From Russia with Love GB chat

Great to see already three very nicely built and painted models in the Gallery - well done Basuroy and Stew :clap2:

Sgt, better late than never :winkgrin: - welcome aboard.

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

(I just hit the fifty kit threshold IIRC).  :mental:

Is that 50 kits of T-34s?

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

On 19/05/2017 at 9:08 PM, AC_Rus said:

If possible, I will build Yak-3 1/48 (Zvezda kit).

Regards, Alex from Russia.

Good to see that you joined the GB with your Yak-3 build and welcome aboard AC_Rus.

I once more updated the list on the first page and had the pleasure to add another seven new builds. We already have three entries in the Gallery after the 3rd week and lots of terrific progress on most builds.

Keep it happening.

Chers, Peter

• Like 2

15 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I just bought a KP La-5 FN kit. I'm in, if there's still vacancies? V-P

Nice of you to participate in this GB V-P.

It does start to get a bit crowded here, but if everyone moves a bit we should be able to make some room for you. :D

Cheers, Peter

hello gang, if it's not to late to join, I'd like to ask about my ICM 1/144 Tu-144 supersonic airliner. 

Pretty sure it qualifies, but I have started it. All I have done is glue the two fuselage halves together. Is that under the 25 per cent rule? Looking at the amount of work involved I'm pretty sure it is, but just wanted to check before I went in and started.

Also I guess such a GB can never have too many MiG-21s, right?

thanks!

• Like 1

I told myself that I would not join any GBs this year because I always have difficulty finishing them on time, but I have a Trumpeter 1/32 Mig3  somewhere which I believe is an easy build. If I can find it, after two recent major upheavals in my man cave, and I havn't stared too much of it, I might enter it as I havn't seen a Mig 3 on here yet.

John

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

hello gang, if it's not to late to join, I'd like to ask about my ICM 1/144 Tu-144 supersonic airliner. 

Pretty sure it qualifies, but I have started it. All I have done is glue the two fuselage halves together. Is that under the 25 per cent rule? Looking at the amount of work involved I'm pretty sure it is, but just wanted to check before I went in and started.

Also I guess such a GB can never have too many MiG-21s, right?

thanks!

The Tu-144 certainly does qualify! I would say you are well within the 25% mark - so bring it on :thumbsup:

Pleanty of MiG-21s already, but I am sure there is some room for another one :D

20 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I told myself that I would not join any GBs this year because I always have difficulty finishing them on time, but I have a Trumpeter 1/32 Mig3  somewhere which I believe is an easy build. If I can find it, after two recent major upheavals in my man cave, and I havn't stared too much of it, I might enter it as I havn't seen a Mig 3 on here yet.

John

Unfortunately I am in the same boat in regards to NOT finishing builds, so I know how it feels.

But it would be cool to see a Trumpeter MiG-3 being built. I find the MiG-3 a very attractive looking aircraft and it is on my to-do list as well.

You have to make the call to go ahead or not, but it would be great to see you have a go at the MiG-3 here.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Already five weeks passed and lots of builds happening. I added another 6 new entries to the first post, bringing the total to 68 build threads in the GB :clap2:

In addition, we have already eight completed builds in the Gallery, and smashing models they are - Well done :thumbsup:

There is still time to commence new builds, so please bring them on.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Depending on how quickly I get my current build done I may pop along with a build for this, have plenty of Russian jets in the stash so just got to do the hard part and finish the current build first lol 

• Like 1

On 15/06/2017 at 0:11 AM, Synopsis said:

Depending on how quickly I get my current build done I may pop along with a build for this, have plenty of Russian jets in the stash so just got to do the hard part and finish the current build first lol 

It would be nice if you will join with a build.

On 16/06/2017 at 11:45 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Right have had to restart my mig31, as I found it imposibble to get a unform paint job with the revell paint I had chosen, so can anyone recommend a different grey to try (I use brushable acylics)?

Unfortunately I am of not much help to you as I use an airbrush for my painting needs and only use acrylic paint for detail painting.

