Colourful Phantoms

F4s-1_zpsyst8bg8u.jpg

Only taken a year but finally got around to photographing my recent builds. Most are run of the mill stuff that isn't worth posting but a few I quite like. These two were straight from the box builds though I elected to spray the tiger stripes rather that use the awful kit decals and the results came out quite well. The red on the other phantom was a citadel miniatures red as none of my military colors were bright enough.

F4s-2_zpsrs73bt2g.jpg

F4s-3_zpskaisfeli.jpg

F4s-5_zpsozikzch4.jpg

F4s-4_zpszitrgslu.jpg

F4s-6_zpsaj6epw40.jpg

F4s-7_zpsub0bddft.jpg

F4s-8_zpsdadmybyy.jpg

F4s-9_zpsn0h46kmz.jpg

F4s-10_zpsbwoaa41w.jpg

F4s-11_zpsg2vfcrvj.jpg

Any comments or suggestions welcome

• Like 46

Very nicely done and the photography looks very professional too.

I'm making the red/black one at the moment. The main colours are on but I'm trying to decide whether to have a go at painting the 'tulip' around the nose or to use the decals, I'm guessing you have painted it on your one.

Duncan B

Any comments or suggestions welcome

A suggestion: next time you decide to build something so interesting as a colourful F-4, please do a WIP so that we can give you dozens and dozens of "likes" rather than just one. Some of us like Phantoms.

• Like 3

A suggestion: next time you decide to build something so interesting as a colourful F-4, please do a WIP so that we can give you dozens and dozens of "likes" rather than just one. Some of us like Phantoms.

I couldn't agree more. Can I please ask how did you do the masking for the Tiger Meet?

Ciao

Thanks for the positive comments.

Very nicely done and the photography looks very professional too.

I'm making the red/black one at the moment. The main colours are on but I'm trying to decide whether to have a go at painting the 'tulip' around the nose or to use the decals, I'm guessing you have painted it on your one.

Duncan B

The answer to this is actually both!. After test fitting a photocopy of the decal I decided that it didn't seem to fit at all. I therefore sprayed the thick white band and used the decal with the white band cut off for the triangles. Cutting the white band off meant I could bend the remainder of the decal around fine. All the triangle bits on the phantom were too small and fiddly to mask and spray hence my need to find an exact red match for the decals.

I couldn't agree more. Can I please ask how did you do the masking for the Tiger Meet?

Ciao

I've never really though about posting in the wip forum. I think i'd need to be more disciplined to document the builds. The tiger stripes were a bit of a problem. I had intended to use the kit decals and thus sprayed the model black in preparation, but after discovering how un-usable they were I went to plan B. This involved photocopying the decal sheet, cutting out the black stripes and prit-sticking them onto masking tape. These were then applied to the model and after masking the rest of the black areas the yellow was sprayed over a white primer coat.

I developed this technique a few years ago when building model cars and did a write up in a build I described on a site I experimented with:

https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymodeler/model-reports/paintingthe124thwavebenettonb193b1994testcar

Photocopying decal sheets is a very useful way of ensuring any related making you need to do will match with the decals once painted.

• Like 4

Your approach to the nose decals is almost exactly how I was planning on doing it, I've already sprayed the wide white band and will separate the individual triangular decals for positioning.

Duncan B

I developed this technique a few years ago when building model cars and did a write up in a build I described on a site I experimented with:

https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymodeler/model-reports/paintingthe124thwavebenettonb193b1994testcar

Photocopying decal sheets is a very useful way of ensuring any related making you need to do will match with the decals once painted.

Thank you very much for that, very interesting method :thumbsup:

Ciao

There needs to be a word other than 'masking' to describe what has happened here.

Works of art, very impressive!

• Like 1