Ian Allan bookshop, Manchester

AWFK10

There's an announcement on the Ian Allan website that their shop in Manchester will be closing on June 30th. Another piece of bad news, following on from the loss of the Manchester Model Shop (and subsequently the branch of Modelzone that replaced it) and the decay of the Air and Space Museum. That leaves Waterstones on Deansgate, which used to have an excellent military and aviation section at one time but which, like their other branches, is heading towards being a paperback shop with a small selection of the latest hardbacks in popular subject areas.

Pity. I've been visiting Manchester for pleasurable book shopping for over 30 years - there were a couple of good secondhand bookshops in the Corn Exchange as well, way back before the IRA bombing in 1996 - but it's no longer going to be worth the train fare.

• Like 2

There's an announcement on the Ian Allan website that their shop in Manchester will be closing on June 30th. Another piece of bad news, following on from the loss of the Manchester Model Shop (and subsequently the branch of Modelzone that replaced it) and the decay of the Air and Space Museum. That leaves Waterstones on Deansgate, which used to have an excellent military and aviation section at one time but which, like their other branches, is heading towards being a paperback shop with a small selection of the latest hardbacks in popular subject areas.

Pity. I've been visiting Manchester for pleasurable book shopping for over 30 years - there were a couple of good secondhand bookshops in the Corn Exchange as well, way back before the IRA bombing in 1996 - but it's no longer going to be worth the train fare.

Hello AWFK10 -.John(Canberra Kid) have worked together in Manchester and always enjoyed a visit and occasional treat from both Ian Allan's Shop and Manchester Model Shop (always greeted with a friendly smile and "You're barred!!" by Des!).We've both probably stood next to you in those at some point.A sad turn of events for these great shops indeed.:( All the best,Paul.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree that Manchester has gone down the pan in regards to aviation/modelling enthusiasts,.... such a shame.

Has the Model shop that replaced Modelzone (same shop location) closed now? If so, that's not lasted that long.

thanks

Mike

I think so, as I went to try and find it in March. Although I think I got the right area, no shop could I find.

The one up the side street, practically next door to the former Modelzone shop? Afraid so. I spotted it on one visit, and went in. The next time I was in Manchester, it had gone. As far as I know, the only place selling models in Manchester now is the Modelzone franchise inside WH Smith in the Arndale Centre. The last time I was in, it had a very small selection of Airfix kits.

I think so, as I went to try and find it in March. Although I think I got the right area, no shop could I find.

It's near the corner of Deansgate and Oxford Rd, actually on Deansgate if that helps. It was in the exact same shop premises as the former Model Shop/Model Zone and just looked like they carried pretty much the same stock as Modelzone, ie, pretty much the whole ground floor dedicated to Diecast stuff while all the models (including trains) were in the much smaller basement.

thanks

Mike

It's near the corner of Deansgate and Oxford Rd, actually on Deansgate if that helps. It was in the exact same shop premises as the former Model Shop/Model Zone and just looked like they carried pretty much the same stock as Modelzone, ie, pretty much the whole ground floor dedicated to Diecast stuff while all the models (including trains) were in the much smaller basement.

thanks

Mike

That was the area, so it has gone.

Interesting. Modelzone was on the corner of Deansgate and a small side road - just checked Google Maps, and it's Bootle Street. Hopefully, this link will work. The entrance was literally on the corner of the two streets.The shop I went into was on Bootle Street, past the old Modelzone premises and possibly next door but if not very close to them. It was fairly small, with a limited range of plastic kits, and it didn't have a basement (or at any rate, I don't recall one - the kits were on the ground floor, anyway). Definitely not the Modelzone/Manchester Model Shop premises, which I know very well. I didn't know a model shop had been occupying them after Modelzone went under but then I don't visit Manchester more than a couple of times a year now. Anyway, that shop too had gone when I next passed that way.