Acrylic paint is drying very fast which is a problem for painting larger areas. Therefore adding a retarder to the paint should help as it delays the drying of the paint.

I think what we need is a tutorial from Stix how he is doing it as he does achieve some great results with his brush painting.

Cheers, Peter

On 2017-6-18 at 5:42 AM, Basilisk said:

It would be nice if you will join with a build.

Unfortunately I am of not much help to you as I use an airbrush for my painting needs and only use acrylic paint for detail painting.

Acrylic paint is drying very fast which is a problem for painting larger areas. Therefore adding a retarder to the paint should help as it delays the drying of the paint.

I think what we need is a tutorial from Stix how he is doing it as he does achieve some great results with his brush painting.

Cheers, Peter

Decided to go with what I know and order some Xtracrlix ghost grey alongside some other colours i need to restock, though its taken quite a bit to strip the revell stuff off, so I llbe starting the mig25 soon. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

So my MIG-27 build is coming along nicely, will update it's thread tomorrow, but at the moment I am feeling particularly enthused by building again after what was a lengthy ebb so if everything goes to plan I may well look at a second entry to this GB. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Synopsis said:

So my MIG-27 build is coming along nicely, will update it's thread tomorrow, but at the moment I am feeling particularly enthused by building again after what was a lengthy ebb so if everything goes to plan I may well look at a second entry to this GB. 

Great to see that your are having a great time building your MiG-27.

What other kit do you have in mind?

Cheers, Peter

6 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

Great to see that your are having a great time building your MiG-27.

What other kit do you have in mind?

Cheers, Peter

I have a lot to choose from but I have the Modelsvit MiG-21I Analog 144 in the stash and a small etch set for it on its way so I was thinking about doing that as my 2nd entry.

I have a couple Zvezda Mi-24V kits, and would like to participate with one in this group build. I bought a few months ago the Techmod Polish Mi-24D/W decals and allready started a bit. I only glued some of the parts of the interior and weaponry together, so I hope it still quallifies.

It's going to be a green mi-24W from the ISAF delegation of the Polish Army, being the 740.

72154-02.jpg

Copyright Techmod

The inspiration was "this picture", as I like the look of these with that scummy desert weathering, which makes the monotone camo a bit interesting :)

As a sidenote, I just became dad with the birth of a lovely daughter just 8 days ago, so I'm not sure how much time consuming she'll be compared to the time I'll have to actually build this model :)

Greetings from Belgium!

Edited by 128fiddler
removed an unauthorized picture + typo's
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, 128fiddler said:

Copyright for pictures used is Techmod and the second is rather evident :)

As a sidenote, I just became dad withe the birth of a lovely daughter just 8 days ago, so I'm not sure how much time consuming she'll be compared to the time I'll have to actually build this model :)

Congratulations, as someone once said to me, you'll wonder what you done with your time before your daughter was born!

You may want to take the Airliners.net photo down and display it as a link before the mods see it, there's been problems in the past with photos from that site being posted.

Muzz

• Like 1

Hi Muzz,

Thanks for your kind words.

Our little girl is only a few days here so I can't comment on that backed with experience :), however, I really can imagine that it's soo true :D

Took your picture advice and changed it as quick as I read it. The picture was though impressive enough to show wasn't it?

Greetings!

On 23/06/2017 at 11:02 PM, 128fiddler said:

I have a couple Zvezda Mi-24V kits, and would like to participate with one in this group build. I bought a few months ago the Techmod Polish Mi-24D/W decals and allready started a bit. I only glued some of the parts of the interior and weaponry together, so I hope it still quallifies.

That should be fine, so better get cracking! Great colour scheme with lots of potential for weathering.

Congratulation on the birth of your daughter. I think you should be fine for this build as infants sleep a lot in the first couple of month :D

Cheers, Peter

Not sure if anyone knew but I noticed today Russian Akan paints are available on ebay from the U.K. Seller at coastal craft. Worth a look

• Like 1