NASA Blue marbel Wooden map done with badog CNC artisan *amazing*

I found this awesome article about this dedicated guy who did an awesome wooden map for earth day, I thought I'd share with you. I know it's not my work but it's finished project, with pics and good discription.

45 years ago, on the very first Earth Day millions of humans decided to stand up for their planet. They joined force against pollution, deforestation, pesticides and oil spills … issues that continue to resonate with us today. Since we all have to care about this planet that we are living in, I wanted to make a wooden world map and do something to raise awareness and to show that we are all responsible whether is in your city, in your neighborhood or in your own life to protect our beloved earth from any kind of harm.

So for this occasion I wanted contribute with something I’m good at, and what I’m good at is creating something from pieces of materials with CNC machining.
My ide a was to engraving a 2.5D world map on a piece of wood, but this is not that impressive right? You are probably saying this has been done a million times and is not that original of an idea. But to that i say to you: What if the world map is a high resolution detailed height map from the Blue marble NASA project map? That would be awesome. In order to make my projet more realistic i thought that i would go to the NASA website and check out what height maps they had for the earth. In eessence, use NASA records to sculpt the earth correctly and with realistic details. For who doesn’t know what it is, this is a small definition:
NASA’s “Blue Marble” pictures of Earth show each month of the year 2004 to illustrate changes in snow cover and vegetation.

I got so wee weed and I almost to tears, I’m not going to make it to 22 April, the wood warped and I ripped through, I went too deep and ruined it, good thing it didn’t touch table and smoke the motors and burn down the whole garage. I gathered myself and redid it. Broken wooden world map.
Today I’m going to present to you my 22 hours’ worth of machine work with a Badog artisan CNC, thanks to my friend André who let me use everything, from his awesome kit to his garage to his cold beers . It took me 3 weeks to finish completely the NASA world map , I transformed the image into a heightmap with BMP2CNC software, then engraved the piece of wood, balsa wood. I used 2 tools one for rough and one for fin: rough was 10mm flat and the fine was a 3mm tapered ball mill. Rough took to 6 hours and fine took to 16 hours, with a 4.5kw Badog head. This is the best work I’ve ever done, dedicated to earth. I thought I share it with you although I didn’t make it to the deadline.

what a cool guy and what a masterpiece!! would you buy it?and how much would you price it? I'll leave you with the awesome images.

world-map-nasa-earth-e1462188551929.jpg

earth3.jpg

20160329_100132-e1462188518934.jpg

20160322_172116-e1462188295857.jpg

20160330_112023-e1462188613278.jpg

• Like 5

My bro owns a company that produces water-jet cutting machines. If you think the CNC is good, his machines range from cutting silicon chips for computers to cutting and repairing sheets of steel on oil tankers. Using water as the cutter, any heat is carried away, so there's no danger of explosions in oil tankers and they don't have to sit for weeks being vented of fumes as would be the case with normal oxy-acetylene cutting equipment... and with the microscopic water jets, silicon chips can be cut, again with no heat which would otherwise distort the 'chips'. Proud of my brother I am!

Badder.

• Like 1