From Russia with Love GB chat

A quick review of the responses to date confirms two of my hunches: military subjects and the Soviet era are heavily dominating the entries, with post-Soviet times probably better represented than pre-Revolution. I'm still likely to contribute further to that trend with a Great Patriotic War aircraft (almost certainly an Academy Il-2 Shturmovik, though I might -also?- take the plunge and try something more obscure like a Be-2, A-7-3A, MBR-2 or Yak-6) along with the aerosani, but in the interest of bolstering the ranks of civilian subjects, I'll commit to building the Zvezda Tu-134 in Aeroflot colours.

As for subjects from Tsarist times...I am sorely tempted to dust off the Zvezda kit of the cruiser Varyag from my stash, although a fully-detailed ship model would be uncharted waters for me (if you'll pardon the pun).

Was also considering an all-Nieuport 17 "Dogfight Double" from the Civil War using Eduard's old Russian Nie.17 boxing and a Weekend Edition copy, but remembering the rules of the GB, I have no idea if the machines on that decal sheet were Russian- or French-built...

Edited by Sabre_days
  • Like 1

That's an interesting point, especially when Russian legend but American built Varyag is mentioned. 

Do we allow exports / trophies in Russian/Soviet service? Mentioned above "Varyag" and the likes of Lend-Lease or, say, Czech built L-29 that was the principal training jet aircraft type in the USSR ?

I tend to say "yes" but do we have a consensus among the hosts? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sabre_days said:

A quick review of the responses to date confirms two of my hunches: military subjects and the Soviet era are heavily dominating the entries, with post-Soviet times probably better represented than pre-Revolution.

TBH it's pretty inevitable given the kits that are available.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sabre_days said:

A quick review of the responses to date confirms two of my hunches: military subjects and the Soviet era are heavily dominating the entries, with post-Soviet times probably better represented than pre-Revolution.

As SleeperService already stated, it isn't surprising as many mainstream kit are from these eras. But there are many short run kits available of other eras and civil types as well. They demand a bit more work and modelling skills, but the results can be very rewarding. Pin built several of these last year with some great results.

2 hours ago, Sabre_days said:

Was also considering an all-Nieuport 17 "Dogfight Double" from the Civil War using Eduard's old Russian Nie.17 boxing and a Weekend Edition copy, but remembering the rules of the GB, I have no idea if the machines on that decal sheet were Russian- or French-built...

It gets indeed a bit tricky when it comes to license production of types used in the Civil War. If the type was produced under license in the region covered on the map in my first post, it is a valid choice (even if the type was also imported as it is very difficult to say which airframe was imported and which was produced under license).

1 hour ago, Pin said:

That's an interesting point, especially when Russian legend but American built Varyag is mentioned. 

Do we allow exports / trophies in Russian/Soviet service? Mentioned above "Varyag" and the likes of Lend-Lease or, say, Czech built L-29 that was the principal training jet aircraft type in the USSR ?

I tend to say "yes" but do we have a consensus among the hosts? 

As stated earlier, the hardware has to be produced in a country covered on the map in my first post. Therefore war trophies and Lend Lease aircraft are definitely out. So are the Czech built trainers as they are not produced in a country covered on the map (as far as I know).

The emphasis of this GB is the 'Made' and not the 'Use'.

This still leaves tons of stuff to make a model off :D

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 3

On 09/01/2017 at 3:30 PM, badger said:

Hi All

Despite a bit of an absence from the site of late I'm up for this as have lots of lovely Soviet armour in the stash.

Best mate brought me a Modelcollect T-64BV from Christmas that I'm itching to build as it looks very tasty on the sprues.

Ben

I'd be interested to see your opinion on their kits.....Just wish they'd do some WWII stuff that was actually real.  :rolleyes:

On 09/01/2017 at 13:03, Basilisk said:

Done, But I think Enzo got the ending date wrong

I got the ending date wrong on all the GBs...! :wall:     Standard GBs last for 18 weeks.  I will update all the GB threads and the calendar over the weekend.  

On 13/01/2017 at 7:03 AM, Enzo Matrix said:

I got the ending date wrong on all the GBs...! :wall:     Standard GBs last for 18 weeks.  I will update all the GB threads and the calendar over the weekend.  

Thanks for updating the 2017 GB Calendar.

This GB is now running until the 3rd September, so we gained two weeks :yahoo: (I updated the duration on the first page).

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

I admit I had completely forgotten Varyag was built by an American yard...oh, well.

At this point, I'm going to narrow down my firm commitments to the RK-8, the Tu-134 and an Academy 1:72 single-seat Il-2 (my copy of Il-2 Shturmovik: Red Avenger arrived on Friday and I might pick up a few more references before the GB as the only other type-specific Il-2 book already in my library is the Osprey Combat Aircraft volume on Il-2 Guards units). Any additional builds will probably be other 1:72 GPW aircraft, with the emphasis most likely on more obscure types (possibly including prototypes...the Tomashevich Pegas in my stash has a definite appeal) and types already in service by 1941-1942, but at this point I'd prefer to set realistic goals and accomplish them rather than bite off more than I can chew...

