Airfix 1:24 Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vb

Thought I would give this model a go as it's been in my stash for what seems an eternity. I did consider putting it into the Spitfire group build but I fear it will not be completed in time for the deadline. An old kit I know, but to be honest I really don't think it's that bad and certainly doesn't deserve the criticism it receives considering its age. It's definitely worth the 20 quid I paid for it anyway.

IMG_6144_zpsmuv2hkum.jpg

IMG_6127_zpsseawa7qe.jpg

Edited by Bodmin
  • Like 3

A great choice. I've got this in the stash as well, along with some Grey Matter, Eduard and Airscale aftermarket bits. Looking forward to seeing you progress with this.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 2

First up the engine. Fitting the motor required a little modding as the bits would have been designed for the original motor released by Airfix. Nothing too drastic required, but packed it with putty just to be sure it didn't slip.

IMG_6132_zpsrrg8vksy.jpg

IMG_6129_zpsfpdjdgfu.jpg

IMG_6135_zpscu7pbyqn.jpg

IMG_6133_zpscpuubnmm.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good. I don't think I've seen one of these built with the electric motor fitted. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

I have this in the stash as well so I'll follow along too, if you don't mind.

By all means do. Patience is the key with this kit I think. Plenty of flash and not so great fitting parts. But looking at past builds it seems to look quite nice when done.

• Like 2

Steady she goes. Instrument panel and controls assembled, just the dials to insert post painting. Also seat assembled and painted. I'm having the pilot sit in this so I'm not too worried about the imperfections, I'm sure there will be plenty more as this build progresses.

IMG_6149_zpskjgrhdk4.jpg

IMG_6151_zpso1j290ex.jpg

• Like 3

Nice start Bodmin, it's a spitfire what's not to like. You should get this built in a week now you a gentleman of leisure. You may need some chocks when that merlin revs up.

• Like 1

Nice start Bodmin, it's a spitfire what's not to like. You should get this built in a week now you a gentleman of leisure. You may need some chocks when that merlin revs up.

Don't know where you get this "Gentleman of leisure" from mate. I certainly do have a little more time on my hands and I'd get a little more done if the weather would pick up. My loft is like a ruddy igloo!!

• Like 2

Don't know where you get this "Gentleman of leisure" from mate. I certainly do have a little more time on my hands and I'd get a little more done if the weather would pick up. My loft is like a ruddy igloo!!

I thought everybody put their feet up once they retired? Hope the new jobs going well. With the loft try star jumps, they always keep me warm. I've got a spare softy suit in the garage.

• Like 2

Bah, just noticed there's no decals for the instrument panel...that sucks!!!

Have you considered Airscale cockpit decals? They do an instrument panel for just about all the Airfix 1/24 range. The Spitfire Mk.V panel is less than a fiver.

Hth,

Tom.

• Like 1

Hi

Great choice, This is a lovely kit and builds up well and IMO looks better than the trumpeter kit what with all the surface detail etc. There are not meant to be any decals for the dials. If I remember correctly, I think you dry brush the dials with some white paint to bring out the detail and looks quite effective when complete.

Keep up the good work

Chris

• Like 1

Have you considered Airscale cockpit decals? They do an instrument panel for just about all the Airfix 1/24 range. The Spitfire Mk.V panel is less than a fiver.

Hth,

Tom.

Hi

Great choice, This is a lovely kit and builds up well and IMO looks better than the trumpeter kit what with all the surface detail etc. There are not meant to be any decals for the dials. If I remember correctly, I think you dry brush the dials with some white paint to bring out the detail and looks quite effective when complete.

Keep up the good work

Chris

Cheers for the advice there guys.

I didn't realise that there is some slight raised detail on the clear instrument sprue. I shall attempt to take on Chris' advice and dry brush the detail in white and then perhaps paint the rear black to bring it out.

If this build goes well and I decide to do another one I'll definitely go for some after market cockpit detail.

Edited by Bodmin
  • Like 1

Yeah the engine isn't a great fit. I've test fitted it a few times and the engine mount just doesn't sit right. I've done away with it and put in a straight bar instead. I've ben biting my tongue all week lol

Yeah the engine isn't a great fit. I've test fitted it a few times and the engine mount just doesn't sit right. I've done away with it and put in a straight bar instead. I've ben biting my tongue all week yeah the engine mount just don't fit properly at all and is so thin in laces you have to be careful not to break it.

yeah the engine mount is just wrong and is so thin in places it breaks very easily, most of the build goes together ok with a little bit of sanding and filler. the 2 fuselage halves can be a bit temperamental but i found a good set of clamps to be very useful.

Edited by Bigjimmyauk
  • Like 1

Well I took the plunge and after several dry fits glued the engine into one side of the fuselage. I only had two hard points to glue it to as I've done away with the engine mount as it wouldn't sit straight let alone fit properly, and replaced it with a length of sprue which only serves as cosmetic at best. My concern now is that I am going to get the exhausts to fit properly in between the stringers.

IMG_6156_zpsjkfcnlkh.jpg

IMG_6155_zpsfihp19yi.jpg

The instrument console turned out better than I expected using the panel supplied. I maybe overdid the colours, but hey hoe :pilot: . Just the masking to remove on the gun sight and compass later on.

IMG_6157_zpsphmuwwhg.jpg

• Like 3

Not sure if this helps at all.

Instrument Panel for a Seafire III that I made for the Cave wall. Seafire III was basically a navalised MKV so apart from the Arrester Hook warning light it should be the same. Items missing are the flap lever Top left beside Nav Lights switch and the T handle for the oxygen supply which are the two dials together left top. Colours are right though.. Oh scale is 1:1..

image_zpsbq7fwyab.jpeg

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 1

This is coming on well and you now have me thinking maybe I should go and make a purchase...

Just one observation. The wires for the motor are quite chunky - how are you going to hide them and where will you put the batteries? Is the aeroplane going to be mounted permanently on a base? If so could you run thin wires down the undercarriage legs (disguised as brake lines maybe) and through the tyres into the base (batteries under the base)? I think it would be well worth planning ahead...

I am wondering also how difficult it would be to convert this kit to a Seafire. Maybe just a MkII to avoid the wing folding... I think the biggest issue would be the arrestor housing..

• Like 1

With regards the wiring problem, a trolley acc could be simply scratch built with possibly watch batteries installed and then attached to the model via the ground power point.

Just a thought.

• Like 1