1/48 EE Lightning F.1

Hi all

Here's my latest finished 48th Lightning (I'm up to 4 now).

I finished it a few days ago but thought id take advantage of the glorious weather were having in the UK to take a few quick pics.

Its built OOB with the exceptions of a resin Mk.4 seat from Quickboost and decals from Model Alliance.

I've built it as XM144 'Golden Arrow' of 60MU at RAF Leconfield in 1967 as another addition to my collection of military aircraft based in Yorkshire.

image_34.jpeg

image_33.jpeg

image_32.jpeg

ScottC

• Like 30

Looks terrific.

Can you recommend the Airfix kit? I want to build a 1/48 Lightning at some stage.

I certainly can, i still say it's one of the best kits Airfix have ever produced.

ScottC

• Like 2

I have painted a couple of these with humbrol metalcote from a spray can, what did you use it looks awesome.

I try something different with the bare metal finish every time, this one was Tamiya chrome silver (X11) then Vallejo gloss varnish, decaled and a panel wash, then a 50/50 mix of Vallejo satin and matt varnish to finish it off.

I sprayed the whole model with Tamiya primer first and sprayed the X11 quiet thin which gave the metal finish a slightly aged look where the primer shows through.

ScottC

Looks terrific.

Can you recommend the Airfix kit? I want to build a 1/48 Lightning at some stage.

It's a very good kit. You might find some warping of main components, but nothing serious in my experience: others may have different experiences. Attachment points for main undercarriage retraction jacks and linkages are a bit woolly, as are the instructions for their installation, but there are some useful photos & articles on t'interweb. There's also plenty of aftermarket stuff if you want to go that way. Go and buy one and enjoy building it.

• Like 1

Very pretty. Enjoyed my F.3 so much I have been eying that same decal sheet myself. Some interesting early Lightnings for sure.

Great build too, looks ready to join the 10-Ton club!

Hello,ScottC - It's great to see the early Lightning on the Forum and 'Golden Arrow' really looks the part.I love this build very much.;) All the best,Paul.