Made in Britain II (The Sequel) Chat

Shermaniac

Hope the Gloster Gladiator counts?!  Have ordered a starter kit from Tinternet as all my stuff is still packed from the house move & man cave inaccessible. Have a kitchen pass for the table this weekend. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Hope the Gloster Gladiator counts?!  Have ordered a starter kit from Tinternet as all my stuff is still packed from the house move & man cave inaccessible. Have a kitchen pass for the table this weekend. 

Glad that you have managed to get in on this one buddy and because it runs through to Sept, you can dip in and out as required. I have one of these to make, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes together.

• Like 1

Guys, my local shop had sold out of the Airfix Shack, was going to do it with AM decals in an all over Sea Grey scheme, however now I have to buy one online I might as well buy the revell one, aside from being cheaper is there any reason why I should pick the revell AEW3 over the airfix MR2? 

Also Still not had a ruling on whether my partially built spit and hurri do fit the <25% @Col. @Shermaniac

0813F99A-6725-487D-8FFA-E51ADBBA27BF_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Just been chucking some failed builds that received even more damage in the loft,my stash is now down to seven kit's,among them

the big Revell Hunter with it's £10 sale sticker from modelzone's demise,I might just stick it in this GB just to get the damn thing built!

• Like 4

I intended to participate with an 1/48 Airfix Defiant build. But as all my other builds are progressing slower than hoped for, I decided to give it a miss.

I am sure there will be another opportunity next year as sequels are rather popular. :winkgrin:

Cheers, Peter

I'll join, but no idea what with yet. There are loads of British options in my stash. But I think I'll join later in the build - will have to see how my builds in the DH and From Russia With Love group builds progress before I decide whether it's going to be something quick or something more substantial - so plenty of time to narrow it down.

• Like 1

On 2017-5-14 at 6:00 PM, Mjwomack said:

How British does it have to be? I'd like to be in with the Airfix Mini-Cooper S, but can see the argument that it's a BMW and so German really? So, can I or can't I?

Many thanks

Michael

The are Made in Britain so a fine subject for this GB :) 

On 2017-5-14 at 6:08 PM, nimrod54 said:

Some of you may remember that in MiB I, I made a model of City of Truro and that at the same time I had purchased Dapol's Evening Star kit, my intention being that I would try and make that too.

Whilst I have since made a start on the kit it has been languishing on the shelf for a good few months now. The work done was the assembly of the boiler halves and the lower frame and I wondered whether this would be deemed as less than 25% complete, therefore allowing me to add it as my second entry for this GB.

I would carry out similar detail work to that done on City of Truro, so there would still be plenty to do. I have included a couple of shots of things as they stand.

Kit parts.

DSC01998_zps4o85uzgj.jpg

Boiler and Lower Frame assembled.

DSC01999_zps3bfwjswj.jpg

I hope that this will be acceptable, but if not I fully understand.

Looks to me like there's plenty work left to do on this one so by all means please go ahead with it :thumbsup: 

On 2017-5-16 at 3:07 PM, Hockeyboy76 said:

A Gloster Gladiator certainly does count being designed and built in Britain so go for it :) 

On 2017-5-17 at 0:24 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Guys, my local shop had sold out of the Airfix Shack, was going to do it with AM decals in an all over Sea Grey scheme, however now I have to buy one online I might as well buy the revell one, aside from being cheaper is there any reason why I should pick the revell AEW3 over the airfix MR2? 

Also Still not had a ruling on whether my partially built spit and hurri do fit the <25% @Col. @Shermaniac

0813F99A-6725-487D-8FFA-E51ADBBA27BF_zps

Hmm, seems there's opinions both for and against either of the Shack kits, guess it all comes down to individual taste in the end.

The Spitfire and Hurricane, however, I'd say are flying pretty close to the 25% mark depending how much work you are intending to do with the interiors yet. Anything else suitable in the stash at the moment?

@Col. thanks for the ruling, don't intend to do anything but what the instructions call for re the interiors so perhaps that is 25% already, I do have the Shackleton to start (went with the Revell) and also an airfix javelin in the stash i was saving for this GB so perhaps I'll amend the merlin thread to that 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

@Col. thanks for the ruling, don't intend to do anything but what the instructions call for re the interiors so perhaps that is 25% already, I do have the Shackleton to start (went with the Revell) and also an airfix javelin in the stash i was saving for this GB so perhaps I'll amend the merlin thread to that 

It's a pity your Hurricane and Spitfire were so far on as the former has always been one of my favourite aircraft but sure another one will appear soon enough. In the meantime I'm looking forward to seeing your Shackleton taking shape and if you add a Javelin after that I'll certainly be happy to see it as well :D 

Hi! Just popping in to say I'll join this group after I've Finnished some Bf 109:s. I'll stick to my original plan and build the recent tool 72nd scale Typhoon 1b. I have the starter set edition with six tiny pots of paint included :hmmm:

But, see you later! Best regards, V-P

Edit: Forgot to mention the kit is by Airfix... If someone was in doubt :rofl:

• Like 1

Hi, I'd like to join this GB and have a go at the Airfix 1/48 Defiant, if that's OK? Subject eminently qualifies, at any rate! Nowt fancy, 95% out of the box, planning to use the 264 Sqn markings (BoB day fighter).

