From Russia with Love GB chat

On 03/02/2017 at 1:44 AM, RMP2 said:

Oh go on then, Ill have a pop at this one too. Eduard MiG-21 or Trumpy Su-24 depending on how brave Im feeling at the time. ;)

On 03/02/2017 at 11:04 PM, At Sea said:

I have a very nice Eduard Mig 21 PFM Weekend Edition in the stash.  So count me in!

Great, MiG-21s are always looking great in a scale model.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

On 05/02/2017 at 10:37, zebra said:

Count me in. But what to build? I've narrowed it down to an An-24, An-30, Mi-10, Tu-22 or MiG-21. Plenty of time to decide, but I'm leaning towards the Mi-10.

Don't ask me.  Everyone knows wot I'm gonna say!  :D 

• 2 weeks later...

I think 2/3 of the stash is eligible for this GB, so count me in please. No idea what I'll build, but I suspect there'll be more than one of them, and they'll cover as many different areas as possible.

On 2/6/2017 at 5:54 PM, stevehed said:

I always found the Soviet Warplanes.com site very handy but it seems to have gone awol. Anyone know what's going on?

Regards, Steve 

The domain expired so they've moved the site to a mirror with a new URL. I caught it by accident last week in another BM thread. New version is here: http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

I've post this question in general chat, but might get better exposure here - but has anyone ever ordered from the Russian web store Armoury?

http://armoryhobbyshop.com/index.php?route=common/home

Been looking at their site, and you have choices on what currencies are displayed.  I find if you chose the Russian Ruble, you can save half the price - or am I reading it wrong?

Maybe they have a default currency when doing transactions?

regards,

Jack

----

So looking further into this, the site is actually a webstore in the Ukraine, and I got my currencies confused ... so there are no savings to be made.

Edited by JackG
update

Sorry if its been asked before - 

Does it have to wear russian markings too or just made in russia?  

Might save my ICM 1/48 mig-25RBT with cold war studio nose for this. But fancied the Libyan markings see... 

Based on past discussion, only needs to be made in Russia, markings can be of other nations.  For example,  a few have stated they will be doing Russian aircraft in Finnish markings.

regards,
Jack

• Like 1

On 03/03/2017 at 6:10 AM, JackG said:

Based on past discussion, only needs to be made in Russia, markings can be of other nations.  For example,  a few have stated they will be doing Russian aircraft in Finnish markings.

regards,
Jack

Yes it is all about the made in Russia, so can be operated in any other country.

2 hours ago, Christer A said:

Since my Yak-23 will not fit into the Prototype GB, I figure I'll join here instead. Polish markings on a Soviet made bird should fit in smoothly I hope.

Welcome Christer. I am sure your Yak-23 will look great in Polish markings.

Cheers, Peter

Would anyone happen to be a collector of Soviet insignias, have a bookmarked site, or just simply know the measurements of the collar rank markings, aka as Pilitsi?

soviet+collar+tabs+ranks.jpg

I've an idea to do, or rather convert, a resin bust that evokes this unknown soldier:

unknown-girl-lieutenant-of-the-red-army-   unknown-girl-lieutenant-of-the-red-army.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Jack, is it a question or a statement?

If it is a question what exactly do you want to know?

BTW, "Petlitsa" (Петлица), plural "petlitsy" is written with "e"

The bust us a great idea!

Yes, it's a question regarding the measurement for the collar insignia, because I need to scratch build those. 

s-l1600.jpg

I did find an ebay auction photo of the rank pip, or 'cube' with a ruler beside it, indicating about 1.2mm - so I can use that to calculate the tab size, but it would be great to know the actual dimensions.

regards,

Jack

8 hours ago, JackG said:

Yes, it's a question regarding the measurement for the collar insignia, because I need to scratch build those. 

s-l1600.jpg

I did find an ebay auction photo of the rank pip, or 'cube' with a ruler beside it, indicating about 1.2mm - so I can use that to calculate the tab size, but it would be great to know the actual dimensions.

regards,

Jack

I think you mean 1.2cm, looking at the picture.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks PhantomBigStu for listing this link. Youtube is indeed a "goldmine" for historical information with many great movie clips to enjoy.

With this GB now in the Current Group Build, I hope you all have decided on a kit to build and have all the aftermarket stuff at hand. I myself still have to wait for a delivery from Hannants which I hope will arrive next week.

Please note that there are still two weeks to pass until this GB is commencing, so still some time to decide on a build and join the fun.

Cheers, Peter

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Hi Peter,

I'm not sure if I missed this or was just shy of committing myself, but I've got some suitable kits in the stash that I really ought to get on with... may I join in?

Cheers,

Stew

Welcome aboard Stew. Just get started with your build on or after the 29th and you are in! The same applies for anybody else who likes to join in the fun :thumbsup:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Now to choose a subject, aready have an eduard Mig15, perhaps a KP mig23 would also go nicely. Also think it time to give revells mig21 a go. See what happens not well versed in Russian kits, would like to do something like an su22 or similar but I bet the mistwrkraft kit is something horrible

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1