The sentries report Zulus to the southwest. Thousands of them.

1/9th scale bust by Mitches Military Models.

A beautiful sculpture of the actor Nigel Green as Colour Sergeant Frank Bourne from the film "ZULU".

If you have never seen "ZULU" then you may need to redeem yourself! :)

The real Frank Bourne was 24 years old at the time of the Battle of Rorke's Drift on the 22nd to 23rd of January 1879.

At the time he was the youngest Colour Sergeant in the British Army and as a result he was know as "boy". (Green was 40 when he played the part).

He didn't receive one of the eleven Vitoria Crosses awarded for the battle, but he fought with great valour, rallying his exhausted men and urging them on in the face of overwhelming odds.

The bust is painted with Humbrol enamels and Tamiya acrylics and was a joy to paint.

100_6130.jpg

click image upload

100_6131.jpg

free photo hosting

100_6133.jpg

image hosting sites

100_6134.jpg

image hosting

"Because were here son."

100_6135.jpg

screen shot windows

• Like 10

I recall my Dad saying if you want to know what a good British Army SM was like just watch Nigel Green's portrayal as he had it down to a T

Nice job too btw

Very nice bust. Just one thing, the 24th Regt. of Foot had Mid Green facings on the collar and epaulette, not dark blue.

Great character and a great film......"Be quiet Mr Witt, there's a good gentleman.......you'll upset the lads!"

Gary.

Edited by redcap
  • Like 1

Excellent job on an excellent character from an excellent movie! I like the way the character in the movie didn't rant and rave at his men, but talked with a quiet authority. Of course, being as big as Nigel Green helped a bit. I always did wonder why he didn't receive the VC; certainly as the movie portrayed him he deserved one.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the comments, I'm glad you like him. :)

Very nice bust. Just one thing, the 24th Regt. of Foot had Mid Green facings on the collar and epaulette, not dark blue.

Great character and a great film......"Be quiet Mr Witt, there's a good gentleman.......you'll upset the lads!"

Gary.

The uniforms in the film are not accurate. They also missed the white metal "24" off of the epaulette.

As this is a bust of a character from the film, I painted the uniform as it appeared.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Colour Sergeant Bourne was awarded the DCM for his actions at Rorke's Drift and was offered a commission but declined. He was commissioned in 1890, retired in 1907 and rejoined the army for the First World War. He died in 1945. In 1936 he recorded an account of Rorkes Drift, link to transcript: http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/defenders/tran.htm

Great stuff!

Edited by 593jones
  • Like 1

The uniforms in the film are not accurate. They also missed the white metal "24" off of the epaulette.

As this is a bust of a character from the film, I painted the uniform as it appeared.

A very impressive job on the bust.

Although the uniform details are not strictly accurate the collar and cuff facings are (correctly) green not dark blue in the film - http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article3659177.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Zulu.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I don't really care about the collar or epaulette colours, I just think that is a cracking paint job that does credit to both the real gentleman and the film character.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...