NA P 51 D Mustang, Academy + ESCI, 1/72

Hi,

Another archive model from my shelves- this one for sure older that 12 years. This is P 51 D -20 Mustang "Jumpin' Jacques" of 3rd FS, 3th FG, 5th Army USAAF, Philippines-Okinawa 1945, pilot Lt. John E. Young. Currently this painting scheme is in Hasegawa 1/72 box, but here the kit is from Academy and decals by ESCI. NMF by brush.

p51d Dsc01546a

p51d Dsc01549ap51d Dsc01548ap51d Dsc01547ap51d DSC01550

Comments welcome and regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 12

Hi Jerzy!!!

Its so nice to see interesting things from your showcase as "In Detail" as always.

I remember this decal sheet with so many and interesting versions, as I remember specially one that used a Winged Clover Ace for a plane that have some Me 262 aircraft downed and had the profile in a sorely missed old R/C magazine, the Don Gentile's Shangri-La, The Flying Undertaker, The Nice Tangerine and the nice Miss Marylin...and also the nice Thunderbolt versions leaded by the Skull and Crossbones for Glenn Eaglestone's plane...so you can figure a long and wonderful procession of Mustangs and Thunderbolts graced with all those versions and wonder the questions: "Who remembers the FIRST conversion you did in your modeling life???"...it was for sure the very FIRST TIME you changed decals to a kit you were building...do you remember???...BTW it was my first when I rushed to build the very Old Airfix Series I simple but nice P51 D Mustang with this version you depicted here!!!.

Watching your nice build as you did, with "Old School Techniques" of NMF Hand Painted, and those decals remind me of the older times when the JOY was the first and HIGH QUALITY just an added bonus that will be learned while on the road and after some builds in the time...but for sure, I would love if all the builds I did at that time(1980) this set was sold here locally in the hobby shop for Q1.00= S$1.00 and the Airfix Blister Mustang for Q1.50=US$1.50 would have been as resplendent as your nice build Mustang depicted here...as with less that nice common sense,some technical knowledge learned "uin combat" and an investment of some US$15.00 anyone can build all in the decal sheet as I did.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Thank you Luis! - indeed first conversions were new decals or simply another painting scheme. I think I was 10 or 11 when I started to do another markings then in box. From the same age I remember my frist "hardware" conversion - this was attempt to upgrade PZL P23 Karas but not the nice Heller kit but there was old Polish model which was strongly not correct (BTW - it is still available : http://www.mojehobby.pl/products/PZL-23B-Karas-7986173.html).I was tryind to add landing lapms, re-shaped the wheel fairings and modified cowling.... I remember my disapointment, that my class collegues did not understood what I am tarying to talk to them about. Only with my older brother we could talk together about it ...

But I am trully deeply impressed that you remember exactly what was on this ESCI set regarding P 51 and P47!!!

I did also Shagri-La (Monogram P51 B - it is still on my shelvs - I have to clean it intensively before posting - it is 40 years old model ....- :) ). I am still intending to do another P 51 D from European front (Italy or UK based) - so perhaps I will go back to those decals to see possibilities... But P47 I will do Brazilian one - from another old ESCI set.

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

Hi Jerzy and Nephew Luis Alfonso!

Agree that it is a nice Mustang and the paint scheme is also not unknown to me. Have the Hasegawa kit in the stash since the mid-nineties and a Microscale decal sheet as I wanted to build the model as the "Big Beautiful Doll". The sheet contains also the "Flying Undertaker" version and some options for the B-model.

Have a nice evening

Mario

• Like 2

Hi Jerzy and Uncle Mario!!!

BTW I remember the PZL P 23 Karas you did, this kit is very simple and need a little work here and there, but really with your talent for sure this one end in wonderful way. A friend here who was owner of Royal Hobby Shop loves the East Europena kits and in late 1980's brought here many kits he bought from a dealer in USA from East European makers and have seen this one transformed in a nice collection piece but have demanded some plane knowledge and a great taste for the subject. He had both the Heller and this one an Incredible...he preferred the polish kit!!

I have vivid memories of the ESCI MUstang/Thunderbolt sheet as I have build all the ESCI sheet planes as far as I remember and those all planes without one or two that were given to a friend, were lost in the Infamous Shelves Crash some of you know...I think i have bought it again one or two times and have built some but not remember if there are some in the stash, so will look and say later...this ESCI decals sheet is for me like a first love: Unforgettable!!! I will see as things here improved for some missing sets in Ebay and if available for sure will be acquired.

Maybe one day we can do a group build with a ready available kit, in common or not, maybe a B or D Mustang, a Thunderbolt or anyrthing built by Revell or Academy with an ESCI DECAL version or a Microscale one just to share a little and maybe make something we can watch the start, the things along the road and the finish to have a nice time...you can say what you think about and if are interested in the proposition.

As I have getting some order in the stash, I have readily available in the stash: Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mustangs B/C/D, Thunderbolts, Messerschmitt Bf 109, FW 190 A....you say what do you think.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 2

Luis, the idea of group build can be Ok. I have Esci set with Brazilian decals to P47, as I said, as you know already I have also with P39 and P38, Hurricanes and P40 as well as D520 and Morane 406. For sure one day I will do P 47 in Brazilian markings from Italy and D 520 with one of the set...

