For my warm up entry i have ventured deep into the stash where little light reaches to pull out this state of the art (in 2002) limited release (5000) kit.

I think it came into my ownership as a purchase at the first model show i attended at yovilton for little more than £ 3.50 , well this is written on the squashed box.

I think Hasegawa have managed to get this version from their moulds so i hope someone here does one for the G/B so we can compare..

P1010611.jpg

The box is past its best but looking at the contents they look passable ,just.

I will be doing this machine from KG 66 based in France sometime in 1944.

P1010654.jpg

A paint scheme that will be a good chalang ,but at least it doesnt have any yellow on it.

Will post pictures of the contents tomorrow.

Cheers

Alistair

• Like 6

Looking through the contents it looks like nothing is missing but the decals look like they have got damp and have some mildew growing on them

P1010613%20-%20Copy.jpg

Its only the yellow B's that i need so will find out at the end .

The plastic looks to be almost flash free and of good quality with small sprue gates.

P1010615.jpg

P1010614.jpg

P1010616.jpg

P1010617.jpg

I will be doing this build OOB ,not even a canopy mask set !

The clear parts are ok but certainly not the best i'v seen

P1010618.jpg

The clear parts do look to be very thin , so will have to handle with care.

• Like 3

That is a fine looking model. I love the scheme :wub: you are planning to do. with loads of different colours and a challenge to paint. :thumbsup2:

A pitty about the decals, but looking at the paint scheme you only need the yellow B's and those look to be the only good ones on the sheet.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Thanks Ozzy ,Arniec and Rob . Yes its a bizare paint scheme ,probably desighned by someone who worked as a childrens bedroom wall paper desighner pre-war . i have had a few ideas on how to go about it but all will swallow up loads of time makeing hundreds of minute blue tack balls .

• Like 3

I'll be watching this with interest as I've the S1/T1 boxing of this kit in the stash.

Duncan B

Hi Duncan . I think the S1 also has this style of plker dot / squigle paint scheme . still thinking of way to do it .

will watch this as well

Hi Lyn . thanks for takeing a look.

To make a start i have removed the fuselage sides for a test fit to find that the right hand side is lower by about 1.5 mm at the top along the spine . As the plastic is very thin i have attached some plastic card along the left hand side to act as a lip to leaver up the right side and increase the surface area for glueing.

P1010620_1.jpg

Now going to look at getting the cockpit done . This is no new revell kit so part count is low (along with detail ) however the canopy is fuzzy enough that this wont be a problem.

• Like 3

The S1 kit does also have the polka dot scheme. I would consider using the blu tack blob method mentioned above.

From what I remember reading about this kit I think the fuselage might be a bit thin but it still looks reasonable on the sprues for it's age.

Duncan B

• Like 1

The S1 kit does also have the polka dot scheme. I would consider using the blu tack blob method mentioned above.

From what I remember reading about this kit I think the fuselage might be a bit thin but it still looks reasonable on the sprues for it's age.

Duncan B

What i'm going to do is a comparison test between blue tack and copydex on some plastic card ten i wont lie awake thinking i should have done it otherwise.

progress to day ...

P1010631.jpg

P1010633.jpg

Looking at the last picture i have seen iv lost a rudder peddle so its time to go over the carpet with a head torch.

• Like 6

Sounds like a good plan, what paint do you use?

Duncan B

I use all sorts . often have acrylic , enamel and cellulose based paints on same model . I think i will undercoat in halfords grey and then use Mr.color paints for everything else as the squigles in this scale are going to need something that doesnt dry to fast.

i used Model master rlm 66 for the cockpit

• Like 1

I've recently started using Mr Paint's RLM colours and have been very impressed with them. Similar to Mr Color lacquers but pre thinned and some of the colour matches are better (i.e. 70 and 71) and they do 72 and 73 along with the early colours.

Duncan B

• Like 1

I've recently started using Mr Paint's RLM colours and have been very impressed with them. Similar to Mr Color lacquers but pre thinned and some of the colour matches are better (i.e. 70 and 71) and they do 72 and 73 along with the early colours.

Duncan B

I like pre thinned ,less wastage as any left in the airbrush i tip back in the bottle .

progress has been good with a nice sunny lunch hour between rain .

Fuselage has been joined and the plastic card reinforcement worked a treat . There is no way i could ever pries the sides apart .

P1010637.jpg

i had a small gp at front top which has been filled with plastic card and remaining join a quick paint of mr surfacer 1000

With the sides together i test fitted the canopy and have discovered a problem . The fuselage is either 1.5 mm to wide or the canopy sides are curled inwards . i think the curled canopy is the problem so will put some thinking time tonight into a fix . there normally is a fix its just finding it .

P1010640.jpg

By the way the lunch hour lasted about 2 1/2 hours ... lucky i.m self employed :)

• Like 4

That's a pain! Nothing like doing some great work to find something not so great to do!

The cockpit looks very nice, well done

Rob

Edited by rob85

that is some nice progress. For the cockpit problem I would try to glue some stretched sprue on the inner side of the rim and press the canopy over it to widen it. o, if you do this don't forget to paint it the inside colour first, before putting the canopie on.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

canopy not good but you are doing a good job

Thanks Lyn . i think iv got a canopy solution.

I tried Arnolds idea with the stretched sprue glued to the sides to create a ridge to prise the canopy sides out but the spring was to strong and it would not stay in position .

option two was to put in hot water and try to bend canopy into shape . how come plastic spoons melt when suturing coffee but plastic canopies refuse to alter their shape .Luckily no damage was done .

Option 3 I have made a spreader out of brass tube . RESULT it works like a dream

P1010636.jpg

Without P1010639.jpg

With P1010638_1.jpg

That is a big relief .

Have just spent around an hour with the masking tape and new blade

P1010642.jpg

Will finish it tomorrow as have now gone a little MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

• Like 5

Nice save on the canopy, good to see there was a little play in it for the brass rod. I like the masking, I think I spent the same time doing the front today.