Windows for an Airfix Vanguard

lomasca

Hi All,

I'm working on the re-released Airfix Vanguard (144) in the BEA red square scheme. Im conscious how those plastic strip windows (which I think it comes with) always look a bit cack. Can anyone offer ideas of how to fill in windows a different way? I'd like it to look as pro as possible, as it's going to be a father's day gift.

Ideas welcome.

Chris

Chris,

You could try using Glue N Glaze from Deluxe Materials, I have good results using it to make windows and you can use it for fixing clear parts to models later so it will be useful on future builds. One benefit with this is that it can be done after the paint and decal stages have been completed, so that would save some tricky masking . I have included a link but a Google search should give you a list of retailers. HTH

Glue N Glaze

Yes - I'd go with a some sort of PVA window filler. I've used Micro Krystal Klear in the [past - which was the first of these products. There are a few more alternatives of a similar type around now.

You can also try the superglue method. Apply clear smooth packing tape to the outside of the fuselage (make certain there are no panel lines to lift the tape; gaps would be disastrous) and burnish it down thoroughly. Apply the superglue to the inside of the fuselage, making certain not to get air bubbles in the windows. Let the glue dry and then peel away the tape and clean off any adhesive residue. This method also works with clear casting resin.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Jessica
  • Like 1

Another easy way of creating clear widows especially in 1/144 scale is to use Krystal clear or PVA glue, apply to one side and attach some smooth silicon similar to what you find in cake moulds and tape to the outside using tamiya tape and then turn the model so that the krystal clear sets against the silicon, this way once it is dry it conforms to the shape of the fuselage, I normally let it dry for at least a day, before I remove the silicon, then give it a coat of clear varnish

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

I have used UV resin for filling 1/144 scale airliner windows. After you finish painting, apply a drop of the resin into the window with a tip of toothpick and cure it under the direst sunlight or UV lamp, it will set in a few minutes. UV resin is also useful to create a small clear part such as wing tip nav. light.

Several sorts of UV resin are available from craft shops or Amazon.com, so choose "Clear, Hard" type.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8?url=search-alias%3Darts-crafts&field-keywords=uv+resin&sprefix=uv+resin%2Carts-crafts%2C375

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

• 3 weeks later...

If you are concerned about sagging with PVA type stuff try this. I do one side at a time. The windows being worked on are placed facing up when curing so if there is any sagging or shrinking it will be in the middle of each window. 15 or so minutes after the first application I place another small drop into the middle of each window to give it a flatter look when cured.