Hasta luego

J-W

• Like 1

Hi Jerzy!!!

This is nice to know, we can wait what Uncle Mario say and we can arrange when we start and how we can make to share progress and other things. Maybe we can make here a WIP or other way... I am happy with the idea!!!

For me the P 47 theme will be nice, I have the Hasegawa, Matchbox and Academy Razorbacks, JO-HAN, Revell Germany, and Heller bubbletops...I'd like the Razorback from Hasegawa with a version like the one in green and grey this ESCI sheet has.

Hasta luego Mi Amigo!!!

Luis Alfonso

• Like 2

Hi Jerzy and Nephew Luis Alfonso!

The idea of a group build doesn´t sound bad, although have some mixed emotions because of some experiences. Think Jerzy and me will need a lot of patience...

What shall be the subject of the group build? Mustangs, Thunderbolts, Latin American Airforces or Second World War? Could offer the Guatemalan Mustang project.

Have a nice Sunday

Mario

• Like 2

Hi Mario and Luis Alfonso,

Regarding Latin America machines I planning only Brazilian P47 D from Italy with bazookas and Haitanian Douglas O 38E ( :) - that is nice machine from antisubmarine patrols during WWII, a resin kit by Ardpol and self made decals). I am ready to start them since I have all meterials colected already. Perhaps I can do some more like Maxican P47 D from Philippines (a new one or a upgrade of old Revell kit which I did 40+ years ago) and sometimes I considering a Brazilian Grumman Gosling - but rather I will do US Coast Guard one. Of others I was sometimes thinking on B 18 Bolo in Brazilian colours but I will rather do Canadian one. Of model I have in planes (and in stash) Brazil used also FW 58 and FW 44 but I will not go to them. That is all....:)

Best regards

J-W

• Like 2

Hi Jerzy!

I also had a PM Beechcraft Expeditor or another Revell P-26 to offer. Regarding the Mustang, I would like to build a post Second World War version. Let´s see what Luis Alfonso thinks when he´s awake on his side of the pond.

Cheers!

• Like 2

Hi Mario and Jerzy:

I have in my stash for Guatemalan Air Force Mustangs, Texans, C-47, C-45, and Huey Helicopters but my Favourite will be a Douglas B-26 Invader or a Mustang in any nice Guatemalan version...I have found some profiles and would like to build a Mustang with numeral 381 as this was the plane My Brother had in charge when he was at the Mustang Squadron, BTW have been looking for a nice version to do a T-34 in Salvadorean markings, a P-47 for Brazilian and Mexican Air Force, together with a De Havilland Vampire, thinking in other things related with Spanish Civil War and dealing with something for Vietnam War. The thing is that we can define when we will start and where we can document some progress about the build and make some comments about.

The P-26 is another nice alternative, and also can do a Cessna 337/O-2 in Guatemalan Air Force Markings...

Now what of all the mentioned kits will be available for us and what we will do:All the same plane or each one with its opwn chosen subject???

just drop a line and tell me what we will do and I will follow the chosen path with happiness and energy!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 2

Mario and Luis Alfonso,

Since I am doing ony 1935-45 and I would not like to do nothing else - I propose that only topic "Latin America" is a framework for group build.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

Mario and Luis Alfonso,

Since I am doing ony 1935-45 and I would not like to do nothing else - I propose that only topic "Latin America" is a framework for group build.

Cheers

J-W

I AGREE with you Jerzy!!! Nice Idea!!

There are many aircraft built before end of WWII who were in service at that time in Latin American Air Forces BUT just take in account that many aircraft designed and used in WWII were in service in Latin America until late 60's-Early 70's, so I want to know if you agree if the timeframe can be extended to define the title as "Aircraft in Use in Latin American Air Forces built between 1935-1945" as in this side of the ponde cases like the AT-6 Texan, Mustangs and Thunderbolts, C-47, C-46, A/B 26 Invaders and other spices ender their service very late.

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 2

Defintly yes for time extension - the limitation '35-'45 is only my limit :) You may do it much wider for sure

Its because at that time anyone can find some colourful schemes for some planes, but for sure, there would be many aircraft -Allied and Axis- that can be depicted in kit as for example the Junkers C-79, JU-86, FW-200 Condor and from the US the more mundane types currently fonund here... :)

• Like 2

Your plan sounds good to me. If we choose the Latin American Airforces subject, I would like to do the already planned FAG camouflaged Mustang. If Jerzy isn´t willing to do another P-51 and if all of us need to build the same plane, could offer another Peashooter as alternative.

• Like 2

Sorry Mario - I will not do Latin American P51. They were not used in WWII as I know - so they are outside my 1935-45 limits. The one extra P51 I want to do is a early P51D from Europe. Of Latin America mashines I have in my planes for sure a bit bizzare Douglas O38E in Haitanian markings and normal P47D Bubbletop in Brazilian colours from Italy scheme (decals by ESCI, 40+ years waiting in my drawer to be used...)

Best regards

J-W