FV107 Scimitar (AFV Club, 1/35)

Hi

Here's a Scimitar...Nice kit, and my first from AFV Club. The only problems were annoying rubber tracks and rubbish decals.

I also realised that almost all my builds have been desert colour (in Model Air Sand Yellow), so this one is green!

I would have liked to have added bar armour and a rollover protection system to make the Scimitar truly 'up-to-date', but I lack the scratch building skills....

Not sure about the purple 'phone cable, but hey-ho....

Hope you like.

Rob

IMG_1244_zpsckldwd6e.jpg

IMG_1243_zpst3e6tva9.jpg

IMG_1241_zps9tp0pucd.jpg

IMG_1239_zpsr8jmsxsj.jpg

IMG_1238_zpspblmgjez.jpg

IMG_1235_zps5md6ssgj.jpg

IMG_1246_zpsm555gjqp.jpg

IMG_1245_zpslba1yj78.jpg

• Like 21

Nice build! Purple cable? Obviously that was all that was left in stores that day :)

Agreed the tracks are terrible, I've always ended up using Fruilmodel tacks but the new AFV Club tracks seem to work well from what I've seen on other builds. Sadly Castoff models has stopped trading so there is no easy source of bar armour panels and I REALLY wouldn't recommend scratch building them as a comfortable exercise in sanity restoration, having done this very thing twice before :)

DSC_1031.JPG

(more on that build here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234958222)

• Like 1

Nice build! Purple cable? Obviously that was all that was left in stores that day :)

Agreed the tracks are terrible, I've always ended up using Fruilmodel tacks but the new AFV Club tracks seem to work well from what I've seen on other builds. Sadly Castoff models has stopped trading so there is no easy source of bar armour panels and I REALLY wouldn't recommend scratch building them as a comfortable exercise in sanity restoration, having done this very thing twice before :)

DSC_1031.JPG

(more on that build here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234958222)

Thanks!

Just thinking about making scratch built bar armour gives me a headache (a bit like rigging does).

Saw your build thread - great results, and amazing levels of patience!

• Like 1

Very nice build. I've got one of these in the stash, hopefully it will turn out as good as yours. You should try some black thread for the Don-10 telephone wire, I reckon that would do the trick.

• Like 1

Nice build , captures the CVRT stance perfectly.

Don10, always black and it's a very thin twin core cable in real life, makes really good speaker cable.

I use very fine wire from a hands free headset from an old mobile phone for my cable drums, I strip the cable down

And use the insulation from the cables for other things.

Regards

Dan

• Like 1

That's a cracking Scimitar! The build, paint and weathering is superb!

I really like that build and you've certainly made that kit into a lovely wee model.

Umm... Purple Don10??? :yikes:

My RSM would have made you paint that purple cable black before you could use it.

By the way... I really would recommend replacing the tracks! (And the D10 cable. :D )

I built one of these in Germany (BFG) many years ago and had it blue tacked to the car dash for eight years. The hot German sun eventually damaged the tracks. Mind you, they did last for eight years.

I need to get the Indy link tracks as I still have the model but the tracks are completely knackered.

You can see the state of the tracks (and the partly natural weathering here):

IMG_6946Large.jpg

I really want to get the new tracks to be honest. The tracks are actually melted to the sprockets and road wheels by the sun, as seen by the middle snapped bit on both sides (Look at the warped and bent track guides).

IMG_6944Large.jpg

This was built about 15 years ago and long before I discovered Britmodeller and model weathering.

To be honest, 8 years must actually be pretty good for rubber band tracks in the sun. :hmmm:

• Like 1

:oops:

My apols Rob, I didn't mean to hijack your thread and your cracking model. I just wanted to show the track damage from sun and old age.

No probs!

Considering your Scimitar has been sunburnt it still looks pretty good!

As mine will probably be spending its life in a display cabinet I'll leave the tracks on - they were a Royal pain to get on, and it involved lots of superglue....

Great job, love the paintwork.

Know what you mean about the tracks, I did one a year or so ago and had real probs so might replace them.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks! - yours looks great too, especially with the crew figures.