Tiger Moth G-ACDC

Hi all,

I still haven't taken any "studio" shots as I'm busy processing the pictures of models which placed in the NZ Nationals and the Scale Models Expo competition last week, but I have finished my stalled Tiger Moth and taken a nice pic of it in front of the window:

26768020245_4e944c3c21_b.jpg

(Edit: un-broke the above pic and have add more in a follow-on post below...)

It was a fun build, despite the various bits of fettling required, at least until I did the rigging which was pretty stressful. And then I broke (somehow, maybe when we moved?) one strand and put it back in the cupboard for the best part of a year.

You can read the build thread for more details. Thanks to all those who chipped in with tips and comments, especially Adrian whose rigging techniques I followed.

In the end it only took a day to fix the rigging, make new windscreens and generally get it cleaned up and done, plus a few hours to chuck a base together. I'm glad I built it and I'll probably make another although using the Airfix windscreens this time :)

(I like how fine the home-made screens look, but I hate the gappy join to the fuselage - they were just so small it was very hard to get them fixed securely...)

Cheers,

Will

• Like 23

Amazing work,

That photo is absolutely stunning. I followed your build thread and the finished product was picture perfect :D I also really loved the little base you put it on.

I read you had it displayed at the model expo in Wellington a couple weeks back, unfortunately I had a busy weekend and had to give it a miss, I'd have loved to have seen it first hand.

Edited by Squibby
  • Like 1

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the base - very quick to do but so satisfying because it makes the photo opportunities a lot richer.

26789851475_db317bd295_b.jpg

I have now taken some finished pictures as you can see :)

26722941721_3fe711bb3e_b.jpg

26765165736_1f678b9c33_b.jpg

26517552850_51bc86c776_b.jpg

26696178192_1735cb2029_b.jpg

(click for bigger)

I also took the opportunity to add a pin to one of the wheels and get the thing attached to the base properly. And before that I added a couple of expansion seams in the tarmac with a black pen, which I think make it a bit more interesting to look at?

Deliberate mistakes I've found so far: The tailplane struts are still AWOL, and I fitted the forward door upside-down. I should also have picked out the lower (rolled?) edges of the doors in silver but totally forgot.

It's in the cabinet now and hopefully staying there so I can get on and finish something else!

Thanks for looking :)

Will

• Like 30

Wow, stunning. I seen this aircraft when I landed at Headcorn enroute to Alicante in a microlight in 1996. Being a big ACDC fan, I noticed it straight away!

Stunning finish, it's hard to believe it's the 1/72 kit. The base is a work of art in itself :)

• Like 1

Thanks folks, very kind of you. I just realised my white backgrounds have light grey bits in so at some point I may have to go back and edit those out...

Will

Thankyou!

I have fixed the broken pic, and I've also started cleaning up the parts for the Airfix Eindecker which seems (apart from a couple of rather thick detail parts) a big step up from the Tiger Moth in terms of fit :)

Will

Thanks again! I've just acquired a couple more of the photo frames I used for the base - they're the equivalent of four quid each and it's really nice/unusual to find a square one.

I might do up a base for my MiG-15 using one - I always rather fancied one of those hexagonal concrete things but I don't know if they were ever used in Czechoslovakia.

Will

Hi Will,

your Moth is simply perfect. Perfect in built and painting this lil`gem.

The paintsheme is very attractive and let the small model looks like nobly. The arrangement of the the scenery is wonderful and the outdoor pictures are very atmospheric.

Great job and absolutely motivating

:yes:

Dirk

• Like 1

wow, I have the 1/32 matchbox Tiger Moth (reboxed by Revell) in my stash... your build is stunning and inspires me to get on with mine! great build, thanks for sharing, Olli 

• Like 1

Thanks all, very kind of you. I have another one somewhere which I was going to do in one of the trainer schemes (maybe an NZ trainer?) but I should probably finish a stalled Eindecker and a load of other things first.

Cheers,

Will