DNF :-( Revell 1/72 Ju 88 A-4 LT and Ju 88 A-4... but got close :-)

So far I'm only certain of the kit I'll build, The Revell newish A-4, and the standard RLM 65/70/71 splinter camo. I'm still hesitating should I build a straight OOB A-4 for KG 30, add nose MG-FF for one, convert it to an A-4 torp for III/KG 26 or make a D-1 for 1.(F)/22... All from Luftflotte 5 in Northern Norway, late summer of 1942. Decisions, decisions! V-P

EDIT: will post progress of building two kits in just one thread, it´s so much easier, regarding how much these kits have in common.

EDIt 2: A-4 torp is already on its way and the MG-FF will be added to otherwise Plain Jane A-4

Edited by vppelt68
Topic tags added, build edited
  • Like 4

I don´t know yet which version to build! But I´m just about ready to start. I learned from my recent twin Hurricane build in two separate GB:s that it´s so much easier to combine builds in one thread so here we are, in a one and only thread for two planes to be built. On with some pics...

DSCN2887_zpsspwanw1v.jpg

Boxart

DSCN2889_zpscyhubew7.jpg

Instructions - for better look check Revell website and download them in .pdf-format.

DSCN2888_zpsw96rst07.jpg

Sprues - for better look check Britmodeller review from a few years ago

DSCN2892_zpstcaxgeiv.jpg

I recommend this to anyone building a Revell kit - tape box ends shut and cut rear to make a lid

DSCN2894_zps5e1mhmzu.jpg

Some of the different sprues between these kits - left obviously for the fighter, right for the bomber version

DSCN2891_zpszua1el9f.jpg

References, not Ju 88- specific but about "the northern flank of the Luftwaffe", the pictorial is a supplement to the actual book on the right that has a lot of facts but very few pics

DSCN2890_zpsw7qeu67s.jpg

And last but not least, the excellent Norwegian Luftwaffe SIG special issue #5 about the Ju 88 in Norway

Some actual building tonight? I hope so! Regards, V-P

• Like 5

The glue is vaporizing and plastic is hardening, as I've just finished 2x steps 1, 2 and 4...

**my next Ju 88 kit will be a Zvezda, Hasegawa, Italeri... I don't want to assemble those rudder pedals one single time more in my life**

• Like 3

I think we shouldn´t wonder how many parts can Revell cram in the Ju 88 cockpit. What we should wonder, is how much detail in so few parts can they include! There´s just 9 parts in each here, all the sticks, rods and seat attachement parts have been cleverly molded to flatback pieces. I can wait to begin detail painting these, though... Sorry about the fuzzy picture :-(

DSCN2898_zpssmugrxom.jpg

• Like 5

It makes the dragon 1/48 88 look like a minimalist studio flat

I think we shouldn´t wonder how many parts can Revell cram in the Ju 88 cockpit. What we should wonder, is how much detail in so few parts can they include! There´s just 9 parts in each here, all the sticks, rods and seat attachement parts have been cleverly molded to flatback pieces. I can wait to begin detail painting these, though... Sorry about the fuzzy picture :-(

DSCN2898_zpssmugrxom.jpg

It makes the Dragon 88 g6 cockpit look like a minimalist studio flat thats been subject to years of windblown sand erosion reducing any sharp detail into a whimper of unidentifiable blob

• Like 3

The glue is vaporizing and plastic is hardening, as I've just finished 2x steps 1, 2 and 4...

**my next Ju 88 kit will be a Zvezda, Hasegawa, Italeri... I don't want to assemble those rudder pedals one single time more in my life**

They are a bit fiddely, but noting to serious I think. I am thinking of putting some cables in it like te original.

I am also thinking of buying the C version as well.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Watch out for Revell's instructions when it comes to the exhausts, I sure they have you fit the outer ones in the inner positions and vice versa IIRC.

I'm enjoying being a spectator on this GB although I really should jump in with at least one of mine (maybe once I've finished my Hunter?)

Duncan B

• Like 1

I also found out today that there are some parts that are on the O sprue, but no O sprue to be seen. I later found out that it was a small F sprue. In the manual they call it O, but on the sprue F. Very confusing.

Cheers,

• Like 1

The Zerstörer instructions tell you to open the holes for external bomb racks. Luckily, I'm not one of those who read and follow them .
Otherwise... Ich liebe dich, Revell AG! I needed a getaway from even thinking the cockpits, so I decided to build some wings. So I built a pair for the C-6, and all the tailplanes, flaps and ailerons too. The fit was very good. The positioning and thickness of the sprue gates was very good. The plastic was very easy to clean. Flash was nonexistent. The plastic reacted to cement instantly.
I just can't wait to do the other set!

EDIT: pic added

001_zpsnnrnke5s.jpg

Edited by vppelt68
  • Like 5

I hope the 1/32 a4 has the same attributes .A nice plastic makes the whole experience far more enjoyable . I shal read the instructions with care.

It does have all the nice bits.

Cheers,

Hi VP,

I don't know if Finnish 88's had the antenna's under the fuselage, but watch out for the holes in the fuselage. Have a look at my build for the correction.

Cheers,

• Like 2

I don't know if Finnish 88's had the antenna's under the fuselage

Another thank you for your advice! Finnish Ju 88:s did have those antennas, but I haven´t intended to do a Finnish AF plane... at least so far... I´ve still got some time to decide!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The builds go on... Thanks!!! to Stew (Dapple) for donating me some parts left over from his Zvezda A-1 build, I can now try to do an A-4 Torp as my "bomber" build. Revell base A-4 kit, Hasegawa LT-5f:s, Zvezda torpedo racks and guidance channel cover (or whatever it is called) I just wonder if this build still needs a Hasegawa MG-FF to complete it!? I try to bash together lettering for one of the III/KG 26 planes lost while attacking PQ 18 - starting with 1T+

DSCN2908_zpss2t0cjqv.jpg

I can´t say which fuselage came in A and which in C kit - and not that which will end up in which build! Lovely kits :-)

DSCN2909_zpsvimkj8wf.jpg

A pair of wings is pierced for two PVC racks - though I don´t know how the Zvezda racks will fit them. At least they now mark the spot! Neither of the wings will have dive brakes fitted as I believe the converted torpedo bombers had them removed, and fighters never had them installed.

DSCN2910_zpslkdxktmk.jpg

Flaps and ailerons, and wheels that will need some sanding but that´s my fault, I wasn´t careful enough while lining them up.

DSCN2912_zps7klix6is.jpg

I just had to fit the wings on to see how they look... I´d say they are lacking something! Next, I´ll paint the rear fuselage and wheel well interiors.

Regards, V-P

• Like 5