General quality of 1/72 AZ Model kit

WildeSau75

Hi guys,

I got the 1/72 Bf-109 G6 of AZ Model and must say I am impressed by this kit. Very nice details, clear parts. Cannot say something about how the fitting is - the parts are still on the sprue.

It's the first AZ Model I got and I am wondering if their other 1/72 kits (i.e. their Spitfire and Hurricane kits) are up to the same level. Can anybody say something about that?

TIA.

Cheers,

Michael

I've started their Spitfire XVI and I'm impressed with the way they cater for detail differences.

See here when I was part way through adding lumps and bumps on the wing.

429B98E5-E202-465E-9EFA-99484F9B0D9B_zps

There's a lack of locating holes but that is an advantage, allowing for some 'fine tuning'.

You also get lots of bits for your spates box. The XVI kit comes with a high back fuselage, Mk.I-V tailplane and rounded rudder, two lots of exhausts, two types of wheel and a fistful of spare markings on the transfer sheet. All for a tenner from Hannants.

Bargain.

Trevor

• Like 5

Michael, not all of their 1:72 kits are at the level of the 109G. The ones that are, are usually (but not always) designated "HQ" or "HQT." It's best to do your research and ask about any specific kits if you have questions.

The 1:72 Spitfire Mk. IX and XVI kits are HQT, and are very nice, as Trevor notes above. For the earlier marks (I and II) of the Spitfire, the new 1:72 Kovozávody Prostejov kits (part of AZ) are worth a look. I personally think the 1:72 Legato Hurricane IIC is one of the nicest ones available. Legato is also part of AZ.

This is not to say that the other 1:72 AZ kits are bad, they're usually quite nice but they are short run kits. You'll put more work into them than you would for Tamiya.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

I currently have the AZ/Legato Kittyhawk/P-40 and the Spitfire Mk.I (or PR.IG in my case, but it's the same kit) on my desk in different states of completion. These are kits from the older short-run generation which need a lot of filler. Still, I am enjoying them. The accuracy is good as far as I can judge and the panel lines are nicely engraved (not Airfix-style soft and wide trenches).

AZ obviously made a huge step forward with their newer kits. I have the Spitfire IX in my stash and it looks in no way like a short-run kit any more. But I haven't started it yet, so I can't comment on fit and the like.

The AZ Spitfire V/VI and VII/VIII still seem to belong to the old generation while the IX is new. Now there is also a new technology Spitfire I/V available from the same stable and released under the KP label (I think the brand strategy of the Legato/AZ/KP family is a bit confusing)

• Like 2

Hi Trevor, thanks for your reply. Indeed that Spitfire wing looks up to the level of their Me-109G.

Hope to see that one soon in RFI section!

Cheers,

Michael

I've started their Spitfire XVI and I'm impressed with the way they cater for detail differences.

See here when I was part way through adding lumps and bumps on the wing.429B98E5-E202-465E-9EFA-99484F9B0D9B_zps

There's a lack of locating holes but that is an advantage, allowing for some 'fine tuning'.

You also get lots of bits for your spates box. The XVI kit comes with a high back fuselage, Mk.I-V tailplane and rounded rudder, two lots of exhausts, two types of wheel and a fistful of spare markings on the transfer sheet. All for a tenner from Hannants.

Bargain.

Trevor

• Like 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks - that helps. I am impressed by their large no. of different sub types - i.e. of their Spitfires and their Hurricanes.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael, not all of their 1:72 kits are at the level of the 109G. The ones that are, are usually (but not always) designated "HQ" or "HQT." It's best to do your research and ask about any specific kits if you have questions.

The 1:72 Spitfire Mk. IX and XVI kits are HQT, and are very nice, as Trevor notes above. For the earlier marks (I and II) of the Spitfire, the new 1:72 Kovozávody Prostejov kits (part of AZ) are worth a look. I personally think the 1:72 Legato Hurricane IIC is one of the nicest ones available. Legato is also part of AZ.

This is not to say that the other 1:72 AZ kits are bad, they're usually quite nice but they are short run kits. You'll put more work into them than you would for Tamiya.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks mate - hope to see your completed kits soon here at BM.

Their Me-109G is really up to the level of a new Airfix kit - if not beyond. At least it looks that way in the box.

