1/16 Takom FT-17 Renault

Hi all!

This month I started a new challenge, my very first kit in 1/16 scale and on top of that from World War One, the Takom 1/16 FT-17 Renault! At first I was reluctant to choose this kit, since I have no experience on that scale and I have read about WWI in the past, but never work a kit from that era, so I'm on uncharted waters in many ways. I order the kit with a book reference which I receive from Spruebrothers in just 4 days! (consider that I’m out of the States in the Caribbean, Puerto Rico).

Started right away to look at the parts and get familiarized and also look at the information and pictures of the reference book. So I started now calling this a Char, not a panzer, not a tank, that’s the word for tank in French. Also found that this tank was call during WWI just as FT! The FT-17 name was later after the war due to the amount of variants and other French’s projects related. This Char was considered the first tank ! and was used in many conflicts and many countries, so I found a lot of references for the colors.

I started right away with the engine, at first the pictures were difficult to find, and even I confuse the American version with the french one.

The engine its just called 4 HP Renault engine, the American one is the BUDA HU engine.

The building its very straight forward, some cleaning is needed, but is minimal, the fitting is perfect. I added the cabling, the sparks plugs and some metal tubing to represent it as much real as possible.

Primer was next in black and for that task I used Krylon black color in a can. The cover is great and its dries in 15-20 minutes. (sorry for the bad pictures).

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue
  • Like 1

The instructions give you a guide of color for the engine, but I used instead the pictures of the reference book.

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue
  • Like 1

Weathering of the engine started with a wash of black, then another with burnt umber.

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue
  • Like 1

Test fitting of the hull, always do this from time to time to detect any issue before you get to a more complicated stage.

Beautiful fitting, like a glove, and look at the size! okay is smaller than almost all the tanks but still is a great one.

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue

For the next part I started weathering the engine compartment, I wanted to show a lot of everything but not in a exaggerated way, so with that in mine I used a very fine wash of burnt umber to tone down the white, chipping and scratch marks using a mix of black and burnt umber applied with a toothpick, a fine brush and a sponge. Later I added stains and some 3 tones of rust due to water exposure, etc.

On the other side, that reside inside the tank's belly, the story is a different one. The rust is not present, only stains, scratches and grime.

The driver floor also receive a similar treatment as the previous parts, except for the rust.

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue
  • Like 1

This recipe is repeated to the interior walls of the tank, then I added the pedals, the seat, and all the small details on the driver's area, and glued in place the complete engine. Here I put one side to test again the fitting, and still perfect. A lot of retouches were done overall to match the tones between the parts.

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue

After inspecting the tracks vs the reference I found that they were casted and the textured was missing in my plastic kit. So for this task I used the Tamiya Thin glue and cover the whole track, then I used a stiff brush to tap all the track, showing the following result. ( I think I overdo this one, but the next ones are ok). I remove the numbers from a sprue using a new blade and here is the result after applying it to the track.

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue

FT-17: gun barrel. I decide to switch to brass tube for the gun and for the sight. Also drill the hole for the periscope too, still need a flat ring to make a better look on it. Here you can see the results, I think they look much better. Next the turret!

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue

evidence that this fella at some stage of production was used with unpainted wooden wheels.

And another good reference for the Japanese version. Look at the Kanji at the side of the hull.

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue

Following my previous work on a Sherman howitzer, I wanted to start the kit in Black & White too. This help me a lot to know were I'm going with the painting and weathering of the kit.

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue
  • Like 1

I ordered the resin to cast the wheels, but while waiting I wanted to experiment a bit painting the wood grain and see the results.

Started imitating the lines using a fine brush and Tamiya Linoneum deck brown xf-79,

n I sealed using satin varnish so I can start with the first wash using black very diluted.

Here I experiment using filters of yellow and brown applied by brush, then another thinned black wash, and painted the metal parts.

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue
  • Like 2

For the base color I was looking for a inital color use in japanese war machines, Steven Zaloga have some articles about the theme, and also found some more inf here (http://matadormodels.co.uk/tank_museum/xcamo_ww2japan.htm)

So after a research I decided to go with a very light Olive Drab. So I use the Color Modulation set from AMMO for the task.

Here the results using the Basic Highlight Olive Drab.

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue

Here some practice of the Kanji before applying it. Some retouches to the wheels, installed as well but not glued, only for fitting purposes. Also painted with a tamiya flat earth xf-52 the tracks to initiate a more weathered look.

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue
  • Like 1

Starting the initial dust using a mix of Tamiya Buff, Deck Tan and Flat earth. Still a long way to go.

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue

Detailing of the layers of dust, dry and wet mud in process using the whole line of Dust & Mud from Ammo.

here is the progress on the tracks too, still in half-stage of weathering process, more details to come. Also the side with the Kanji

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue
  • Like 1

Hi! I'm back with a new update on the FT-17. I just finished the main weathering of the tracks & wheels, so I attached it to the hull. Some oils and wet mud also added, but I'm with mixed feelings, probably I make some minor changes to the actual mud effect. More to come!

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue
  • Like 1

Now 2 pictures of the full kit, still in progress, but almost done. Need some micro-detailing here and there and the base.

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue
  • Like 2

Well the kit is finally done, only the wooden base is pending. I present you my version of the Japanese FT-17 Trainer tank during the 1929-1940 period more or less, using the Takom 1/16 FT-17 Renault. Hope you have enjoy the ride like I did

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue
  • Like 2

For the base I used a native wood base donated by one artisan last year.

For the final touch, a Rising Sun flag printed in high quality paper, cut and trimmed.

Edited by catdude01
photobucket issue

Great build and finish mate :clap: Bravo!.

Inspirational work indeed.

Therefore, humbly, I will start my own japanese army FT-17 project too :whistle: ...inspired by your work :) .

Cheers from Brazil
Edited by Carius
  • Like 1