Super Mystere B2 - Vintage Airfix kit 1972

I felt like an "easy" quick build so i chose this because i already have its little brother the Mystere IVA in my collection. This kit was produced in 1972, it joined my collection recently and till now its going together pretty well considering its an old kit!
What i like about these old kits is they go together pretty quickly because of the lack of detail.
Im actually quite suprised at how detailed certain part are!

IMG_3168.jpg

Plan on building the polished metal french af one.

IMG_3180.jpg

Pretty detailed panel. but the seat look like a kids potty.

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg

Pretty detailed wheel hubs.

IMG_3172.jpg

Scratch built seat belts

IMG_3176.jpg

Painted anthracite gray, like this through the canopy, the lack of detail and huge empty space would not show

IMG_3177.jpg

Stuck together pretty well

IMG_3178.jpg

After just a few days.. plane was already stuck together and we had what looked like a super mystere!

IMG_3200.jpg

IMG_3201.jpg

The joints were not smooth and needed SOME filler...

IMG_3219.jpg

e3d9af0c-4e13-418f-a7c5-c88aa3a6bbb5.jpg

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)

Groovy! Must admit I'm a fan of the old Airfix kits.

They lack the detail that modellers take for granted now but they sure were, and are, fun to build with just a few simple scratch add-ons!

• Like 1

Hi Adrian,

You're doing a nice job. One suggestion, since you're not rescribing the panel lines, you prob'ly want to keep them as much as possible. Masking the areas where filler isn't needed, both when applying putty and when sanding it off, is the way to go in these cases. Just my two cents.

Looking forward to see your Mirage completed,

Bone

• Like 1

Nice to see a golden oldies getting some attention!

It does look to be a pretty decent kit considering its age.

With raised lines you can just re-scribe the ones that have been, lost takes the scribed line to next panel junction, and it will look fine.

After all most kits have a combination of raised and recessed lines and we don't generally raise an eyebrow at that.

Karl

• Like 2

Hi Adrian,

You're doing a nice job. One suggestion, since you're not rescribing the panel lines, you prob'ly want to keep them as much as possible. Masking the areas where filler isn't needed, both when applying putty and when sanding it off, is the way to go in these cases. Just my two cents.

Looking forward to see your Mirage completed,

Bone

Who said im not? i currently am. forgot to mention it!

• 1 month later...

Scribing... a very slow time consuming job! it was also my first time using the Trumpeter scriber.

IMG_3225.jpg

The model after scribing all the panel lines. Also a first time for me was fixing the canopy before paint!

IMG_3254.jpg

Finally a coating of Vallejo grey Primer. Sprays really easily but it sucks when it comes to sanding! it tears away rather than sanding away gently.

IMG_3255.jpg

IMG_3256.jpg

2 coatings of black gloss acrylic to prep for the alclad polished alum. no matter what.. i kept getting orange peel on the black.

IMG_3274.jpg

And just as i feared would happen... not too happy with the result. it looks a bit too shiny. i decided to tone it down by RANDOMLY shading panels on the aircraft with dark aluminum. I decided to go for polished aluminum because these aircraft were indeed polished up, not painted. So painting it silver would be pretty inaccurate.

IMG_3279.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

After all that careful spraying and masking... i get over spray while spraying the red wing tips. i tried to remove it with airbrush cleaner but it melted the clear and damaged the aluminum. So i had to mask up some panels and re spray them. :poo:

IMG_3277.1.jpg

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)
  • Like 7

Considering their age... the decals went down very well and they barely had any yellowing. they were a bit thick, which is a good thing so that undercoat doesnt show through, and mr mark setter and softer did its job well in making them stick down. Though they didnt always sink well into panel lines.
IMG_3284.jpg

Decals all on and covered with a coating of Klear.

IMG_3285c.jpg

IMG_3286c.jpg

IMG_3287c.jpg

Panel washing was done with artists water colours.

IMG_3289c.jpg

IMG_3290c.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work so far - keep it up!

I've got several of these in the stash that I really must get around to one day.

Nice work so far - keep it up!

I've got several of these in the stash that I really must get around to one day.

Its actually not that bad! very simple build. goes together pretty well considering its age. do you have THIS kit?

Its actually not that bad! very simple build. goes together pretty well considering its age. do you have THIS kit?

Yes I do.

Try thinning/mixing the Vallejo Primer with a good dollop of Klear/Future/etc... It dries rock hard and can be sanded to a feathered margin. It will also provide a nice glossy surface for metallic finishes.

It is great to see one of these classic models being built. I made one when it first came out and always thought it to be one of Airfix's better models from the 70's.

Looking forward to seeing her in RFI!

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

Ooh this is nice. Not seen one built up since I did one when it first came out. Looking very nice indeed!

BTW read somewhere once that the camouflage options in the instructions are works of fiction.

Trevor

Gosh, this brings back memories. Remember making this as a teenager, the pungent smell when lathering on the never hardening Humbrol 11. You're making a really nice job of this.

Ooh this is nice. Not seen one built up since I did one when it first came out. Looking very nice indeed!

BTW read somewhere once that the camouflage options in the instructions are works of fiction.

Trevor

What is? the colour or the pattern?

Gosh, this brings back memories. Remember making this as a teenager, the pungent smell when lathering on the never hardening Humbrol 11. You're making a really nice job of this.

hehe ALL silvers seem to stink. both humbrol and revell!

What is? the colour or the pattern?

The pattern. Don't ask me to quote from where because that was many moons ago! No doubt there are IAF experts here that could give more details.

Trevor

• Like 1