USS HALIBUT SSGN/SSN-587

Great news! - thanks for the link.

It looks like there are two versions - the Regulus-firing variant and the later, special ops boat.

I've a;ready done the Regulus one - using the Pit Road resin kit :- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/model_submarines_350_scale.html#Halibut

The question is - should I get another? - to fit in with my current 'Covert Ops' theme (HMS Spartan, USS Seawolf, USS Parche etc).

It is a bit pricey - but it looks nice.....

It can't do any harm just to put in my email address - can it ??

Ken

• Like 3

The Regulus firing version is certainly interesting. But I'll do mine as the Special Ops version for sure. Second batch goes on sale next month some time, then a third batch in June, and then that's it.

Wonder what I can do with the Regulus missile gear?

Dude, that's a really great idea! Think you've also now given me an idea for my Shapeways store too!

Just now got my Halibut in hand, it's REALLY nice. I'll post some pictures.

Edited by Woodstock74

• 2 weeks later...

Ken,

Can I pick your brain about your Tunny conversion? What's the diameter and length of the missile shelter on deck? I've scaled off a drawing in US Submarines since 1945 and roughly, roughly have the length in 1/350 as 32.5 mm. The diameter was a bit of a moving target, that's tentatively 13.5 mm. Now the leading edge of the missile shelter is slightly submerged, and the trailing edge, where the opening is, clears the deck so the door can swing open?

I've just ordered a Guppy IB from Luckymodel though using my Guppy II for reference. I have the modified deck being about 89 mm long from leading to trailing edge?

I just went by eyeball - taking the height of the hangar relative to the height of the sail - then cast around for anything suitable.

The pipette I used is 13mm dia - so pretty close to your scaled up drawing.

The model is packed away - so I can't get at it to measure the length - but again I just went by eye - and the length of a Regulus I (9.8m / 350 = 28mm - approx)

I recessed the hangar into the deck - and then cut a dish-shape semi-circle at the open end to allow the door to open upwards.

350_Tunny_06.jpg

It's all a bit Heath-Robinson and done by guesswork with reference to any internet photos I could find.

Hope this helps - and show us your photos of the build :thumbsup:

Ken

• Like 1