From Russia with Love GB chat

I am not a Photobucket user, but it has to be very disappointing if all the online pictures are no longer showing :wall: Fortunately there are alternatives out there :D

On a positive note, we reached half time in this GB - 9 weeks behind us and another nine week to go. So still plenty of time for some of you who are finishing a model in no time to join in with the fun.

I update the listing of the models in the first post. There are now a total of 77 builds of which 14 are already in the Gallery! I think this is a tremendous effort from all participating :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

As a host I can see things others can't - and I am not crazy (as far as I know...) So I think an Il-28 in Egyptian markings would be a great choice and an interesting build.

With the GB now in the second half, I was curious to see how many modellers who enlisted in this GB actually commenced a build. Well, only 17 out of the 47 modellers in the list on page one actually started a build (highlighted in green) :(. Fortunately another 40 modellers not on the list on page one commenced builds instead :clap2:.

I found this interesting. It kind of shows that the whole GB voting process is flawed. At the end, modellers participate in a GB then and there if they are interested in the topic.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Peter, that is an interesting ratio of voters to actual numbers building.  I wonder what the ratio is like in the other GB's going on? 

Don't know if it is totally a fault of the voting system, but the way the calendar is set up?  The two themes that could have the widest array of subjects are overlapping each other during this spring/summer period, and not everyone likes to have more than one build on the bench.  Speaking for myself, I've this one started, but still putting my main effort in the 109 STGB and trying to get that one out of the way.  Meanwhile, the Made in Britain II GB is also waiting in the wings, while the sands of time dwindle the amount of time to get all these great GB's done.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Sadly I've been really busy and Friday just gone I had a minor back operation, I've been recovering all weekend, but I do hope to get more done on the IL-20 before the GB ends! :) 

• Like 1

I certainly intend to complete mine. The first half of the build slot happened to coincide with holidays and other events so it's been put off.

One thing I noticed though, is that the initial enthusiasm for a group build can easily wear off between the time it's announced and the actual start. If you have a butterfly mind, like mine, then you may have moved on to another area of interest.

John.

• Like 1

It's going to be close with my build. Got the paint work finished last week and will varnish it today. Here's hoping to get the decals done by the end of next week and then it will be the finishing touches! 

• Like 1

On 10/07/2017 at 0:49 AM, JackG said:

Peter, that is an interesting ratio of voters to actual numbers building.  I wonder what the ratio is like in the other GB's going on?

I would think that the ratio on other GB's would be similar.

On 10/07/2017 at 0:49 AM, JackG said:

Don't know if it is totally a fault of the voting system, but the way the calendar is set up?  The two themes that could have the widest array of subjects are overlapping each other during this spring/summer period, and not everyone likes to have more than one build on the bench.  Speaking for myself, I've this one started, but still putting my main effort in the 109 STGB and trying to get that one out of the way.  Meanwhile, the Made in Britain II GB is also waiting in the wings, while the sands of time dwindle the amount of time to get all these great GB's done.

Yes some time slots are maybe not ideal, but a necessary compromise to accommodate the large amounts of GB's over the year.

On 10/07/2017 at 1:05 AM, Radleigh said:

Sadly I've been really busy and Friday just gone I had a minor back operation, I've been recovering all weekend, but I do hope to get more done on the IL-20 before the GB ends! :) 

Wish you a speedy recovery Radleigh.

On 10/07/2017 at 3:04 AM, johnd said:

One thing I noticed though, is that the initial enthusiasm for a group build can easily wear off between the time it's announced and the actual start. If you have a butterfly mind, like mine, then you may have moved on to another area of interest.

That is certainly true. new kit releases don't help as there can be a sudden urge to build the new kits and all intention from the past are out the window :(

On 10/07/2017 at 7:51 PM, SleeperService said:

I've started but lost a period due to ill-health. Concentrating on the Prototype GB at the moment then this, then hopefully the MiB GB (which I'm still waiting for my order to arrive).

I hope you are back on top of things. I too concentrate currently on finishing a build in the Prototype GB before I continue my Yak-3 here.

On 11/07/2017 at 6:10 PM, Sobby_23 said:

It's going to be close with my build. Got the paint work finished last week and will varnish it today. Here's hoping to get the decals done by the end of next week and then it will be the finishing touches! 

Sounds like doable within 8 weeks.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Another month past since I updated the list in the first post. It was great to see that nine builds got entered during the last month and eight builds had been completed and added to the gallery - well done :clap2:

In case you haven't noticed, there are only four weeks left until this GB comes to an end :(

So the race is on to get some more builds into the gallery.

Cheers, Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Looks to be about a dozen or so participants still on the go - any chance of an extension?  

I'm still at the sculpting stage of my bust, maybe Tuesday I'll be able to start painting.  Then there is still the sorting out how to replicate the hair.   It's going to be close ...

regards,

Jack

19 hours ago, JackG said:

Looks to be about a dozen or so participants still on the go - any chance of an extension?  

I'm still at the sculpting stage of my bust, maybe Tuesday I'll be able to start painting.  Then there is still the sorting out how to replicate the hair.   It's going to be close ...

regards,

Jack

Would certainly be of some help for several builds. Unfortunately this isn't up to me, but I sent a note to Enzo and we will see what can be done.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It seems that an extra week would see quite a few more finished builds. 

This GB will now end on Sunday 10 September.

Thanks Enzo for the one week extension. I think it will result in several models making it now into the gallery. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

I did another update of the first post where all the entries are listed. I could add two late entries :thumbsup: and eight build had been added to the gallery since my last update a month ago. :clap2:

I wish you all an enjoyable last week in this GB with many more models making it into the gallery!

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

It is great to see that lots of progress was made during the last week :clap2:

With only one day to go now, I wish you all that the modelling gods are on your side and nothing unforeseen happens in the last moment - and don't forget to add the pictures of your finished models to the gallery in case you haven't done so already as the gallery will no longer be accessible for postings after tomorrow.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AC_Rus said:

I'm very sorry, but I did not manage to complete the Su-33 by the deadline.
Is it possible to show completion later?

I don't see why not - 

The GB gallery is closed to further replies but there's nothing stopping you from doing a regular 'ready for inspection' thread once its done.