1/48 Revell Ju-88C-6 Biscaye fighter ### Finished 29-7-2016 ###

Ok guys, I will try something new here. Just like Mottlemaster I will try to do two builds in this GB.

My second choice is the 1/48 Revell Ju-88C-6 nightfighter converted to the day fighter.
I am planning to do a Gulf of Biscaye fighter from KG40. The decals are from Third group.
It will be build almost straight out of the box.

Here are some pictures of the kit.
IMG_3029_zpsdqgzpblt.jpg
IMG_3031_zpsy1iwoirt.jpg
IMG_3032_zpssoa9f7u1.jpg
IMG_3033_zpssqz3ewgu.jpg
And this is the version I am planning to do.(F8+RY)
IMG_3034_zpsf2hhlcgc.jpg

That is it for now.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 4

Ok guys, I will try something new here. Just like Mottlemaster I will try to do two builds in this GB.

My second choice is the 1/48 Revell Ju-88C-6 nightfighter converted to the day fighter.

I am planning to do a Gulf of Biscaye fighter from KG40. The decals are from Third group.

It will be build almost straight out of the box.

Here are some pictures of the kit.

IMG_3029_zpsdqgzpblt.jpg

IMG_3031_zpsy1iwoirt.jpg

IMG_3032_zpssoa9f7u1.jpg

IMG_3033_zpssqz3ewgu.jpg

And this is the version I am planning to do.(F8+RY)

IMG_3034_zpsf2hhlcgc.jpg

That is it for now.

Cheers,

Arnold have you seen ,Mottlemaster has gone quite mad and has gone for three builds :mental::winkgrin: . come on you know you can

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys,

This is the first update. My last build was a conversion to a Ju-388 from the dragon Ju-88 kit, and this is quite a few years back.

As from memory There were a few trouble areas to attend to. The first one was that the front fuselage is a little bit smaller than the rear fuselage. That is most noticable at the wingroot. So to remedie this I glued the front to the back halves.

IMG_3076_zps0e1va0hl.jpg

IMG_3075_zpswzjraehy.jpg

I hope this will give no problems later in the build. We will see if this experiment goes sour or not.

So guys don't try this at home.

I have also done some work on the cockpit. In some references I have seen that there was a extra box to the right front side below the instrument panell.

I think this was the third ammunition box for the frontal mg's.(picture above you can see it) I made this from a scrap piece of resin. The other two ammunition boxes are parts in the kit.

I have also placed most of the small parts in thecockpit tub exept for the seats. I am hoping to score some resin ones at a show this weekend. I will also try to get some new wheels and some exhausts.

here are two pictures of the cockpit when I was dry fitting it.Maybee you will also notice a extra box near the back. This was a storage box for spent cartridges from the 2 back mg's.

IMG_3077_zpss4kbeosm.jpg

IMG_3078_zpswfhwxlqq.jpg

And the last thing done was placing the guns in the nose. They are suposed to be on a ground plate, but Revell has done it this way. I will try to make a plate, just to give it that look. There is much more detail there in the Original plane, but that would mean a lot of scratch building and i wanted this one to be easy.

IMG_3079_zpszzbit44n.jpg

Before atatching the guns I removed the barrels with a fine saw, so i can paint them seperately and make it easier in the painting stage.

I might even get some new metal ones from a aftermarket set(probably Master ones). We will see.

Cheers,

P.S. This will be one of the last updates fow a few weeks. I am going on a holiday with the misses. :yahoo:

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 3

HA! My cunning plan is working, letting you guys build your ex-Dragons before me to see how the fuselage lines up, mainly because of my poor modelling skills, impatience and lazyness :evil_laugh:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see you're building a nightfighter Arnold.

I didn't know the Revell model was an old Dragon one, the fit is interesting (I have to admit I've yet to finish mine!) and from memory the wing-fuselage and fuselage-nose joins are pretty.......rubbish!

Will follow with interest.

Good to see you're building a nightfighter Arnold.

I didn't know the Revell model was an old Dragon one, the fit is interesting (I have to admit I've yet to finish mine!) and from memory the wing-fuselage and fuselage-nose joins are pretty.......rubbish!

Will follow with interest.

Sorry Rich, but this will be the dayfighter.

I hope to do a Nightfighter in the Nightfighter GB next year ( I think it will go through at the end of the year)

Cheers,

Sorry Rich, but this will be the dayfighter.

I hope to do a Nightfighter in the Nightfighter GB next year ( I think it will go through at the end of the year)

Cheers,

arr yes I noticed that when I re-read it! :doh:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have done the last things on the cockpit, before painting. This was putting on some etched seatbelts to the two seats.

I hope to paint it tomorrow. Than I will also put on some new pictures.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

....and I was just about to give you a hurry up!! :fight::D

I wanted to do the same to you in the Great patriotic war GB. :fight::winkgrin:

I still mis that Hs-129 from you. :popcorn:

Ok, now on with the more serious stuff.

here are some pictures of the interior painted and also given a black/brown wash. I still need to do some dry brushing and some detail painting.

I hope to do that this weekend.

IMG_3233_zpsrzzrk4ud.jpg

IMG_3232_zpsttp9k9lw.jpg

IMG_3231_zpsipnsodud.jpg

Don't worry about the sink marks in the first picture. They can't be seen after the fuselage is closed.

Cheers,

• Like 4

I wanted to do the same to you in the Great patriotic war GB. :fight::winkgrin:

I still mis that Hs-129 from you. :popcorn:

I thought you were going to build a Hs-129 as well? The Fw-190D will be much more fun....lots more to cut up and modify! I may still do the Hs-129 as even with all the extra bits it should be a quick build.

I'm hoping watching this build will inspire me to finish my 88 as well!

I thought you were going to build a Hs-129 as well? The Fw-190D will be much more fun....lots more to cut up and modify! I may still do the Hs-129 as even with all the extra bits it should be a quick build.

I'm hoping watching this build will inspire me to finish my 88 as well!

Because of a double build here I had to change plan. So thats why I build a Yak 3 in the Great Patriotic war GB.

I hope I can inspire you.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Ok guys,

Finally some pictures of the cockpit finished. The detail painting takes always more time then you think you need.

But with 4 builds at one time that is normal.

IMG_3244_zpsaot2qruv.jpg

IMG_3245_zpsvtoubsmz.jpg

This is it for now. Now it's time to put everything together.

Cheers,

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I closed the fuselage some time ago. I found the fit of the nose parts quite fiddely and aren't a good fit. I have done some work on it yesterday and blended the nose in. It now looks better, but I still need a lot to do.

I also glued the tail surfaces together, so that I can sand the seams after everything is dry.

Still need to glue the wings though.

When I make some pictures I will post them here.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Arnold , would you recommend gluing the cockpit half's to the fuselage sides as you did this time or pre assembling front and back and then attaching ? I ask as i believe you have built this kit previously the other way .

Arnold , would you recommend gluing the cockpit half's to the fuselage sides as you did this time or pre assembling front and back and then attaching ? I ask as i believe you have built this kit previously the other way .

The trouble in the end was that the back of the underside of the cockpit wasn't lined up and I got a small gap where the bombhatch is atached.

Maybee it is beter to do it the Original way. It is far easier to get the gap closed to the wings than there. I also had some trouble with the nose assembly. This could also have been the problem with my method.

So my recomendation would be to do it as they say in the instructions.

Cheers,

I nearly had a heart attack when I read that.......until I saw it was for this GB.

I really gotta pull my finger out on some of may builds as well!

Oh and that cockpit looks amazing!

• Like 1

Thanxs Rich.

Here are some more pictures of what has been done the last few days.

The closed up cockpit. I had some trouble with the nose. It wasn't a good fit. A specialy the parts for the C6 version. But after some sanding it is ok-ish.

IMG_3279_zpshpu2c6zm.jpg

I still have a gap to fill on the underside. IThat is of my method of putting the cabine to the fuselage. So maybee next time do it different.

IMG_3280_zpsjlzwwuvl.jpg

Wings etc glued.

IMG_3281_zps8mkssnvl.jpg

IMG_3283_zpsdcpfqrai.jpg

IMG_3282_zpsjnblkger.jpg

Now I need to tidy everything up before glueing it together.

Cheers,

• Like 3

I don't know what it is with the 1/48th versions of the 88. they all seem to have the same issues with poor fit around the nose section! It seems like Dragon (I assume this is a Revell re-box of the original, or they stuffed it up as well) was so intent in making as many versions possible with the base fuselage they gave up on making thinks fit.....at all!

But you're going well.....all these nice 88's keep making me want to finish mine!

• Like 1

I don't know what it is with the 1/48th versions of the 88. they all seem to have the same issues with poor fit around the nose section! It seems like Dragon (I assume this is a Revell re-box of the original, or they stuffed it up as well) was so intent in making as many versions possible with the base fuselage they gave up on making thinks fit.....at all!

But you're going well.....all these nice 88's keep making me want to finish mine!

I know what you mean. I have to say that this is the worst one from all. I have build a few.

But with some pursueasion it can be made into a good model.

Finish yours!!!!! You know you want to. I am planning to do a lot on the two 88's these two weeks when I have the late shift.

Cheers,