Battle beyond the Stars!

for those of you who were around during 1980 you might remember this sci-fi film called Battle Beyond the stars which had John boy Walton breaking out of the mould to do something a little different in the world of acting, namely a sci-fi movie.

now the main ship in the film he was in was an old corsair called Nell, which had an interesting shape, especially when viewed head on... sometimes known as the boobie ship, i'm sure you will figure it out...anyway fantastic plastic have released a resin version of the kit for $110 plus shipping.

nellFP_zpsibnm7eum.jpg

here is a bad copy of the trailer for the original film it's about a farm boy from a desert type of planet who goes off to recruit mercenaries; star wars meets the magnificent seven in space. incidentally the special effects were done by a young Jim Cameron, who would later be responsible for The Teminator and Avatar; the ship and other items were reused in another film called Space Raiders

Battle Beyond the Stars:

Space Raiders:

boobies!

• Like 3

I remember it well. It of course a straight sci-fi remake of The Magnificent Seven, Robert Vaughn even has some of the same lines. Which is of course a remake of The Seven Samurai....

Anyway, IIRC Roger Corman asked ILM to do the effects. They asked for a million dollars. He told them to get stuffed, set up his own effects shop to do the effects for half the price, then used them again for Space Raiders. James Horner did the score - his first feature? Corman re-used that as well in Raiders and then a third time in some fantasy movie.

I was 11 and thought it was great. But I was just old enough to be consider Sybil Danning to be even better than the explosions. Nice to see a kit from the film - hopefully there will be others?

• Like 1

Love seeing these kits from older sci-fi movies released.

Now if only someone would release some kits from The Black Hole...

there were some kits made by mpc years ago of the robots, vincent and maximilian...you might get lucky on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Black-Hole-Maximillian-MPC-Vintage-Model-Kit-1979-/121977950847?hash=item1c6673d27f:g:ROAAAOSw2x1XK9V-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...