Whippet, help needed

andym

Hi All,

Currently building Meng Whippet and have a question regarding engine deck. The kit features a cut out in one side of the engine deck plates:

Whippet_zpsvtkrthma.jpg

Am I correct that this should also appear in the opposite side plate and that there should be some sort of filler cap in/underneath it? I've looked at a lot of walkarounds but can't find a clear view of this area.

Regards,

Andy

Edit: Found a pic which clearly shows hole in both plates, just need to find what was in it (suspect a filler tube and cap):

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xMWsXpYJ2Bw/UgNTbOlrK5I/AAAAAAAAAEA/d44adZEiKwM/s1600/British+tanks+parade+thru+Dublin+in+celebration+of+the+end+of+WWI+1st+4+tanks+are+Whippets.jpg

Edited by andym

Yes, the cut out should be on both sides. It's about the only mistakes Meng made on the kit. I guess it got missed on the CAD design and got transferred over to the tooling. It's the filler cap for the radiator so it just needs drilling out, blanking off underneath, then a round cap adding.

Andy

Yes, the cut out should be on both sides. It's about the only mistakes Meng made on the kit. I guess it got missed on the CAD design and got transferred over to the tooling. It's the filler cap for the radiator so it just needs drilling out, blanking off underneath, then a round cap adding.

Andy

Thanks.

Andy

Meng are actually being perfectly accurate - but falling into the old trap of making a model of a preserved museum vehicle. I am told that the kit is based on a particular museum vehicle which had one side of the engine cover missing at one point and that this was replaced by a modern replacement. But the chaps in the metalbashing workshop omitted, for whatever reason, to cut out the semicircle in one side.

Edited by Lothian man
  • Like 1

Some were shipped directly from France and would probably have still been in brown. Those that came from the UK were olive green, so you could go either way. Most colour profiles show the Russian ones in green, and I think they look better that way (on a purely aesthetic level). There's an illustration of A371 Sphinx (which is on the Meng decal sheet) in the New Vanguard book on White Russian units, which shows it in green.

Andy

Some were shipped directly from France and would probably have still been in brown. Those that came from the UK were olive green, so you could go either way. Most colour profiles show the Russian ones in green, and I think they look better that way (on a purely aesthetic level). There's an illustration of A371 Sphinx (which is on the Meng decal sheet) in the New Vanguard book on White Russian units, which shows it in green.

Andy

"Sphinx" is the one I intend doing, will have to scratchbuild stowage boxes. Interestingly this Russian modeller painted his brown:

http://panzer35.ru/forum/52-15819-1

also I think "Sphinx" did have the bolted on plates on the left hand sides of superstructure as pointed out on page 3 (like those on Firefly)? It also has the upwards pointing brackets on the fuel tank that "Firefly" has.

Regards,

Andy

Edited by andym