AFV Club M88A1 Bergpanzer Recovery Vehicle (AF35008)

Just be careful of the headlight guards, my attempt at cutting them out

destroyed them. The later boxings came with PE guards as they were almost impossible to

cut off the sprue with them breaking.

Looking forward to seeing this one being build, my kit is still half finished in the box :(

Dan

• Like 1

Ooooooo lovely!

Looking forward to seeing this take shape.

Regards

Steve

Me too!

Just be careful of the headlight guards, my attempt at cutting them out

destroyed them. The later boxings came with PE guards as they were almost impossible to

cut off the sprue with them breaking.

Looking forward to seeing this one being build, my kit is still half finished in the box :(

Dan

I've done one of these before Dads so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise and hopefully will use the AFV Club M48 Indy set on it (if I can find it)

I very nearly bought this model for the GB. I have a bit of a soft spot for Armoured Recovery Vehicles. I will be following this one all the way. Are you modelling it as a Bundeswehr vehicle?

I was shopping specifically for this GB project and the MK Show was very much a 1980's desert for kits. I found this one on Nigel Savages stand (Parabellum) and couldn't resist!

Here we go then!

Previously released some 25 or so years ago this splendid model (it was back then) is still a fairly crisp mould.
But, many parts do have quite a bit of flash plastic to clean up and half my time this evening has gone to this task.
There has also been some mold drifting with some elements (the Jib) being off-register and needing serious clean-up.

Considering the age of this kit there are 2 large parts, 6 sprues a PE fret, one of poly-caps and a length of cord

1802803_orig.jpg

Just the 2 main top and bottom parts here and Yes, they do still fit together

The main suspension is installed on both sides - every part needed some clean-up

4944474_orig.jpg

Quite a bit of fettling on this rear section and the bands are to ensure it dries squarely

9247131_orig.jpg

Cleaning up the Jib has taken almost a complete hour but I think I've cracked it

9784613_orig.jpg

No breakages so-far

Next Time: More Jib works

• Like 6

A very unique project. I'll be following this closely.

The jib cleans up well. Does the kit come with parts for the mechanical components or just the framework?

There are no internal components except an anchor point for the cables. There is an interior set available, not sure if it was by Hobby Fan or Legend but, I will not be using them. This is an OTB build for me.

And for tonights delight

Jib mounted, Spade temporarily attached, Hausers threaded (I have a knot in the thin one where I cut it by mistake!)

9831107_orig.jpg

Started adding the fittings: Jib Lock, Acetylene Bottle, Spare Drive Sprocket, Anchor Blocks etc

461601_orig.jpg

Doesn't look like he's done much does it?

You're right, it doesn't but, there's lots of knit-picking clean-up!

Next Time: More of the same I'm afraid

• Like 2

All buttoned-up!

Most of the rear fittings are now attached, just the parts that need painting before fitting are next

918464_orig.jpg

I've now started on the forward fittings having glued the glacis plate in place.

Still plenty to do here yet

5106036_orig.jpg

Upper & Lower Hull all buttoned-up and heavily clamped to ensure a secure bond - there are no locating pins for this bit!

4558663_orig.jpg

Almost ready for paint

Next Time: Front fittings and Accessories

• Like 2

Are we taking bets on how many of those foot-rungs will still be in place on the jib at the end of the build?

Must have been a real challenge to tidy up, Shermaniac. Nicely done :)

Cliff

• Like 1