Hobbyboss vickers medium mk 1

cossack52

just received this kit today.looks very nice,but the colour scheme shows a hotchkiss sticking out vertically at the back of the turret roof,kit includes the hotchkiss,but no mention in the building instructions!

what would be an appropriate overall colour for this period?being a peacetime tank,i assume it would be kept in pristine condition.

Edited by cossack52

Looking at David Fletcher's book "Mechanised Force" the Mark 1 had 3 possible mountings around the turret for a Hotchkiss plus a 4th in the rear of the roof for shooting at aeroplanes. I doubt that the AA mounting was regularly used in practice being more something to get in the way of the 3 men in the turret than useful. The 4 Hotchkiss mountings were plated over on the Mark 1A in 1928 and were not present on the Mark 11.

As regards colour, Dick Taylor's "Warpaint Vol 1 says that in the early 1920s around the time the Mark 1 was introduced the previous brown was replaced by green. A number of shades of Bronze Green and Brunswick Green were used but by the early 1930s had settled on Deep Bronze Green.

My kit arrived yesterday and finding that I've already got oldish tins of WEM Mid Bronze Green and Deep Bronze Green I'll use one of those.