Tamiya 1:35 Triceratops Eurycephalus - Finished

Hi all.

I've finally got around to posting about starting the building of my Triceratops. This is the second model that I'll have built for, well, many years.

Back ground: Mr PlaStix suggested that I take part in the Starter Set Group Build and I found an Airfix Mary Rose kit to make. I really enjoyed making it, spending time with Mr P and learning different techniques for painting, putting on decals, etc.. So I decided to look for something else to have a go at. Mr P had mentioned that there were dinosaur kits and I found some at one of our regular model shops when we went to Birmingham. I chose the Tamiya 1:35 Triceratops Eurycephalus kit because of the scene in 'Jurassic Park' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JylK4HuKMvQ

During my research I also found why the Triceratops's got sick...

Anyway I bought the kit,

26498206422_4321fd4203_c.jpg

finished off the Mary Rose and got started.

I had a minor panic when I thought the instructions were in Japanese - but then found the English version underneath.

26524866991_692d4d9532_c.jpg

26590747025_8527986467_c.jpg

There aren't too many parts and they're not too fiddly also there are no decals which was a relief after the tiny ones on Mary Rose. The surface is quite nicely detailed with lumps, bumps and creases in the right places.

25987591123_6f6255a1ea_c.jpg

25985670154_7a040fd8b4_c.jpg

I like the expression on the face.

26317596480_4991015e1c_c.jpg

Cutting it out after I'd washed it all was not as scary as the first attempts on the Mary Rose, I didn't break anything!

After filing and sanding down I was allowed to use the 'proper' glue to fix the legs, head and body bits together. I was advised to use the tape to help support it until the glue dried.

26611698455_e65f880fb0_c.jpg

There will be quite a few areas which will require filling, that's the next thing for Mr P to teach me... The long weekend beckons and I'm avoiding the garden, so hopefully more progress to follow!

Edited by Mrs PlaStix
  • Like 7

A very good start on the dino, Mrs P! Since it'sr relatively simple to build, it seems the real challenge will be the painting stage :)

Very curious to see how it turns out.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks Jaime, you're quite right - but when sticking bits together I managed to get quite confused several times! I have absolutely zero spatial awareness! Painting will be challenging, not just working out the colour scheme but also practising different techniques on a larger surface. Fortunately I've got Mr P plus all these excellent examples to help me.

• Like 1

I'm curious too :popcorn: Dinosaurs aren't normally my thing, but if you don't mind, I'd like to give you a word of advice: although the parts are "empty", I would add some metal pins to strengthen the bond between body and legs/head.

Ciao

• Like 1

I don't think you realise what you've let yourself in for with this kit.

Once its done you'll look at it standing there and you'll think; it needs to be standing amongst jungly type plants ~~~~~

which leads you on to getting a board or frame and making a diorama scene for it stand in and be displayed.

Just kidding [sort of]

• Like 2

Great minds think alike Black Knight!

I'd already got to thinking about that having seen some of the other threads. Am negotiating the acquisition of some of Mr P's palm trees and scenery. Having said that our garden is so overgrown I could just use It as a backdrop...

Edited by Mrs PlaStix
  • Like 1

Time to get Triceratops out for next session... Taking off the masking tape I realised that there is a lot more filing and sanding required to get her looking good.

There's quite a lot of flash - another term new to me, to remove and some bits which don't quite match up perfectly, Mr P says he'll teach me how to fill any gaps.

26120667674_0220239c12_c.jpg

26726982185_3ee2e8bb49_c.jpg

26633623642_f3a1664070_c.jpg

I spent an hour or so filing and sanding my triceratops - not a sentence that I ever thought I'd ever write!! It was extremely therapeutic, sat in the kitchen chatting occasionally with Mr P as he worked on his kit. I was also watching baby squirrels playing in the tree in the back garden.

26123326833_aa9753ddc4_c.jpg

26726932905_8f0f38be5f_c.jpg

26660795831_74a29a047a_c.jpg

She's not quite right yet and I haven't started on her legs, but it's a long weekend, so I should get her fitted together, especially if the weather stays so changeable.

I want to give her a name, but all the ones I've come up with so far have been vetoed as supposedly sounding like 'Stripper' names... suggestions welcomed (?) - I'd really like the name to start with T ....so T........... the Triceratops.

Later that same day:
Mr P decided that she needed facial surgery as she lacked a top palate and a tongue... he initially suggested using filler but then, after a little thought, decided to use some spare parts from one of his builds.

26125648113_e803099724_c.jpg

26703489626_c2b72ca4f1_c.jpg

You can see it if you look very closely
26703464736_ec31288424_c.jpg
I'm not skilled enough to attempt this and so merely acted as his assistant during the operation.
Since then I got on with giving her a major pedicure, cleaning up the joins on her legs.
  • Like 4

Hmm, exactly how did Mr Stix become so familiar with 'stripper' names, I'd like to know? :lol:

Off to an excellent start there Mrs Stix, and filling will be a useful lesson to learn for any later builds you might do. Sanding and filing too, though they aren't the most enjoyable parts of the hobby, are worth learning how to do properly and you have an extremely competent teacher in Mr Stix.

I look forward to seeing your progress,

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Thanks Stew, good question I have absolutely no idea !!

I need to master the basics if I'm going to make half decent models... and as I said it's quite satisfying to do the filing and sanding for a while.Any suggestions for a suitable name?

Hi Steve - glad you added your name, 'fatfingers' doesn't quite seem right as a salutation...Thanks for the greeting.and your interest. Mr P did make a good job of the tongue! Still working on the colour scheme, several ideas, but slightly sidetracked at the moment by trying to find her a name.

• Like 1

Thanks Stew, good question I have absolutely no idea !!

I need to master the basics if I'm going to make half decent models... and as I said it's quite satisfying to do the filing and sanding for a while.Any suggestions for a suitable name?

I just googled 'Famous British Strippers' to try to find a funny name for you; no doubt that will throw up some interesting choices in my future google search results, and I still didn't find a name...

How about Dora? It's the name of my local Italian chippy in Dundee and sounds nothing like a stripper's name (I imagine) :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Cheers Stew, food for thought - I think that you may need to come up with a more convincing excuse than " I was trying to come up with a name for a triceratops" if anyone ever checks your search history!!! There's a few Dora's - 'the Explorer' , Dora Bryan, Dora O'Briain (oops no, Dara)

• Like 1

Nice work so far (one can see Stix's hand here, great idea about the tongue). How about Tubby the Triceratops for the name? Doesn't sound like a stripper name to me, but then I'm not British... :winkgrin:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

"Tubby" might make her a little self conscious...!! But it is quite apt I suppose. Thanks for the suggestion giemme. I'll add it to Dora on my list of possible names...

I've been called far worse than fatfingers I can tell you!

What about Trixie the Triceratops? Got a nice ring to it don't you think? 😉

Regards

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 1

Hi Mrs P!

Nice to see you're progressing. You're now in that part of the build I like the least: filling, filing and sanding... I can't say I have a sure fire method to deal with it... I just throw a combination of techniques at it and hope for the best: putty diluted in enamel thinner applied with a paintbrush, super-glue, sanding sticks, files, wet&dry...

Whenever possible I try to use the melted plastic that oozes off the seams as a "natural" filler, but some kits or some joins do not "ooze" at all.

I still have to try white glue, which I read could be simple to apply and to remove the excess.

Hope you devise a method that suits you.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi Steve (fatfingers) Thanks - That was my original idea, strangely enough... So Dora, Tubby, Topsy or Trixie. Anyway I've got on and done a little more this morning.