• Like 1

Ooh. Not sure if I have signed up for this one without looking. So if not can Join in the fun please? Shame I am 3/4 way through a Trumpy Hawker Sea Fury, but am sure I can find something else in my stash.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So what with the De Havilland GB drawing to an end I have been considering my options for this GB. I browsed my stash and with many kits that fit the bill it was going to be tough to choose one. Last years entry was the 1/48 Airfix Javelin,

I entered the 1/48 Airfix Sea Vixen into the DH GB and I built a 1/48 Airfix Lightning inbetween. After taking on big aircraft in a big scale I fancied something small and fairly easy to build to get me started, a nice quick refreshing build.

I finally settled on the new 1/72 Jet Provost T.3. I decided it would be presented in flight, on a pole. I was starting to imagine the build, and was desperate to get started! Only one thing to do before I began, photograph the parts, box, instructions and...decals. Where are the decals?! Ahh Airfix quality control strikes again, no blooming decals!! 

This is build may be on hold for a while. Back to the stash I go. Pity, I really wanted to build that JP!

On 2017-5-21 at 8:33 PM, vppelt68 said:

Hi! Just popping in to say I'll join this group after I've Finnished some Bf 109:s. I'll stick to my original plan and build the recent tool 72nd scale Typhoon 1b. I have the starter set edition with six tiny pots of paint included :hmmm:

But, see you later! Best regards, V-P

Edit: Forgot to mention the kit is by Airfix... If someone was in doubt :rofl:

A nice kit as well by all accounts and a cracking subject. Much nicer than those nasty 109s :lol: 

On 2017-5-24 at 0:09 AM, amblypygid said:

Hi, I'd like to join this GB and have a go at the Airfix 1/48 Defiant, if that's OK? Subject eminently qualifies, at any rate! Nowt fancy, 95% out of the box, planning to use the 264 Sqn markings (BoB day fighter).

By all means yes please. The Defiant always seemed the last stop in an aviation side street of development which came to a dead end so is a worthy subject matter.

On 2017-5-24 at 1:28 PM, Brad said:

Hmm, my 1/350 Battleship Prince of Wales is sitting ontop of my bookcase looking at me...

Sure it'll get a better view of you from your bench ;) 

On 2017-5-27 at 10:13 PM, Paul J said:

Ooh. Not sure if I have signed up for this one without looking. So if not can Join in the fun please? Shame I am 3/4 way through a Trumpy Hawker Sea Fury, but am sure I can find something else in my stash.

Please feel free to get stuck in as soon as your Sea Fury is done. Pity it's too far on to be included.

On 2017-6-6 at 10:19 PM, DAG058 said:

So what with the De Havilland GB drawing to an end I have been considering my options for this GB. I browsed my stash and with many kits that fit the bill it was going to be tough to choose one. Last years entry was the 1/48 Airfix Javelin,

I entered the 1/48 Airfix Sea Vixen into the DH GB and I built a 1/48 Airfix Lightning inbetween. After taking on big aircraft in a big scale I fancied something small and fairly easy to build to get me started, a nice quick refreshing build.

I finally settled on the new 1/72 Jet Provost T.3. I decided it would be presented in flight, on a pole. I was starting to imagine the build, and was desperate to get started! Only one thing to do before I began, photograph the parts, box, instructions and...decals. Where are the decals?! Ahh Airfix quality control strikes again, no blooming decals!! 

This is build may be on hold for a while. Back to the stash I go. Pity, I really wanted to build that JP!

Aww :( Hope you get some decals sorted for this one soon either from Airfix or perhaps an aftermarket sheet. In the meantime have you found any other suitable candidates in the stash?

On 2017-6-11 at 0:45 PM, Dermo245 said:

Just to check, does an American-built Harrier e.g. AV-8A or B model qualify?

No worries if not!

Cheers,

Dermot

An AV-8A does qualify due to its British design. The AV-8B, however, does not to due being a consortium project unfortunately as the lads have said below :) 

22 hours ago, bull-nut said:

I think that, as the AV-8A looks pretty much the same as an RAF GR1, it would qualify. I think that the AV-8B with the larger, US designed wing may not.

Happy to be corrected however.

21 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

AV-8A/C Fine, designed and built in Britain

AV-8B &GR5/7/9  Nope massively redesigned MD and was built at least in part in the US

• Like 1

I have an Airfix 1/72 Spitfire PRXIX I started at the weekend, I was going to complete in Swedish markings, if it qualifies for the GB I may as well start a WIP and tag along with everyone else

• Like 1

Well the Spitfires almost done, I have started a MiG-27 for the Russian GB but it is just going to be a quick build whilst I am waiting for some etch to arrive for my next build for my second entry in to this GB which is going to be a Mexican Vampire in 1/72 all being well. 

• 2 weeks later...