For it's later incarnation with 4B wings and the long pointed nose).

There were the interesting 2Es in R&D colours as well as the RAF ones.

The curved jet pipes with early wing are going to be the challenge, but I have an idea.....

Even the Comet 3 had a conversion kit from the 4B (For it's later incarnation with 4B wings and the long pointed nose).

There were the interesting 2Es in R&D colours as well as the RAF ones.

The curved jet pipes with early wing are going to be the challenge, but I have an idea.....

Aw, come on, Dave. Don't keep me in suspense on this! :winkgrin:

David

Not at home so can't test it, but somewhere I have a failed Welsh Models NImrod vac which might be easier to hack than the Airfix kit. If it works, it MIGHT be possible to cast that in resin. No promises though

Edited by Dave Fleming

Not at home so can't test it, but somewhere I have a failed Welsh Models NImrod vac which might be easier to hack than the Airfix kit. If it works, it MIGHT be possible to cast that in resin. No promises though

Intriguing. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

David