Emperor’s Teddy Bears

le wombat agile

I have evidence of at least 3 planes equipped with this kind of device apt to prevent the bad luck.

The stuffed bear was fastened to the wing struts and faced bravely the air.

No.1 Aviatik Berg D.I, Flik 9J , serial number 101.12, white 19, pilot Ludwig Purm

References:

Aviatik D.I & D.II – J. Zahàlka, P.A. Tesar, Z. Skolil – JAPO

No. 2 Phoenix D.II of Flik 9J, Ospedaletto, estate/autunno 1918, serial number unknown, pilot Hauptmann Ludwig Purm

References:

K.u.K. Luftfahrtruppe Photo Album 1914-1918 volume 1 - P.A. Tesar, REVI

Aviatik D.I & D.II – J. Zahàlka, P.A. Tesar, S. Tyrlik – JAPO

No.3 Oeffag Albatros D.III, Flik 55J, serial number 153.27, pilot Oberleutnant Georg Kenzian von Kenzianshausen

References:

Albatros D.I & D.II Oeffag – P.A. Tesar – JAPO

Now I’ like to know if there are other planes in the K.u.K. Luftfahrtruppe or in other air forces during WWI with teddy bears or other good luck charm. Surely there is a well known Oeffag Albatros with a horse shoe in the same position but someone has other evidences?

I have pictures and profiles for the examples no. 2 and 3 but I have no picture of the number 1 even if in the books I read a picture is mentioned.

For the 101.12 I have only a profile on the very old book Sondermarkierungen der K.u.K. Jagdflugzeuge 1916-1918 of W. Schroeder and B. Tötschinger. In the profile there is no bear and also the camouflage scheme is difficult to identify?

Anybody can help me?

Thank you in advance

Ezio