Polikarpov I-16 flown by Frank Tinker

wally7506

I've done what I could looking for info on this plane and have more questions than when I first started.

As I understand it Frank Tinker flew an I-16 type 5 for a majority of his kills which were all gained in 1937.

The code for that I-16 is listed as CM-023, however no picture of that airplane (revealing the code) exists.

So, any depiction of said I-16 is conjecture.

However, some have made what appear to be logical assumptions:

I-16 type 5 (based on the time frame AND a picture of Tinker in the cockpit of an I-16 with the type 5 canopy)

Black cowl: as did other Republican I-16s from the period and I have read that pilots left the canopy slid forward.

then things get sketchy (and here are my questions):

Fuselage codes???? Other I-16s from the summer of 1937 seem to show the individual number on the RUDDER. Examples include: 1, 9, 33, 35, 37, and 61

Could -023 have simply been 23 but on the rudder? -- or did I miss something here --

1) When did the practice switch from rudder numbers to fuselage CM-xxx codes?

2) And, if they were using the CM-xxx codes in July 1937, was the CM- BLACK and the 023 WHITE as I have seen in so many drawings and paintings?

3) And, lastly, what about the red on the wings: stripe? or full wingtip?

Any help will be appreciated on this build. I'll be using the Eduard 1/48 I-16 type 10 kit as the basis with modest corrections to the cowl and a Squadron vac canopy.

Hi Wally 7506. I'm sorry I don't have the answers. I am just writing to say that I have exactly the same questions.

I currently have a WIP for a 1/72 type 5 and discussion of wing style, black rudder, all kinds of things are available regarding '23' yet almost nothing seems to have primary evidence to back it up.

I have given up on modelling Tucker's aircraft for now, but would really like to see it done and to hopefully get closer to the truth of the real appearance.

As an aside, is the picture of him in the cockpit available on the web?

Good luck and I hope someone can answer the questions.

Best regards

Tony

Thank you Ginger. I had seen the picture long ago. It's a very nicely written piece.

This picture seems to show a field modification. The canopy isn't pushed forwards, there is just a front piece. I've looked very hard at it and it doesn't look like a type 10 curved windshield, it looks more like the more angled front section only of a type 5 canopy, but I cannot be sure.

The way the gunsight (typical of a type 5) exits the windshield with what appears to be light framing around the opening also looks a lot like the way this occurs on the front section of a type 5 canopy.

Maybe Tinker had his aircraft modified using the front portion only of a type 5 canopy, pre-dating what would become a design feature of the Type 10 and offering a more elegant solution than the fixed forward slid canopy of what seems to have become christened the 'Type 6' in Spain?

It makes for quite a unique aircraft appearance if so. I recently read Dahl's post-combat story, it is fascinating and almost unbelievable.

All best regards

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

I can't provide you any positive solution to this problem, but may suggest some what-nots:

This photo

HighFlight-YankeeSquadron3-300x208.jpg...obviously shows I-15 Chato, not an I-16.

This picture

HighFlight-YankeeSquadron6-300x141.jpg

...is rather fantasy of the painter, as the CM-023 was I-16 type 5 from the very first batch of 31 airframes delivered to Spain, while the picture shows quite late vesrion of type 10 (or maybe even later) with big propeller boss, short holes around exhaust pipes and guns above engine. Also the painting scheme is typical for late planes in late period of the war.

Speaking about general numbering schemes and particular numbers of Tinker's Moscas, fine French "Avions" book L'aviation de Chasse de la Republique Espagnole 1936/1939 (Fighter airplanes of the Spanish Republic 1936/1939) gives numbers 23 and 65 for Tinker, and shows a photo of 65 - in early 1936 scheme with black nose and number "65" over the yellow field of the rudder (but the caption attributes this plane to the "Soviet unit"). It is sure that earlier in the war 23 had the same scheme. On the other hand, later, other scheme has been adapted and numbering became like "CM-xxx" where "xxx" was the original number of the airframe written in a tri-digit scheme. There are photos showing even the very first "1" marked like that in 1938 (CM-001) The new scheme was introduced in May 1937, so before Tinker's first flights on i-16 (early June). Numbers were generally black. White ones indicated commanders of various sort, mostly of the squadron (but possibly the group too).

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 1

I don't want to be the rain in your parade, but that pic showing Tinker into his plane cockpit, is not of an I-16, but an I-15. Don't worry about the weird windscreen shape....

Tinker's early Type 5 used the standard closed canopy, but usually fixed in the open position. Canopy frames used to be aluminium colour, not green overpainted.

Cheers...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Bobk: Very well made video! Downloading it as I write. The 'handheld camera' during the first start sequence is quite convincing!

Incidentally, what's the sim software you've been using? I have a project concerning Swedish AF in the late 1950s coming up in a few months and I'm looking for the best way of creating a few short scenes involving SAAB 29 recce planes (S 29C). Any hints? ;-)

Kind regards,

Joachim

PS Please PM me, if you wish, in order not to derail this thread…