Now I need to decide whether I want to research an Il-2 for which the metal fuselage is accurate or just fill the panel lines... That, and how much, if any, interior detail to add to the Tu-134.

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:17 AM, SleeperService said:

TBH it's pretty inevitable given the kits that are available.

Indeed...that was definitely meant as a comment, rather than any kind of complaint or criticism. Though going off the beaten path can make for an interesting challenge...

Edited by Sabre_days
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pin said:

I think I decided on the subject

topol_m.jpg

There's a GB just in the wheels!! But I do soooo love it!!  :wub:

Gosh this GB is going to be hard for me!! The F-111 STGB starts at the same time and I have a big build planned! Plus I'm still having trouble deciding between an S-17M4 or a Su-25, both Ukraine in 1/48th and with fill AM stuff!! Plus I know it's not allowed a MiG-29SMT in Kiwi service!!! On top of that I maybe going away for 12 weeks!!!! :frantic:....and modelling is meant to be a relaxing hobby! :doh: 

• Like 2

Nooooo they're never allowed!!!

May be if I have time (yeah right) I could do one at the same time (am doing a Whiff Kiwi F-16JK at the same time as I'm doing a Polish F-16CJ) as I'm doing the allowed one! :hmmm:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

Gosh this GB is going to be hard for me!! The F-111 STGB starts at the same time and I have a big build planned! Plus I'm still having trouble deciding between an S-17M4 or a Su-25, both Ukraine in 1/48th and with fill AM stuff!! Plus I know it's not allowed a MiG-29SMT in Kiwi service!!! On top of that I maybe going away for 12 weeks!!!! :frantic:....and modelling is meant to be a relaxing hobby! :doh: 

Wow, I don't like to be in your shoes.

On the other hand, I have similar issues as the Made in UK and the Bf 109 GBs are more or less in parallel to this GB :huh: At least I won't be away for 12 weeks :tease:

And after not finishing ONE GB last year, I hope to improve the finishing quota this year - ideally to 100% :unsure: So only one build for me here even though there is tones I would like to make.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk

2 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

Wow, I don't like to be in your shoes.

On the other hand, I have similar issues as the Made in UK and the Bf 109 GBs are more or less in parallel to this GB :huh: At least I won't be away for 12 weeks :tease:

And after not finishing ONE GB last year, I hope to improve the finishing quota this year - ideally to 100% :unsure: So only one build for me here even though there is tones I would like to make.

Cheers, Peter

the best idea is not to look at the build schedule, else you suddenly realise you have no life outside of building models!! Part of me really doesn't care if I don't get the 12 week secondment....but there again it's a once in a life time experience!

• Like 3

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 20:17, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'd be interested to see your opinion on their kits.....Just wish they'd do some WWII stuff that was actually real.  :rolleyes:

Looks pretty good in the box. My mate who bought me the kit has built a few and likes them,  but recommends dry fitting as the instructions are sometimes a bit off.

I'll try and post a few pics when I get a moment!

Edited by badger
spelling

On 16/01/2017 at 2:08 PM, trickyrich said:

the best idea is not to look at the build schedule, else you suddenly realise you have no life outside of building models!! Part of me really doesn't care if I don't get the 12 week secondment....but there again it's a once in a life time experience!

I'm a bit wary of 'once in a life time experiences' the last one I had killed me twice and came too close on one or two other occasions. :bristow:

Model-making is good!

Sneak the prohibited project into the background of your legit build! Censorship must be subverted for the Freedom Loving Peoples of BM Land :hobbyhorse:

• Like 2

On 03/12/2016 at 4:46 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Only just noticed that RobG had put his mark on Objekt 279 several pages before I did, so I'll be building that one in the Prototypes GB and I'll finish off my currently rather battered Zveroboi (from the GPW GB) here.....They were way below 25% complete (before I trashed them) and I'll seriously consider doing all four kits rather than just the two I've already started, possibly with a T-70 & GAZ-67 for the Co. HQ. (mojo depending).  :coolio:

Sgt, feel free to build your 279. I'm probably going for a civil aircraft, and given my appalling GB record, I most likely won't get started on this anyway.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about the Bereznyak-Isayev BI-1

Picked up a very basic kit from a show for a couple of quid....

Edited by Bonhoff
Nothing to see....
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Folks, Can I join with a 'Trumpeter 1/35 Russian KV-1 Model 1939' please? 

Nice choice. No need to join, just start building when the GB commenced on 29th of April.

But I added you to the list anyway as a long list looks cool :D

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Nice choice. No need to join, just start building when the GB commenced on 29th of April.

But I added you to the list anyway as a long list looks cool :D

Cheers, Peter

:thanks: