235 squadron Mosquito's

Monty Python

Looking for the answer to a colour question regarding the spinners of 235sq Mosquito's at Banff in 1945. According to the Xtradecals instructions they give them as roundel red but show them as a brighter red than WWII roundel red.

I have seen 2 colour photos of Max Aitken's a/c (MA-01) when in charge of the squadron. They seem to have been slightly colourised as one shows a bright glossy red and the other shows a slightly darker red. Both photos are of the same a/c and taken at around the same time. Any help would be most welcome.

TIA

• Like 1

Take Xtradecals' instructions with a pinch of salt: sometimes the colour rendition isn't all it could be, which may well be down to the printers rather than whoever designed the instructions (other manufacturers also suffer from this). Do the photos show spinners and national markings? If the spinners match the roundel and fin flash red in both I'd suggest that the darker wartime red is the correct colour to use. If not you may need to search for other images, which could open other cans of worms if they also differ. It's not inconceivable that the brighter red was available, or even a locally-mixed or procured colour, especially for the boss's aeroplane, but IIRC Banff was a wartime airfield so unlikely to have much, if any, per-war stores holdings.

Edited by stever219

Unfortunately one of the photos show a head on view and the other one is a side view of the nose, so I cannot compare the red with the roundel.

It looks like a 'I'll paint them a red and somebody has to prove it's the wrong shade' moment.

Edited by Monty Python