Cheers,

Michael

I currently have the AZ/Legato Kittyhawk/P-40 and the Spitfire Mk.I (or PR.IG in my case, but it's the same kit) on my desk in different states of completion. These are kits from the older short-run generation which need a lot of filler. Still, I am enjoying them. The accuracy is good as far as I can judge and the panel lines are nicely engraved (not Airfix-style soft and wide trenches).

AZ obviously made a huge step forward with their newer kits. I have the Spitfire IX in my stash and it looks in no way like a short-run kit any more. But I haven't started it yet, so I can't comment on fit and the like.

The AZ Spitfire V/VI and VII/VIII still seem to belong to the old generation while the IX is new. Now there is also a new technology Spitfire I/V available from the same stable and released under the KP label (I think the brand strategy of the Legato/AZ/KP family is a bit confusing)

I always was under the impression that even the new Airfix Bf109G actually belongs into the trashcan as it is even 2 levels worse than the Italeri 109G. Which really means BAD. Not even the decals are usable as they are incorrect ( at least the italian markings are completely wrong )

I got an small box Heller 109G a few weeks ago on Ebay. Imagine my expression when I opened the box and found the 50's Airfix kit in there. :/

so, I wonder how good are the AZ actually? How well do they fit anyway. I got a bunch of them, but have not tried one as I still got a LOT of Finemolds, Hasegawas ( old and new ), Heller (all versions except F ) and go thru them first.

As far as I know you love or hate them, nothing in between. Anyone who actually build one knows better. Please give me some input.

I've built a couple of the AZ Bf109s and while they aren't as good as the Finemolds 109 in my opinion they are passable. The fit of some parts is a bit tricky but nothing that a competent modeller shouldn't be put off by. The big plus is that they come with lots of optional parts and have some nice decal options, on the down side the shape of the front end of the G6/14 kits looks a little thin to me and the G10 engine side cowls were a bit concave when viewed from the front.

Duncan B

I've built a couple of the AZ Bf109s and while they aren't as good as the Finemolds 109 in my opinion they are passable. The fit of some parts is a bit tricky but nothing that a competent modeller shouldn't be put off by. The big plus is that they come with lots of optional parts and have some nice decal options, on the down side the shape of the front end of the G6/14 kits looks a little thin to me and the G10 engine side cowls were a bit concave when viewed from the front.

Duncan B

I wsa thinking about getting all my tall tail 109G6/14 from AZ and the 109G10 and K4 from Finemolds. But my last Japan trip was not so great when it came to them. I got mostly G2s.

As long as I do not have to use a ton of putty and have to trim a lot I am fine. I heard about the nose shape problem, but I will survive that one.

Edited by Abakan
  • Like 1

I always was under the impression that even the new Airfix Bf109G actually belongs into the trashcan as it is even 2 levels worse than the Italeri 109G. Which really means BAD. Not even the decals are usable as they are incorrect ( at least the italian markings are completely wrong )

I got an small box Heller 109G a few weeks ago on Ebay. Imagine my expression when I opened the box and found the 50's Airfix kit in there. :/

so, I wonder how good are the AZ actually? How well do they fit anyway. I got a bunch of them, but have not tried one as I still got a LOT of Finemolds, Hasegawas ( old and new ), Heller (all versions except F ) and go thru them first.

As far as I know you love or hate them, nothing in between. Anyone who actually build one knows better. Please give me some input.

The Airfix 109G is a decent kit, but a lousy 109. It's also a very early Hornby issue (came out with the IXc, which is better only because it's better shaped) and not nearly comparable to the later Airfix kits. Their 109E for example is rather good.

I think for me the AZ Model spitfires is a dream because I can build any version from mk1 early through to at least mk IX

The only type missing ith se Mk.Vc which Sword make an excellent version of or PR Mk.IV trop also available from Sword.

All the AZ spits except Mk IX are typical short run which meand alot of work is needed with Grinding and scraping to get rid of mold seams and scuffs but to me it is worth it.

I replaces the exhausts and some wheels with better resin parts but the rest is really great parts,

As stated above you get tons of extra parts for the sparebox from the AZ kits.

Biggest advantage over Airfix is that AZ has less extreme panellines and not that Manga airplane feeling the newer Airfix kit have.